Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is? (AV2 Fiction Readalong)

by Robert E. Wells

Illustrates the concept of big, bigger, and biggest by comparing the physical measurements of such large things as a blue whale, a mountain, a star, and the universe.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Reading Level: Primary[return]Genre: Nonfiction - Informational[return][return]Summary: In the story the author is trying to get us to understand exactly how big the universe is. He starts with comparing the biggest animal on Earth, a blue whale, to Mount Everest, then Mount Everest to the Earth, and so on until he scans out to the Milky Way galaxy and compares that to the entire universe.[return][return]The author uses colorful pictures to illustrate the differences between the objects discussed in the book. [return]The book could be used as an introduction to comparisons.
  kristi_test_01 | Sep 12, 2019 |
Enjoyed by our boys and stored in the attic for the next generation, enough said. ( )
  expatscot | Aug 29, 2018 |
This is a great book to read for young children. It teaches them how to compare things, and how big the universe really is. I think this book can be used for both a science and math class. For a science class I would use this to talk about space and how big it is compared to objects on earth. I would use this as a math lesson to teach comparisons in numbers and sizes. This book helps children realize the many things around us, and how they all vary in size. The author starts out by comparing a big object, like a whale, to an even bigger object and so on and so forth. The author also uses colors illustrations to keep the reader entertained. Overall very enjoyable read. ( )
  NihadKased | Nov 24, 2016 |
This book starts with a blue whale and tell about how large it is in relation to other things on earth and in our galaxy. It uses a lot of tough vocabulary that i dont think most children would be able to understand. It might also be hard for them to grasp just how small of pieces we are in our universe at such young ages. ( )
  kfrost32 | Sep 16, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

AV2 (Fiction Readalong)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,492,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible