The Fates Divide

by Veronica Roth

Series: Carve the Mark (2)

In the second book of the Carve the Mark duology, globally bestselling Divergent author Veronica Roth reveals how Cyra and Akos fulfill their fates. The Fates Divide is a richly imagined tale of hope and resilience told in four stunning perspectives. The lives of Cyra Noavek and Akos Kereseth are ruled by their fates, spoken by the oracles at their births. The fates, once determined, are inescapable. Akos is in love with Cyra, in spite of his fate: he will die in service to Cyra's family. And when Cyra's father, Lazmet Noavek - a soulless tyrant, thought to be dead - reclaims the Shotet throne, Akos believes his end is closer than ever. As Lazmet ignites a barbaric war, Cyra and Akos are desperate to stop him at any cost. For Cyra, that could mean taking the life of the man who may - or may not - be her father. For Akos, it could mean giving his own. In a stunning twist, the two will discover how fate defines their lives in ways most unexpected… (more)

The first book in this series, Carve the Mark, was really good. Reading this sequel, it almost seemed to be a different story, but not in a bad way. It was definitely a continuation and there was more development. A lot of sequels will simply be the same thing with just a little bit of difference. This one was more of an adventure and further understanding of the characters in the book.

It did bother me that, while I don't remember them being in the first book, there were quite a few cuss words. I always considered Veronica Roth's books safe from those kinds of things. (I personally don't like cussing. I feel like there are more intelligent ways to express displeasure or despair).

In saying that, I definitely recommend this book to any sci-fi lovers. Even if you're just getting into it, this is a pretty good read. ( )
  Yodareads12 | Nov 30, 2020 |
his is the second book in the series carve the mark by veronica roth, who wrote divergent. personally, i liked this book much better than the first one, and it is much more interesting. ( )
  kritikags | Aug 19, 2020 |
WTF is going on in this book, between the similar names or characters that have almost identical current gifts. Can I just say that I thought the term "current gifts" meant current as time. Like they would get new one at some other age. No, it wasn't until the end of this book "current" is as in electricity. That I'd jus far behind I am in this story. ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
Space was not a finite container, but that didn't mean it was empty. Asteroids, stars, planets, the current stream; space debris, ships, fragmented moons, undiscovered worlds; this was a place of endless possibility and unfathomable freedom. It was not nothing, it was everything.
I had some mixed feelings about the first book, but I entirely loved this one! It was so good!

The inclusion of Eijeh and Cisi's perspectives really added a lot to the story and the world. We got to see so much more through them than just through Akos and Cyra, and it was greatly appreciated. I got my more planets wish and got some awesome visuals along the way (Ogra is my dream aesthetic)

The themes were great in this, and the pacing was also great. Everything was great.

I was hesitant about the Lazmet death retcon, but it was done really well and added a lot to the story. The plot twists were all super effective and the hard-hitting moments were pretty intense.

Let me just say that I hate Isae Benesit and will never like her. The end.

(note to Veronica Roth: PLEASE do not make this a trilogy! Two is fine! An unresolved political drama is perfectly okay to leave hanging. Don't pull an Allegiant on us again!) ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
A solid continuation of Carve the Mark. Veronica Roth certainly knows how to craft a compelling tale and this story, which picks up where the previous volume left off, has plenty of twists earlier on that keep one engaged. The ending was satisfying (better than the ending of the Divergent series) and I would be happy to visit this world again but hopefully not as a continuation of this story. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 20, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

To my dad, Frank, my brother, Frankie, and my sister, Candice: we may not share blood, but I'm so lucky we're family.
"Why so afraid?" We ask ourself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,513,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible