The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1905)

by Arthur Conan Doyle, Leslie S. Klinger (Editor)

Series: Sherlock Holmes (4)

"This collection includes many of the most familiar cases Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson ever solve, including "Silver Blaze," "The Greek Interpreter," and "The Musgrave Ritual." As Holmes's fame grows, it brings him a notoriety that piques the ire of London's criminal underworld, who begin to scheme against him. It is in "The Final Problem" that Dr. Watson relates the grisly, fatal, and shocking tale of how Holmes finally meets his match, encountering the diabolical Professor Moriarty in a terrible struggle at Reichenbach Falls"--… (more)

English (70)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (74)
A very good collection, though, not without some throwaway stories. But, on the whole, just being introduced to Mycroft Holmes, and having Holmes' so-called "final" story are both enough for the price of admission.

Overall, however, this one actually feels as though ACD was running out of steam--or at least, falling out of love--with Holmes and Watson. Even the final story, in which Holmes supposedly dies, feels like it's given short shrift. That one should have been a novel.

Regardless, this collection also feels like it opens up the world a little more as well. Absolutely worth the read. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Jul 1, 2021 |
This collection isn't quite as good as "The Adventures", but in some ways it shows a continued improvement in Doyle's overall style.Many stories open with a more interesting description of the season, the times, or the relationship of our two central characters. (Watson's discussion of Holmes' neatness and simultaneous messiness in 'The Musgrave Ritual' is marvellous!)

After my bad experiences with the first two books, I can't believe that I now look forward to every Holmes and Waston story, and yet I do. Every story in this volume is interesting and enjoyable, however more than a few have a tendency to slip back into the fantastic and melodramatic modes that coloured "The Sign of the Four" and "A Study in Scarlet". (most notably 'The Yellow Face').

Strangely, the only story I didn't really enjoy was 'Silver Blaze' which is, I understand, quite popular. 'The Final Problem', on the other hand, is delightful in its descriptive passages, and the unique situation of seeing Holmes in such danger. A very good read. ( )
  therebelprince | Jun 24, 2021 |
Another excellent installment in the works of Doyle's Holmes and Watson.

We are finally introduced to Mycroft and Moriarty in this collection, and I was quite excited to see them making an appearance at last. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |
Another excellent installment in the works of Doyle's Holmes and Watson.

TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Is expanded in

Was inspired by

Inspired

'I am afraid, Watson, that I shall have to go,' said Holmes, as we sat down together to our breakfast one morning.
The public not unnaturally goes on the principle that he who would heal others must himself be whole.
It was a long two minutes before Grant Munro broke the silence, and when his answer came it was one of which I love to think. He lifted the little child, kissed her, and then, still carrying her, he held his other hand out to his wife and turned towards the door.
'We can talk it over more comfortably in the home,' said he. 'I am not a very good man, Effie, but I think that I am a better one than you have given me credit for being.'
A man always finds it hard to realise that he may have finally lost a woman's love, however badly he may have treated her.
'I don't think you need alarm yourself,' said I. 'I have usually found that there was method in his madness.'
'You are the stormy petrel of crime, Watson.'
This is the main work for Arthur Conan Doyle's short story collection The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Please do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

Some versions do not include The Adventure of the Cardboard Box "because of its controversial subject matter": https://bakerstreet.fandom.com/wiki/Th... and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adve...

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141035439, 0143120158, 0241952948

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832602, 1907832610

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,487,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible