Persuading Austen by Brigid Coady

Persuading Austen

by Brigid Coady

Recently added bycharl08, pgchuis, activelearning

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

A modern day retelling of "Persuasion", in which the updating worked pretty well, I thought. The Elliot and Musgrove families are actors cast in the filming of (confusingly) "Pride and Prejudice", with Anne Elliot as the producer and Austen (again, confusing - why not just Frederick?) Wentworth as Darcy.

It is hard to decide how much I would have enjoyed the story as it stood, if I were not looking out for and appreciating all the nods to the Austen novel. I found the beginning repetitive, with endless reminders of how kick ass Anne is in her job, but how weak in submitting to her terrible family. When we actually saw Anne doing her job, she didn't seem all that great at it - how difficult could it be to spot credit card payments going out of the film's budget?

There was a difference between the Austen novel and this one in the motivation for Anne to refuse Wentworth eight years ago; this novel introduced the concept of Anne needing to "find out who she was" (the answer seems to be - a producer). This muddied the waters somewhat and I found the ending rather abrupt - I wanted Anne and Austen to have a proper conversation about the past and the future. Also, I thought there was going to be a moment when he discovered her tattoo - I was looking forward to it... ( )
  pgchuis | Jul 9, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,669,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible