American Prince (2017)

by Sierra Simone

I've been many things.I've been a son and a stepbrother. An Army captain and a Vice President. But only with him am I a prince. His little prince.Only with Maxen and Greer does my world make sense, only between them can I find peace from the demons that haunt me. But men like me aren't made to be happy. We don't deserve it. And I should have known a love as sharp as ours could cut both ways.My name is Embry Moore and I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States...for now.This is the story of an American Prince.***This is the second book in the American Queen Trilogy***… (more)

This is all about the psychology of the Ash/Embry relationship touched on in American Princess, and a furtherance of this modern rendering of Morte d'Arthur begun in that book. There is sex. There is, once again, super smutty sex. What there is not, is hot sex. This is fraught sex. It is sex that is happening for REASONS.

The fraught nature of the sex creates a weird paradox. The underlying story in this book is wildly absurd. Really. And also absurd is the concept that there are one or two people in the universe you are irretrievably drawn to and you are powerless to deny the "love. But then there is an undeniable verisimilitude in the motivations of these characters, all of them, to act the way they act (until the end, which is ridiculous even if you are trying to create a modern Lancelot) and to beg people to hurt them, to scar them, to cause them real pain. The first Embry/Greer sex scene is freaking sick and horrifying, and triggering, but it also makes sense. I have seen a lot of pat answers in BDSM romances about why people need, or at least crave debasement and physical harm (giving or receiving) and some of them are so ridiculously Psych 101 (50 Shades comes immediately to mind, but there are many others) that all one can do is roll their eyes and move on. This series, and especially this book, comes closer to Tiffany Reisz than EL James. It is fascinating climbing inside the skin of these people.

Another plus for me - the author is smart, has a nuanced knowledge and understanding of English lit and mythology. (I enjoyed the lit exposition at least as much as the clit exposition in these books.) Petroclus rarely makes appearances in books with good 3-ways. Its too bad really. He is an intriguing character, as are most characters damned to hell.

All in all worth a read, but not nearly so fun as American Princess, nor as sexy -- IMHO not much hot happens in this book despite the frequent pulsing, pushing, gripping, dripping, shooting and clenching. Yes, I did check out the final book in this trilogy and its next on the playlist so let's see where we end up.

**** Note that I got these on audio through Hoopla, and the male reader of this book is really bad. He is supposed to be Embry, and there are two major issues. The first, his "Ash voice" is laughable, its so affected, like a child imitating a teacher -- a not very smart teacher. The second, Embry is supposed to be cultured and old-money. The reader does not properly enunciate, which would not be typical in Embry's circles. Servants would be expected to speak more precisely, and certainly favored sons would not get away with such sloppy articulation. The biggest issue is all the dropped "t" sounds. So "little" is "liddle" "important" is "impordand" "persistent" is "persisdand." Its not a few times, it is consistent, and it is off-putting. Educated people, especially Harvard grads who spent time at Oxford, speak properly. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 24, 2020 |
American Prince is book two in the New Camelot Trilogy and this book was just as terrifying, intense, beautiful and captivating as book two. Now I do want to point out that this review has spoilers, so if spoilers ruin your enjoyment of a story, go below to see the overall view.So now onward to this delightful story. I am so entrenched into this threeway love affair that we have going and never have I felt so consummed by a menage love tale or even a romance to be honest. There is something so intense and gratifying that we see between this couple and boy the SEX....first off I want to point out that that sex scenes that occur here are HOT, I didn't think they could get hotter than book one but I was wrong. There was definitely more of an edge to them and they won't be everyone. We see the light and the dark of human nature and that sometimes we need to push out the bad memories with something so intense and wild. This is something we see but we also go forward with the Arthurian legend and this is the part of the legend I was REALLY dreading. I knew it was coming up, you see the story slowly lead up to it but we also see the intensity, the powerful love between them all and we also see that there are times we hurt those we love even when it kills a part of us inside in the depths of our souls.American Prince is our story told in two points of view....Greer at times, but most of it comes in the view of Embry, our American Prince. We get those delicious flashbacks into his past, seeing him begin his military career, fighting Carpathia, falling in love with Ash and the unevitable way he pushes Ash away so that he can go forward with his career, a destiny that leads him to becoming The President of the United States and one of the best leaders the country has ever had. Embry hates having to hurt Ash through the story, we see how it breaks a part of him, but we also see that Embry is ashamed too and takes it out on Ash at times. Embry is learning to become the knight he was destined to be, even when his knighthood might make him enemies with the two people that he loves more than life but we see how much he is willing to sacrifice for Greer and Ash.Another part of our story is the present day timeline that we see happen. Now this book starts off right off after book one here. Where our beloved Greer, right after the perfect wedding night with the two men she loves (and yes it was blissfully perfect, one of the best love scenes I have ever read) she receives a text from her pain in the booty cousin and finds herself kidnapped and taken to the horrid leader of Carpathia who wants her. Greer knows that some horrible things are about to happen to her but she knows that she just has to stay alive until her men can come for her. She isn't the normal damsel in distress, she makes her escape attempts when she can but its fruitless but she is then rescued by Embry who comes for her. This is where I loved the alpha in Embry. He normally doesn't have it when around Ash, but he forces Ash to see that because of his position as President he can't rescue his wife. But Embry would risk everything for both Ash and Greer. But while during the rescue, he is a bit too late. Now I want to point out that Greer isn't raped fully, but there is some groping and abuse a bit that we see. And there is an intense scene of play that we see happen between Greer and Embry. But it proves to be what Greer actually needed to help her cleanse from what she had to suffer while in the enemies hands. But there are secrets to be revealed, blackmail of enemies to happen and the story turns down south when Embry has to face up to some facts and truths and the secrets that may destroy what they have forever....THIS BOOK!!! It tore me to shreds and yet I couldn't put this story down. I simply loved everything about this story but I really wanted more from the ending and I am hoping that we see all the goodness that I need in this couple in book three. I am really curious to see what happens between the three here in the conclusion of the series. And honestly I am coming to really despise Greer's cousin with a passion. She is horrid and really I have never EVER liked her, she treats Greer so horribly and we see how she has been helping their enemies and she wants to cause Greer so much pain and grief and I am really REALLY hoping that she gets the justice that she deserves in the conclusion because really there is no excuse in what she does. We get some pretty powerful moments in this story as we see the love story between Embry and Ash unfold, we see the hidden depths in their relationship and also the downfalls in their love tale and what really brings them back together. We see a side of Ash though and it really breaks my heart to see how much he has gone through, but we also see the strong man he is. I love how fiercely he loves the people in his life and never gives up on them no matter how much they hurt him. He has this solid strength that we begin to see the depths of here. Overall I found American Prince to be a delight....a tasty delectable pleasure that seeps into your bones and into the heart of the reader and twists all sorts of emotion and feels. I am so addicted to this trilogy and to this three way pairing that is compelling, raw and heartbreaking at times. I can't wait for American King and the beautiful conclusion to their love story and hope they get the fairy tale ending they all deserve!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 28, 2019 |
5 stars

Sweet holy hell. Taboo. Twisted. Epic. Unbelievable... I could go on and on with single adjectives and A LOT of swear words. This series. My heart. My world is rocked. This is a love story for the ages. Definitely, going to my all time favorites list. This is a whopper of a cliffhanger. I'm not seeing how this is going to end well for anyone. ( )
  MagicalRi | Apr 15, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

I’ve been many things.

I’ve been a son and a stepbrother. An Army captain and a Vice President.

But only with Him am I a prince. His little prince.

Only with Maxen and Greer does my world make sense, only between them can I find peace from the demons that haunt me. But men like me aren’t made to be happy. We don’t deserve it. And I should have known a love as sharp as ours could cut both ways.

My name is Embry Moore and I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States…for now.

This is the story of an American Prince.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,777,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible