Knife's Edge: A Graphic Novel (Four…

Knife's Edge: A Graphic Novel (Four Points, Book 2)

by Hope Larson

A fun pirate adventure. Leans a little much of gender roles, while also trying to defy them, but not showing the distinction clearly enough. Good art, great colors. I liked it. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
The second volume of the series is as fun and adventure-filled as the first. I'd like to see another volume in the future, but this one ties up a lot of the loose ends in a satisfying manner. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I enjoyed this second book in the Four Points graphic novel series. It's full of pirates, adventure, and treasure.

The illustration continues to be well done and easy to follow. I loved the adventure and the treasure hunting.

This book pretty much wrapped up the story and I am curious to find out if there will be any additional book in this series.

Overall this was a great continuation and/or conclusion to this series. I would love to see more adventures with Cleo and Alex and the future. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 21, 2018 |
Literary Merit: Good
Characterization: Satisfactory
Recommended: For larger graphic collections containing the first book; for those who enjoy historical and adventure fiction with male and female perspectives
Reading Level: Middle Grade

Not having read the first book did not hold me back in enjoying the events of this sequel, but kept me from connecting with the characters. The dialogue was quick witted and well paced to support the twist of events. However, the characters never lifted off the page to me and remained flat and often times indistinguishable. The brother and sister felt too much like stock characters - a girl trying to live in a boy's world and a boy trying to prove himself to adults, both working through parent abandonment issues. The adventure at sea adds a fresh touch of adventure and the villain twists keep the action engaging. Adding realistic historical touches to a pirate story make it more unique and elevate it for older middle grade readers. Maybe I would have connected more if I had read the previous book, but while I enjoyed the events, I will probably forget the characters who experienced them. ( )
  SWONroyal | Oct 9, 2017 |
After reading Compass South, I couldn’t wait to continue on the journey with Alex and Cleo in Knife’s Edge. I would recommend reading Compass South before diving into Knife’s Edge, only because it will give you a fuller reading experience to know the background story. Between Hope Larson’s engaging narrative/dialogue and Rebecca Mock’s beautiful and detailed illustrations the story truly came to life.

In Knife’s Edge, twelve-year-old twins, Alex and Cleo, along with the help of family heirlooms and the crew of the Almira set sail on another thrilling adventure in search of lost treasure. Upon setting sail with Captain Tarboro, they know they are heading to danger, as their nemesis pirate Felix Worley is also on the hunt for the same treasure.

You can’t help but cheer on for our two heroes, Alex and Cleo, as they use their wits, cleverness and family heirlooms to solve the riddles and puzzles throughout their journey.

If danger and peril weren’t enough to worry about, the twins must also overcome their “growing pains”, as for the first time in their lives, it becomes clear to them that they’re different genders will cause them to be at odds with one another.

Alex is ready to take up the life of a sailor, but Cleo struggles to find a place for herself in a mainly male dominated world. I am glad the author did not shy away from putting some sibling tension in her story, as it made the characters seem more realistic.

The underlying theme of “finding oneself” and “identity” is subtle but comes off loud and clear. I enjoyed the parallel between the twins seeking treasure while at the same time “seeking” themselves and their own way in the world.

Reading graphic novels is a relatively new to me. I am so very glad I decided to start reading them on a more regular basis. Knife’s Edge had a little bit of everything, from pirates, to family drama, adventure, danger, and even a little bit of (innocent) romance too.

Readers of all ages should enjoy this quick, fun read. Everyone should be able to relate to the theme of “finding yourself and your place in the world”. I highly recommend both Compass South and Knife’s Edge for middle grade readers and anyone who loves pirates and adventure books. ( )
  Moirai | Aug 23, 2017 |

"Twelve-year-old twin adventurers Cleopatra and Alexandra Dodge are reunited with their father and realize that two family heirlooms reveal the location of a treasure that is their birthright. When they set sail with Captain Tarboro on the Almira, they know they're heading into danger --the ocean is filled with new and old enemies, including their nemesis, the infamous pirate Felix Worley."--from publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible