Phoebe's Light (Nantucket Legacy) by…

Phoebe's Light (Nantucket Legacy)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Phoebe Starbuck has always adjusted her sails and rudder to the whims of her father. Now, for the first time, she's doing what she wants to do: marrying Captain Phineas Foulger and sailing far away from Nantucket. As she leaves on her grand adventure, her father gives her two gifts, both of which Phoebe sees little need for. The first is an old sheepskin journal from Great Mary, her highly revered great-grandmother. The other is a "minder" on the whaling ship in the form of cooper Matthew Mitchell, a man whom she loathes. Soon Phoebe discovers that life at sea is no easier than life on land. Lonely, seasick, and disillusioned, she turns the pages of Great Mary's journal and finds herself drawn into the life of this noble woman. To Phoebe's shock, her great-grandmother has left a secret behind that carries repercussions for everyone aboard the ship, especially her husband the captain and her shadow the cooper. This story within a story catapults Phoebe into seeing her life in an entirely new way--just in time.--Amazon.com.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this part of the Nantucket Legacy. I received this for free and I voluntarily chose to review it. I've given it a 4.5* rating. As long as you can keep the journal part straight from the story, it goes pretty fast. There is some adventure and not some nice parts to whaling. There is also a little bit of mystery in this. What a lonely life for some of these families. ( )
  NancyLuebke | May 20, 2019 |
Phoebe's Light is the first book in suzanne Fisher's Nantucket Legacy. In this first book, we find our main character Phoebe Starbuck a Quaker on her 18th birthday; September 8th, 1767. Her father Barnabas decides it is time to pass along Great Mary's journal. Great Mary was Pheobe's great-grandmother and was well known for her wisdom.

Not only excited for her birthday, but the ship Fortuna has arrived in port. Phoebe has always imagined that she loved older widowed captain and she hopes to finally capture his attention. When Phoebe runs into the captain he is very interested in Phoebe's birthday gift and wants to read this journal for himself.
Soon Phoebe finds herself married to the captain Phineas Foulger and on a voyage with two things, her great grandmother's journal and a man sent by her father to mind her; Matthew Macy a cooper whom she once loved until he turned away from God.
Pheobe soon finds that life at sea is not the trip she envisioned. Seasick and disillusioned, she turns to the pages of great-grandmother Mary's journal and she finds a secret that has consequences for everyone on the ship.
This is a book that the reader will find hard to put down. Full of history and mystery; the plot takes the readers on many twists and turns and keeps your interest going.
I truly enjoyed this book and found it difficult to put down. Anyone who loves historical fiction will love this book. The author has done her research well and brought this research to life in her novels. I look forward to the next book in the series "Minding the Light".
I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction.

I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

MaryAnnB1964 | Mar 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the first book in the Nantucket Legacy series. The Quaker setting and whaling profession are different than most historical Christian fiction. That being said, I found it difficult to connect to the characters and story. I will probably not continue with the series, but I will recommend this book to others who I know will appreciate it. ( )
  sdbookhound | Dec 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I knew where Nantucket was and of course I had a general idea about the whaling industry in the past, but I knew NOTHING about the actual life and facts this vocation entailed!
Ms. Fisher’s talented writing made me feel as if I was on Nantucket Island watching the people and on the ship experiencing the work of the crew and captain. Amazing! Phoebe Starbuck was an 18 year old teenager in the 1760’s. Upon her birthday she was given a much coveted diary of her great-grandmother, Mary Coffin Starbucks who wrote it 100 years earlier. The wisdom of “Great Mary” as she was called was legendary. Throughout the story pages of the diary are shared, giving the reader glimpses into the founding of Nantucket Island. Most of all Phoebe’s great-grandmother’s experience and faith helped her face insurmountable odds. I loved great Mary’s wise writings. Some of them I wanted to write down and keep!
Her childhood sweetheart, Matthew Macy had turned away from God and Quaker church so she ended relationship with him that was to end in marriage. She shows that young teens 350 years ago in many ways are not different than they are today. She had a crush on the dashing and wealthy Captain Phineas Foulger and just KNEW he was the one for her to marry, not even bringing God into the equation! Suddenly he asks for her hand and after a hurried she on cloud 9. She convinces him to let her sail with him on his next whaling expedition, something totally unheard of. Surprisingly he agrees!
This is where the adventure and suspense begins. The descriptiveness of the living and working on a whaling ship were incredible! I was riveted to the book! Poor Phoebe’s dreams and life were overturned, especially her stomach. Her suffering with sea sickness and the harsh environment made me think I was going to have to go take some Pepto-Bismol at some points!
She learned that seeking your own way instead of God’s will not work out like you think. But her story also shows that He will take care of us even in our foolish choices. Another incredible read from Suzanne Woods Fisher. I can’t wait for the rest of the books in this series! ( )
  Mizroady | Jul 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very interesting work that takes place during the heyday of Nantucket's Whaling industry in the early years of America's birth. A young woman named Phoebe is struggling to find herself and her place in this community. Phoebe struggles with helping her father and herself survive ends meet, struggles with her feelings for 2 men in her community, and also struggles to survive. A very good book, though it did take awhile to sort out the early American language and the characters. ( )
  chrirob | May 18, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book Phoebe's Light was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,650,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible