Pulse by Felix Francis
"A smartly dressed man has been found unconscious at the local racecourse and is rushed to the hospital, where he subsequently dies. But who is he? Where does he come from? He had no form of identification on him, and no one claims the body. Doctor Chris Rankin, a specialist who treated the deceased--and who struggles with mental health issues--is intrigued by the nameless dead man, obsessed even, and starts asking questions. However, someone doesn't want the questions answered and will go to any lengths to prevent it, including an attempted murder. But when no one will believe that someone tried to kill Chris, the doctor is left with no option but to discover who the nameless man was and why he died. preferably before following him into an early grave"--… (more)

First ever Francis book with a female protaganist. A decent enough thriller and readable as they always are. Kudos for trying a female lead and one with mental illness even if the (supposed) reason for the mental illness made me roll my eyes. ( )
  infjsarah | Oct 21, 2018 |
Felix Francis is carrying on in his father’s footsteps. A good read, set in the racing world. In this case, the protagonist’s connection to that world is distant and only becomes apparent as time goes on ( )
  jbennett | Apr 18, 2018 |
Points to Mr. Francis for daring to step outside the proven successful formula and write a female protagonist. Unfortunately, this effort didn't ring true. I appreciated the frustration Chris faced in being taken seriously when she has been treated for depression and suicidal thoughts - but that is also a stereotype for female characters in general. The story had all the hallmarks of a typical Francis novel - a hero who can't let things go, bad guys that are pretty brutal and bad, and a clever twist in the murder. If only Chris' voice felt more true. Still, I hope Mr. Francis makes the attempt again. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 8, 2018 |
Pulse is a different Francis Book, quite removed from those written by Dick and going farther into another subject than the previous Felix Francis titles. Both authors did plot their horse related mysteries around other occupations, bankers, pilots, and toy designers are some examples.

First I will outline the plot. Dr. Chris Rankin is a doctor in the emergency department of the Cheltenham Hospital. An unconscious man arrives from the racetrack without identification and he dies. She decides it is her fault and sets out to find out who he was and what happened to him. In the process she uncovers a racing/betting fix andshe endangers herself and her family. Typical Francis.

Dr. Rankin is suffering from depression and an eating disorder to the point she is suspended from her hospital duties and placed in a mental institution. She does return to work but recovery is a slow personal battle.

What makes this, in my mind, different from other Francis books is the detailed scientific and medical information provided, the details of the man’s symptoms, heart rate and blood pressure, the impact of orally ingested cocaine. In addition there is in-depth information on depression and anoxia and the mental and physical impact on the person. This is not in-passing information but as I said detailed information throughout the book that is presented in both a scientific and layman’s language. I found it repetitious.

When I don’t know what to read I look to Dick/Felix Francis as comfort books. This won’t be on my comfort list, but I will probably reread it because some of the plot details are hidden by the medical info. If you read Francis don’t skip Pulse.
Reviewed 2018/1/1
⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2 ( )
  pmarshall | Jan 1, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,833,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible