Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson

Leonardo da Vinci (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Walter Isaacson (Author)

"He was history's most creative genius. What secrets can he teach us? The [bestselling biographer] brings Leonardo da Vinci to life in this exciting new biography. Drawing on thousands of pages from Leonardo's astonishing notebooks and new discoveries about his life and work, Walter Isaacson weaves a narrative that connects his art to his science. He shows how Leonardo's genius was based on skills we can improve in ourselves, such as passionate curiosity, careful observation, and an imagination so playful that it flirted with fantasy. His creativity, like that of other great innovators, came from standing at the intersection of the humanities and technology. He peeled flesh off the faces of cadavers, drew the muscles that move the lips, and then painted history's most memorable smile on the Mona Lisa. He explored the math of optics, showed how light rays strike the cornea, and produced illusions of changing perspectives in The Last Supper. Isaacson also describes how Leonardo's lifelong enthusiasm for staging theatrical productions informed his paintings and inventions. His ability to combine art and science, made iconic by his drawing of what may be himself inside a circle and a square, remains the enduring recipe for innovation. His life should remind us of the importance of instilling, both in ourselves and our children, not just received knowledge but a willingness to question it; to be imaginative and, like talented misfits and rebels in any era, to think different."--Jacket.… (more)
Member:amiraa
Title:Leonardo da Vinci
Authors:Walter Isaacson (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2018), Edition: Reprint, 624 pages

Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson (2017)

English (50)  Spanish (1)  All languages (51)
Great book about one of humanity’s all time great individuals. Isaacson does a great job illustrating Leonardo along with the world he lived in. My only desire is if there were even more images of the notebook pages as Isaacson described them. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |
This in-depth look into the life of Leonardo will make you look at the world differently. Isaacson makes the case that Da Vinci earned his genius through hard work and curiosity. The concluding chapter gives advice on " learning from Leonardo" which was a great game away! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Isaacson always delivers. I’m vacationing in Italy and thoroughly enjoying learning of da Vinci’s life and works. The polymath. I already keep notebooks, but this has also inspired me to start learning to draw. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Slightly over long but there's obviously a lot to cram in. I'd never fully appreciated Leonardo da Vinci's efforts in science before reading - I knew of his attempted inventions and anatomy studies but he really was breaking new ground in several fields, albeit often purely for his own curiosity and never published or announced. Inspiring guy. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
The first biography I ever read. I found it really fascinating. Leonardo really was a genius. ( )
  melosomelo | Jul 28, 2020 |

Walter Isaacsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clercq, Anne-Sophie deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerlier, JérémieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Introduction) Around the time that he reached the unnerving milestone of turning thirty, Leonardo da Vinca wrote a letter to the ruler of Milan listing the reasons he should be given a job.
Leonardo da Vinci had the good luck to be born out of wedlock.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,917,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible