What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

What Happened (edition 2017)

by Hillary Rodham Clinton (Author)

Hillary Rodham Clinton reveals what she was thinking and feeling during one of the most controversial and unpredictable presidential elections in history. Free from the constraints of running, Hillary takes you inside the intense personal experience of becoming the first woman nominated for president by a major party in an election marked by rage, sexism, exhilarating highs and infuriating lows, stranger-than-fiction twists, Russian interference, and an opponent who broke all the rules. She describes what it was like to run against Donald Trump, the mistakes she made, how she has coped with a shocking and devastating loss, and how she found the strength to pick herself back up afterward. With humor and candor, she tells readers what it took to get back on her feet -- the rituals, relationships, and reading that got her through, and what the experience has taught her about life. She speaks about the challenges of being a strong woman in the public eye, the criticism over her voice, age, and appearance, and the double standard confronting women in politics. She lays out how the 2016 election was marked by an unprecedented assault on our democracy by a foreign adversary. By analyzing the evidence and connecting the dots, Hillary shows just how dangerous the forces are that shaped the outcome, and why Americans need to understand them to protect our values and our democracy in the future. The election of 2016 was unprecedented and historic. What Happened is the story of that campaign and its aftermath -- both a deeply intimate account and a cautionary tale for the nation.… (more)
Member:claudecat
Title:What Happened
Authors:Hillary Rodham Clinton (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2017), Edition: First Edition, 512 pages

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

(6)

Now I get to be sad all over again over this massively missed opportunity. ( )
1 vote SocProf9740 | Jul 11, 2021 |
This was in some ways very hard book to read. Not because it was badly written or anything, but because of the subject matter. And although I have no experience about running for president, a lot of the things described in this book are so familiar. If you're a woman who has ever tried to do anything slightly ambitious, you are sure to recognize some of the sentiments in this book.

On a personal level this book also really helped me. I've been dealing with some stuff and I've been having similar feelings about my stuff that Hillary does about the election result. The quotes before the chapters were something that hit home. My favorite being (and that became a daily mantra for me) was Rainer Maria Rilke's "Just keep going. No feeling is final." Especially the latter phrase is what I keep repeating in my head.

An inspirational book from an inspirational woman. She is one of my heroes. ( )
1 vote RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this. It helped to soothe me. I was not happy how everything went down. She gives her side of everything, but it isn't a crying story. It tells what she did wrong and what other circumstances went wrong. It tells how she got over it, things she turned to in order to feel better. I enjoyed seeing more of her without a guard up. I understand why she has always had to shield herself, but it's nice seeing more of her. She encouraged everyone to follow their dreams and not give up on the government but to get involved. Even though it covers a time that left me depressed, it's an uplifting story. Seeing how smart she is and knowledgeable on issues does make it feel even more insane that she didn't win. ( )
1 vote ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
It's hard to rate a book by a politician -- if this were about "Do you like Hillary Clinton?", I'd vote 1 star, but I'm rating the book itself.

Overall, she does a competent job of presenting her opinions on the 2016 election and her political career. There's clearly a lot of spin and positioning here, as you'd expect from a politician, but at least it's generally a clear presentation of what she wants you to believe her views were/are. I completely disagree with her on 2A, but at least she's vaguely honest (for a politician) in consistently saying she "wants common-sense gun regulations" and liability for manufacturers; i.e. backdoor banning guns.

The main thought I had while reading this is "Thank God for James Comey", of course. I agree with her that Comey's interventions likely decided the election.

There's a lot of general fluff about her feelings about children/religion/whatever -- largely the kind of things you'd expect a politician to say, and not very unique -- and fairly limited information about the campaign itself ("Shattered" does a better job of that).

As an audiobook, this worked really well (read by the author); in general I think any politician's audiobook should be read by the author (and it works better for anyone presenting an argument, generally, especially if the author generally does lectures too; fiction, third-party biography, or dry nonfiction would not benefit as much). ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
No responsibility was taken for her part of why this failed. No personal responsibility at all. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
This was a brutal cocktail of sensationalized victimhood and mind numbing anecdotes. There were some slightly more wild sucker punches in the later chapters but I couldn’t appreciate many of them. As bad as Hillary is at being a politician, she is much worse at being a human being.

Choice quotes have been seeping out for weeks, and I’ll admit that I reacted to one of them — “Now I’m letting down my guard” — as if the smoke alarm had started shrieking in my living room. Why believe her? In her previous books, she measured her words with teaspoons and then sprayed them with disinfectant.

Then again, we’ve been told over and over that Clinton is very different in private. And she is now a private citizen.

This distinction seems to have made all the difference.

“What Happened” is not one book, but many. It is a candid and blackly funny account of her mood in the direct aftermath of losing to Donald J. Trump. It is a post-mortem, in which she is both coroner and corpse. It is a feminist manifesto. It is a score-settling jubilee. It is a rant against James B. Comey, Bernie Sanders, the media, James B. Comey, Vladimir Putin and James B. Comey. It is a primer on Russian spying. It is a thumping of Trump. (“I sometimes wonder: If you add together his time spent on golf, Twitter and cable news,” she writes, “what’s left?”)

Clinton, Hillary Rodhamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Louvenberg, Marie-AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peters-Collaer, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schulz, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shipkin, StuartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are tired, keep going.
If you are scared, keep going.
If you are hungry, keep going.
If you want to taste freedom, keep going.
—Harriet Tubman
For the team who stood with me in 2016 and worked their hearts out for a better, stronger, fairer America.  Being your candidate was one of the greatest honors of my life.
Deep breath.
I ran into Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, walking slowly but with steely determination. If I had won, she might have enjoyed a nice retirement. Now I hoped she’d stay on the bench as long as humanly possible.
There was no such thing as a “normal day”, and the press didn’t cover “normal” campaign speeches. What they were interested in was a steady diet of. Inflict and scandal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,630,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible