When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer…

When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife (edition 2020)

by Meena Kandasamy (Author)

"Set in modern India, the unnamed narrator falls in love with a university professor and agrees to be his wife. Based on the author's own experience of marriage, soon the newly-wed experiences extreme violence at her husband's hands and finds herself socially isolated. Intellectual and physical cruelty is explored. Yet hope keeps her alive. Writing becomes her salvation, a supreme act of defiance and, as the subtitle suggests, the novel is also about the act of writing itself and the way that fiction and stories can help you escape" --… (more)
Member:LucilaRodriguez
Title:When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife
Authors:Meena Kandasamy (Author)
Info:Europa Editions (2020), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

Work Information

When I Hit You by Meena Kandasamy

English (7)  Latvian (1)  All languages (8)
*internal screaming* ( )
  breathstealer | Sep 19, 2023 |
This is a deeply moving and shocking account of how a woman becomes trapped in an abusive marriage, unable to break free. It is also a fractured picture of the woman who did eventually walk out and sought to re-build herself. And it's also an exploration of how she distanced herself from reality, both within the marriage and afterwards, through a writerly detachment so that the reader is never quite sure where the boundary lies between honest and fictitious, open and hidden. There is little focus on the husband or exploration of his motivation - the author's freedom to choose and it clearly would have been a different book with the addition of this element but it frustrated me at times. And there seems to be a sideline in addressing what might be termed feminist orthodoxy, not something I am familiar with so the point of it probably escaped me. Nevertheless a book which gives this reader much to ponder. July 2020 ( )
  alanca | Jul 30, 2020 |
I never thought that I will like so much a book that is so hard to read. Based in her real case [a:Meena Kandasamy|3027717|Meena Kandasamy|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1360459496p2/3027717.jpg] tell us the story of an abusive marriage and how she manage to escape. The book is important not only for women that are in that situation, but to all of us, to learn not to judge very fast when a woman is a victim of violence, to understand why is so difficult to report these abuses. Since she is also a poet we can see how part of the story sounds like a long poem. It makes it easy to read something as hard as home violence. ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
Domestic abuse is something that has begun to receive more of a dialogue in the mainstream media lately, which is hugely important, given how common it is. When I Hit You (or a portrait of the writer as a young wife) is an incredibly heart-wrenching, painfully important and raw account of a young Indian woman’s experience with domestic abuse.

We are taken through the life of an intelligent young writer who falls in love with a uni professor, and shortly afterwards accepts his marriage proposal. This short-lived romantic phase slowly turns into the disabling, isolation, repression, psychological manipulation, rape and physical abuse of the narrators character. The abuse within this story is best described as malignant, and Kandasamy does an excellent job of portraying just how difficult it is to break away from something so malevolent, especially as a woman.

With a strong, intelligent Feminist voice, the narrator describes her horrid journey of marriage in modern day India, and we’re left feeling exhausted yet awakened to the brutality that unfortunately lives in many homes around us today. An extremely important book.

- from polreaderblog[dot]wordpress[dot]com ( )
  polyreaderamy | Jun 11, 2018 |
Her second novel tells the story of a newly-wed writer experiencing rapid social isolation and extreme violence at her husband’s hands...The journey towards that assertion is a tough one. It begins with a stripping of the narrator’s autonomy after her marriage to a university lecturer, Marxist and one-time revolutionary in south India who uses communist ideas “as a cover for his own sadism”. When she moves with him to an unfamiliar city, an assault on her tongue, mind and body begins....Shame, pride and a society in which everyone from parents to police expects a woman to put up and shut up force the realisation that only she can save herself... Open it, however, and a voice emerges that expresses desire, feels pain and has steely courage. It screams from its demure outerwear, refusing to be silenced in its search for love. The reader is left with the impact and implications of that, and the ideal of servile Indian femininity is in tatters at last.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,120,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible