THE THURBER CARNIVAL by James Thurber

THE THURBER CARNIVAL (original 1945; edition 1945)

by James Thurber, James Thurber (Illustrator)

A collection of essays and illustrations by the American humorist, including The Seal in the Bedroom and My Life and Hard Times.
Member:colodom
Title:THE THURBER CARNIVAL
Authors:James Thurber
Other authors:James Thurber (Illustrator)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1945), Hardcover, 369 pages

The Thurber Carnival by James Thurber (1945)

Light prose, merely anecdotical or sketchy at points. The best are not the memories but the stories and among these the two about the husband who has left his wife and is living in a hotel. In these stories the light tone clashes with the depressing content, creating a strong impression, real literature. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
A collection of some of his best stories and cartoons, the best of which are superb. It's another book I thought was only available in paperback, until I found there was this gorgeous leather-bound edition from Franklin Library, which I got for less than you'd expect to pay for a standard hardcover. ( )
1 vote unclebob53703 | Dec 13, 2016 |
I find it difficult to categorize the genre which will fully describe The Thurber Carnival. It is humor with a generous helping of autobiography sprinkled with cartoons. There's short stories such as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty which I mentioned previously. There are also twists on fairytales (of which you know I'm overly fond). It was obvious from the preface that this was going to be an interesting read because Thurber wrote the preface himself in the third person. O_O A contemporary of E.B. White (remember Charlotte's Web), Thurber was a well-known essayist, humorist, and cartoonist of his time (early to mid 20th century) and was one of the leading voices of The New Yorker. He's considered the Mark Twain of the 20th century in fact and I'm sad to say I had never heard his name before I had watched the Ben Stiller film (thanks, Hollywood!). I found the anthology to be quite good but I do caution you all to remember the time it was written in as it's definitely not politically correct (sexism, racism, etc). If you're looking for a quick, fun read that features some rather interesting cartoons this is probably the book for you. ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 16, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
Plucked a 1949 edition from my public library shelves. Plain-spoken humor, and pleasantly endearing these many years later. Most of the pieces are what I'd call vignettes, many are fiction but several appear to be true stories of his life. Reminds me somewhat of E.B. White, which is not surprising as they were contemporaries. Thurber grew up in small- town Ohio (Columbus wasn't so big in the early 1900s), is a keen observer and natural storyteller. Of course, his drawings are included in this eponymous sort-of collection. ( )
1 vote ThoughtPolice | May 9, 2015 |

Thurber, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruning, FransTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosen, Michael J.Commentariessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
HAROLD ROSS
with increasing admiration,
wonder, and affection
I have not actually known Thurber for fifty years, since he was only forty-nine on his last birthday, but the publishers of this volume felt "fifty" would sound more effective than "forty-nine" in the title of an introduction to so large a book, a point which I was too tired to argue about.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,363,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible