Searching for the Truth: Poems & Prose…

Searching for the Truth: Poems & Prose Inspired by Our Inner Worlds (edition 2014)

by Maranda Russell (Author)

412,396,706 (5)None
Member:MH_at_home
Title:Searching for the Truth: Poems & Prose Inspired by Our Inner Worlds
Authors:Maranda Russell (Author)
Info:Maranda Russell (2014), Edition: 1, 61 pages
Rating:*****

Searching for the Truth: Poems & Prose Inspired by Our Inner Worlds by Maranda Russell

Searching For The Truth: Poems & Prose Inspired by our Inner Worlds by Maranda Russell begins with the dedication: “For everyone who isn’t afraid to search for the truth, even if it means looking outside your comfort zone.”

The book takes a very personal look at difficult topics like death, uncertainty, pain, and fear. In the intro Maranda describes her writing style as “short, blunt, and to the point”; personally I found that strengthened the poems rather than weakening them. Descriptors are concise but meaningful, like “emotional sewage” and “their heads sloshing over with tough questions.”

One short, powerful poem focuses on all-consuming bitterness. Another talks about forgiving someone who only saw the worst in her. One of my favourite poems was On Opinions, and I think it needs to be put on a sign and waved around vigorously as needed:

Everyone has opinions,
but not everyone
should share theirs.

I’m sorry to tell you,
but your opinions –
no matter how closely held,
do not override
scientific fact.

This is a short book that's easy to read even for non-poets, and I'd definitely recommend it! ( )
  MH_at_home | Feb 6, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,325,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible