Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

Dread Nation (edition 2018)

by Justina Ireland (Author)

Series: Dread Nation (1)

1,1918012,476 (4.2)55
Jane McKeene is born two days before the dead begin to walk the battlefields of Civil War-era America---derailing the War Between the States and changing the nation forever. Years later, Jane is studying to become an Attendant, trained in both weaponry and etiquette to protect the well-to-do. It's a chance for a better life for Negro girls like Jane. But that's not a life Jane wants. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston's School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set on returning to her Kentucky home and doesn't pay much mind to the politics of the eastern cities, with their talk of returning America to the glory of its days before the dead rose. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems.… (more)
Member:waldwickmediacenter
Title:Dread Nation
Authors:Justina Ireland (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2018), 464 pages

Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

4.5 - Fun and riveting ride in an alternate universe post civil war, great characters and amazing narration. A bit predictable at times but a nice adventure/action read with zombies. Looking for something easy to follow that is fun and engaging look no further. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |
A relatively fun quick read. Who doesn't like the idea of zombies in the Reconstruction era? Except there is no reconstruction to be had in this story, since the zombies rose after Gettysburg and the hostilities ceased to deal with that threat. Decades later, it's still not over but now the US is divided between Egalitarians and Survivalists. The main protagonists are two black girls sent to combat schools since the role of blacks is to now protect whites from the zombies.
As I said, a fun read but man, I wished more contemporary expressions had been fixed at editing. It's a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to write about a given historical period, clean up the language. ( )
  SocProf9740 | Jul 11, 2021 |
I love historical fiction, adventure sagas and zombie stories so Dread Nation by Justina Ireland was a good fit for me. Jane McKeene, born just a few days after the dead first got up and walked during the Battle of Gettysburg, is of mixed racial heritage but like all Negros, she is required by law to attend a combat school in Baltimore and learn how to put down the dead. Unfortunately that is the role of blacks in America, they are required to guard the whites against the walking dead, called shamblers.

Jane is nearing the end of her training and her thoughts are on returning to her home in Kentucky, but when people in the Baltimore area start to go missing, Jane and a fellow student, Katherine, get caught up in the middle of a conspiracy and they are shipped to Kansas and find themselves in a terrifying position. Not ones to give in easily, Jane and Katherine plot to find themselves a way out of this death-trap where shamblers are not the only danger that they face.

Dread Nation is a fun blend of period drama, alternative history, and zombie fantasy. It also takes a hard look at the socio-cultural elements that required having such a tight control over the black population. It is hard not to question the ‘freedom” that was granted to the black people at the conclusion of the Civil War. If people are not seen as fully equal with other humans, and don’t have the same rights as others – are they truly free? Even more importantly, does this idea not carry beyond this book to today’s society. This is definitely a YA series that I will be continuing on with. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 6, 2021 |
teen fiction (alternate history-post civil war with zombies; action/adventure with race issues and potential romance)

I love the diversity (POC on the cover!)--Jane's friend Katherine may be asexual (making her role as man-bait even more interesting and probably extra odious for her); several characters "pass" for white and frequently deal with complications thereof; a potential love interest/backstabber/friend character is of Native heritage (forced into an American re-education camp as a child which the author includes a brief note about at the end). The world-building (technology/lack of technology; factions of thought amongst the whites; strange evolution of zombie behavior, etc.) is also pretty top-notch.

Can't wait for the next one. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I've seen this book in Barnes and Noble, TikTok, and the library, numerous times over the last couple years. I've been meaning to read it, but never get around to it. PLEASE MAKE TIME TO READ THIS YA NOVEL. It was such a fun read because I am a huge Civil War history buff. Jane was such an iconic, strong female protag and I love how she kicks shambler (zombie) butt and saves the day multiple times. Jane is bi-sexual, and her friend Katherine is likely asexual, as they have a conversation about it in the novel, just without the use of those specific terms. I really liked this inclusion because it was so different than any novel I've ever read. It spanned genres like horror, historical fiction, fantasy, and post-apocalyptic fiction/sci-fi. Reading about this alternate history was such a fun experience. I look forward to reading the sequel when I get a chance. I also really liked how the author takes the time to talk about the boarding schools in her book, and how they were based on Native American boarding schools who solely focused on killing the Indian to save the man. These schools stripped Native Americans of their identity and treated them like slaves. Jane and her fellow black friends are all still treated as slaves, even though slavery was supposedly over. She is whipped until she was close to death, and both she and her comrades lived in horrible conditions with little food or water. They were disposable to the white people they encountered throughout this story. I think that this book deserves its nomination for. Nutmeg. It was fantastic and deserves every bit of praise it gets. I will say sometimes it read too YA for me, but those moments were fleeting and few. I really did love this book and hope everyone contemplating reading it does read it. You will not be let down.

Genre: Historical Fiction
Sub-Genres: Fantasy/Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, Science-Fiction ( )
  briana_gagnon | Jun 17, 2021 |

Justina Irelandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curtis, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marx, GustavoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For all the colored girls. I see you.
The day I came squealing and squalling into the world was the first time someone tried to kill me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,247,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible