The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur…

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1893)

by Arthur Conan Doyle, Leslie S. Klinger (Editor)

Series: The Sherlock Holmes Collection (4)

English (56)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)
These are the stories that started a whole new genre. Well, there were others written before, but Conan Doyle was the best. Unfortunately, I'm not that big of a fan. I found the stories to be overwritten (Doyle was paid by the word), as well as dull at times. There were a few standouts - specifically "The Yellow-Face", which took an unexpected view of mixed race children from Sherlock Holmes. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 3, 2019 |
An amazing effort from a tired A.C. Doyle to give substance to Holmes' background and eulogize him. Like many authors following, Doyle wanted to move on from what had launched his career, but, alas, the public wouldn't have it. Short of [b:The Hound of the Baskervilles|6609203|The Hound of the Baskervilles|Ian Edginton|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389466626s/6609203.jpg|25534815] for obvious reasons, this is the most cohesive and the finest of the Holmes books.

The Complete Novels and Short Stories, Vol. 1 ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I like it.
I kind of thought this might happen in this book, but there is like five other books after this one so I thought it would happen a little later on. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
This compilation of eleven short stories includes various peculiar tales and adventures of Holmes and Watson. I love just about every version of Sherlock Holmes I’ve encountered, but there’s a particular delight in reading the original stories. Sometimes I see parts that have inspired other versions and adaptations. (The book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time takes its title from something Holmes says in “The Adventure of the Silver Blaze.”) Other times I see where those adaptations may have been wrong (Why is Moriarty’s first name Jim in the BBC Sherlock series, when “The Final Problem” states Moriarty’s brother’s name is James?) Either way it’s a lot of fun. If you like the character at all, you will want to read some of the original tales, and there’s no better place to start than The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Jan 8, 2019 |
This collection isn't quite as good as "The Adventures", but in some ways it shows a continued improvement in Doyle's overall style.Many stories open with a more interesting description of the season, the times, or the relationship of our two central characters. (Watson's discussion of Holmes' neatness and simultaneous messiness in 'The Musgrave Ritual' is marvellous!)

After my bad experiences with the first two books, I can't believe that I now look forward to every Holmes and Waston story, and yet I do. Every story in this volume is interesting and enjoyable, however more than a few have a tendency to slip back into the fantastic and melodramatic modes that coloured "The Sign of the Four" and "A Study in Scarlet". (most notably 'The Yellow Face').

Strangely, the only story I didn't really enjoy was 'Silver Blaze' which is, I understand, quite popular. 'The Final Problem', on the other hand, is delightful in its descriptive passages, and the unique situation of seeing Holmes in such danger. A very good read. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Illustrated Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Celebrated Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Contains

Has the (non-series) sequel

Is expanded in

Was inspired by

Inspired

'I am afraid, Watson, that I shall have to go,' said Holmes, as we sat down together to our breakfast one morning.
The public not unnaturally goes on the principle that he who would heal others must himself be whole.
It was a long two minutes before Grant Munro broke the silence, and when his answer came it was one of which I love to think. He lifted the little child, kissed her, and then, still carrying her, he held his other hand out to his wife and turned towards the door.
'We can talk it over more comfortably in the home,' said he. 'I am not a very good man, Effie, but I think that I am a better one than you have given me credit for being.'
A man always finds it hard to realise that he may have finally lost a woman's love, however badly he may have treated her.
'I don't think you need alarm yourself,' said I. 'I have usually found that there was method in his madness.'
'You are the stormy petrel of crime, Watson.'
This is the main work for Arthur Conan Doyle's short story collection The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Please do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0895773201, Hardcover)

Penzler Pick, February 2000: What is there about the greatest series of short stories in the history of the world that hasn't already been said? This is the second (of five) story collections by Doyle about the greatest detective in literature--and a splendid volume it is, containing such superb puzzles as "The Greek Interpreter," in which readers are introduced to Mycroft Holmes; "The Musgrave Ritual"; "Silver Blaze"; and the earth-shattering "The Final Adventure," recounting the struggle between Holmes and the evil Professor Moriarty in which the two titans were apparently killed as they went over the edge of the Reichenbach Falls.

But every mystery reader already knows this. I'm pointing out this marvelous book because it has been extensively annotated by a fine Sherlockian scholar, Les Klinger, who has brought to all serious students of the Holmesian canon a level of erudition seldom encountered. In addition to the expected illustrations from The Strand magazine and meticulous scrutiny of chronological evidence of various events, there are references to primary sources and a staggering helping of information from the thousands of works about Sherlock Holmes by others.

More than 30 years ago, another great Sherlockian scholar, William S. Baring-Gould, produced a ground-breaking volume that enjoyed more than 35 printings in its original two-volume format and probably sold just as many copies in a slightly less elaborate one-volume size. The Annotated Sherlock Holmes became the single most essential volume in the library of any true Sherlockian, of which the world has far more than you think.

Les Klinger has acknowledged Baring-Gould in every way imaginable, and it was an act of extraordinary courage to attempt to supercede that monumental work. But that is exactly what he appears to be doing. The first volume, his annotated edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, was introduced by the same publisher last year. There are seven yet to come.

If you want to master just about everything there is to know about The Great Detective and The Good Doctor, to understand what Holmes meant when he referred to "a comet vintage" of wine, and to know what discrepancies there are between the English and American editions of the works, plus a thousand other things relating to Holmes, Watson, and the England of the Victorian era, you must have this volume, as well as all the others in the series as they become available over the next few years. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

El gran ?xito de los relatos cortos recopilados en 'Las Aventuras de Sherlock Holmes' oblig? a Conan Doyle a prolongar las aventuras con 12 nuevas aventuras, publicadas igualmente en la revista Strand, y luego en el tomo recopilatorio. Doyle, autor de muchas otras grandes obras, ve?a eclipsada al resto de su obra por su gran detective, as? que tom? una decisi?n absolutamente radical: Sherlock Holmes iba a morir. De este modo, Doyle podr?a concentrarse en el tipo de libros que de verdad prefer?a escribir. Ser?a en el ?ltimo de los relatos, 'El Problema Final', donde Doyle tomar?a una decisi?n de la que pronto tendr?a que arrepentirse.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141035439, 0143120158, 0241952948

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832602, 1907832610

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,653,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible