Little Boy Lost by J. D. Trafford

Little Boy Lost (edition 2017)

by J. D. Trafford (Author)

Member:debkrenzer
Title:Little Boy Lost
Authors:J. D. Trafford (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2017), 316 pages
Collections:read

Little Boy Lost by J.D. Trafford

Little Boy Lost is one of those books that right from the start felt right. I instantly liked and later came to love Justin Glass, his daughter and the rest of his family, well perhaps not so much his brother Lincoln who is, to be honest, a bit of a jerk now and then. I also love the story. I mean it starts off with Justin being hired by a little girl to find her brother and she is paying him through money from a cuss jar. Yeah, I know, I was sold right from the start.

This is the kind of book that is a true enjoyment from the beginning until the end, the case with the missing and then later found dead boy together with other dead boys are interesting, but I enjoyed as well everything that was going on around in Justin life, from his daughter getting bullied, to him getting a very assertive assistant that makes his working life much easier. The book deals with a lot of issues that plague our time, from racism to bullying. And, as Justin notice, a black man reporting a crime is most likely going to be treated as a suspect and it's awful to read about how violent the police are towards an unarmed man. That is one scene that is very disturbing because how many times haven't I read about a black man or a woman who is unarmed being killed in the US.

Now, the ending was not a terribly surprising, but I liked it. It fitted the story. And, I would very much like to read more about Justin Glass and his family.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 19, 2017 |
I loved the opening of this book. An 8 year old girl comes to Justin Glass, a lawyer, with a pickle jar filled with coins and a few bills. She wants to hire Justin to find her brother who has been missing for a month.

When Justin decides that he will look into it, what he finds is shocking. Someone is kidnapping and murdering black teenagers and burying them in the woods outside of St. Louis. Their one connection? They have all been in and out of the justice system since a very young age.

I really liked this book a lot. It reminded me of the Thomas Mullen books that deal with racial tensions and narrated by the blacks that are being prejudiced against. So there is actually a lot more going on in this book than just finding the little girl's brother.

An enjoyable read that I just sped through. The first book I've read by this author and it definitely won't be the last.

Thanks to Thomas & Mercer and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Nov 14, 2017 |
Unlikely ending

The Glass family has been an important political force in the racially tense city of St. Louis. Two brothers, Justin and Lincoln, are in line to inherit their father's political machine and continue the family tradition. Justin the lawyer has been on a downward personal spiral for years since the death of his wife, but he picks himself up to help a little girl find her lost brother. When the lost brother's body is found in a mass grave, and when one mass grave leads to horrifying scenes of serial murders, Justin's inner fire begins to burn.

I found the identity of the murderer a bit unlikely but overall the book reads well and promised to be the start of a series we will enjoy.

I received a review copy of "Little Boy Lost" by J. D. Trafford (Thomas & Mercer) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Oct 26, 2017 |
Justin Glass, whose father and brother are influential politicians, is a widowed single father just beginning to recover after his wife's death. His legal practice in St. Louis is failing, but he agrees to help a little girl find her brother, a delinquent missing for several months. The police ask him to serve as a liaison to the black community, which trusts him as one of their own but won't cooperate with law enforcement. When the boy's body is found with numerous others it becomes obvious there's a serial killer targeting young black recidivists, and Justin and the cops try to find a common link. Meanwhile, his daughter is being bullied by classmates and his family is pressuring him to get into the family business.

I enjoyed this well-written and absorbing story right until the rushed ending, which kind of ruined it for me. It should have been drawn out much more in keeping with the rest of the tale. ( )
  auntmarge64 | Sep 21, 2017 |
Justin Glass is a member of a prominent black family in St Louis. His father is a US Congressman, his brother is a Senator and Julian is a lawyer doing mainly pro bono work for those who are unable to pay. But since the death of his wife, he has not been coping well. He has spent most of his days struggling with grief, letting his work slip and ignoring his daughter, Sammy who is being bullied at school. In fact, things have gotten so bad that he and Sammy have had to move into a guest house at the home of his white father-in-law.

But his life is about to change drastically when eight-year-old Tanisha Walker tries to hire him to find her missing brother. Although he tries to convince her he can’t help, he decides to phone a friend in the police department. He learns that Tanisha’s brother is just one of several teenaged African-American boys who have disappeared, all with criminal records going back to their pre-teens. Not exactly a priority issue for the police who assume that they have run away and, frankly, are not unhappy they are gone. But then bodies of several of these missing boys are found, all clearly the work of one killer and Glass is asked to help find him since many of the families and friends of the dead kids refuse to talk to the police.

Despite strong reservations, Glass decides to help. He soon finds himself up against racism, and a legal system that seems to have no interest in finding the killer especially as the clues that Glass uncover appear to point to one of their own.

Little Boy Lost by author J.D. Trafford is listed as a thriller but, as several other reviewers have pointed out, it is more a legal/murder mystery. Much of the story is about Glass’ relationship with his daughter, his brother, and his father’s efforts to get him to run for his seat in Congress as well as the Bosnian refugees who run his favourite coffee shop and introduce him to his new secretary/office manager. There is also a great deal about his daughter’s bullying and a client who refuses to plead guilty to a misdemeanor offence because, although this is hardly his first arrest, it is the first for a crime he is innocent of. All of this seems like it should have taken away from the story but, for the most part, it didn’t. These characters were interesting, mostly likable, and added to the story.

The book is well-written and gives an interesting look at race relations in America both inside and out of the judicial system although, again judging from other reviews, if you tend to be on the more Conservative side of the issue, you might want to give it a pass. For the rest, I give it a high recommendation.

Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  lostinalibrary | Sep 7, 2017 |

"Attorney Justin Glass's practice, housed in a shabby office on the north side of Saint Louis, isn't doing so well that he can afford to work for free. But when eight-year-old Tanisha Walker offers him a jar full of change to find her missing brother, he doesn't have the heart to turn her away. Justin had hoped to find the boy alive and well. But all that was found of Devon Walker was his brutally murdered body--and the bodies of twelve other African American teenagers, all discarded like trash in a mass grave. Each had been reported missing. And none had been investigated. As simmering racial tensions explode into violence Justin...vows to search for the killer..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible