Hellbent: An Orphan X Novel (Orphan X, 3) by…

Hellbent: An Orphan X Novel (Orphan X, 3) (edition 2018)

by Gregg Hurwitz (Author)

Series: Orphan X (3)

Evan Smoak--government assassin gone rogue--returns in Hellbent, an engrossing, unputdownable thriller from Gregg Hurwitz, the latest in his #1 international bestselling Orphan X series.Taken from a group home at age twelve, Evan Smoak was raised and trained as an off-the-books government assassin: Orphan X. After he broke with the Orphan Program, Evan disappeared and reinvented himself as the Nowhere Man, a man spoken about only in whispers and dedicated to helping the truly desperate.But this time, the voice on the other end is Jack Johns, the man who raised and trained him, the only father Evan has ever known. Secret government forces are busy trying to scrub the remaining assets and traces of the Orphan Program and they have finally tracked down Jack. With little time remaining, Jack gives Evan his last assignment: find and protect his last prot g and recruit for the program.But Evan isn't the only one after this last Orphan--the new head of the Orphan Program, Van Sciver, is mustering all the assets at his disposal to take out both Evan (Orphan X) and the target he is trying to protect.… (more)
Member:Reddog999
Title:Hellbent: An Orphan X Novel (Orphan X, 3)
Authors:Gregg Hurwitz (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2018), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages

Work Information

Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz

Thank you so much to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for getting me into this awesome series by Greg Hurwitz. “Hellbent” continues Evan Smoak’s amazing and increasingly destructive life after he receives a call from his mentor and father figure, asking for help. But is it too late for Jack to be saved? Swirling at the middle of all the madness as usual is Orphan Y, Evan’s nemesis from the boy’s home, who just can’t seem to let go of his bone to pick with Evan, no matter how many people are killed along the way. Evan Smoak has been taught to repress emotion his entire life and Hurwitz shines in the moments where feeling forces itself to the surface, in that oh so painful phone call saying goodbye, when he’s forced to question what he’s doing and whether he should continue on his path.

Complicating things is the mission Jack sends him on, who, let’s just say is a handful in her on right. Joey’s intrusion into his life forces Evan to question his rigid boundaries, as well as how life could have diverged for him if he had been able to stop at sixteen. It’s the really cool emotional meat of Evan Smoak that I love reading, so this was an especially cool development.

And of course, the further along we go, the deeper the rabbit hole goes. There were some tantalizing peeks at what is to come, how far the conspiracy leads, and what may be in store for Orphan X in the future. I know I can’t wait for the next book!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
This is the second Orphan X novel that I have read and I really enjoyed this one. It was brutal at times but it was also a fast-paced, action-packed, pulse-pounding thriller. This time Orphan X had to protect sixteen-year-old Joey, an ex-orphan, from highly professional assassins.

Joey was a great inclusion. She was a gifted computer hacker with a smart mouth but also with a vulnerable side to her. I loved how she interacted with Evan and made him feel out of his depth. She also brought out the softer side of Evan, giving him more emotional depth. I hope Joey appears in subsequent novels because I liked how the two balanced each other out.

"Hellbent" was an entertaining read and I look forward to finding the next Evan Smoak adventure. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Feb 23, 2022 |
Two vengeance books back-to-back for me. And, I'm finally enjoying this series as much as Hurwitz's Tim Rackley series.

This novel picks up where The Nowhere Man ended: Charles Van Sciver (Orphan Y) is still trying to kill Evan Smoak (Orphan X.) Van Sciver kidnaps Evan's mentor, Jack Jones, who taught him everything. Jack dies, but cleverly hides a message instructing Evan to pick up a package, which turns out to be a teenage girl named Joey, who was discharged from Orphan training and is now also a target for Van Sciver and his team of mercenaries and loyal Orphans. Of course, intertwined is a sad story of a father panicked by the likely loss of his son to the ultraviolent MS-13 gang, turning to Jack in his alter ego: the Nowhere Man. Hurwitz does a great job intersecting the two storylines as well as further developing Evan's humanity in helping rescue Joey from herself. And the ending sets the stage for a showdown with one of the most powerful men in existence. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Another great episode in the Orphan X series. This one was the most emotional of the bunch so far. There was still plenty of bloody goodness but more opportunities for Evan to get in touch with his feelings and make some tough choices.

I think I might love Evan a little bit. But I also might love Candy McClure a little, too. I do have a soft spot for women who are damaged and might be fixable...

If you enjoyed the first two, you know you're not going to stop reading the series and I don't think you'll be disappointed. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  snorrelo | Feb 22, 2021 |

Gregg Hurwitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good. ~ John Steinbeck, East of Eden
To Gary and Karen Messing and Darra and Zach Brewer, You don't get to choose your family, but sometimes you luck out.
Evan's scuffed knuckles, a fetching post-fight shade of eggplant, ledged the steering wheel.
So look at me. Look at me very closely. And ask yourself: Do I look scared?
Don't push. Just be there. Be Steady.
You're okay. You're gonna be fine. You're worth it.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
You're not deficient. Yeah, I am. I'm broken. Then let's unbreak you. Oh, it's that easy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,958,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible