To Die but Once: A Maisie Dobbs Novel by…

To Die but Once: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (edition 2018)

by Jacqueline Winspear (Author)

Member:SymphonySil
Title:To Die but Once: A Maisie Dobbs Novel
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear (Author)
Info:Harper (2018), 336 pages
Collections:Books read in 2018
Rating:*****

To Die But Once by Jacqueline Winspear

This is one of my favorite Maisie Dobbs. I like the books that take place in England and we have all of the people from the past. I find the audio outstanding. ( )
  acargile | Oct 8, 2018 |
Another wonderful installment in the Maisie Dobbs series. In this one, Maisie is tasked in finding a young man who is working in the war effort as a painting apprentice. But he complains about horrible headaches from the fire retardant paint used in painting air field buildings. When he can't be found, Maisie fears the worst. Many twists and turns in this story, and some foreshadowing for the next installment. ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
I truly love this series! I wish I did not have to wait for the next book to be released. Maisie Dobbs and the other characters in this series feel like old friends. I am always intrigued by these stories. Highly recommend. ( )
  Thelmajean | Sep 5, 2018 |
Another fine book in this excellent series. Mysteries, greed and the occasional spy sustain the storyline quite well. The use of small skeins of history create an authentic picture of the life and times as England prepares for the Battle of Britain. ( )
  jamespurcell | Aug 22, 2018 |
I really enjoy this series by Jacqueline Winspear. Maisie and her helper Billy are engaging main characters, and the setting and plotting interesting. Spring 1940 they are investigating the disappearance of a young painting apprentice working on a secret government contract in a case that “is a reminder of the inextricable link between money and war.” Highly recommended. ( )
  pennykaplan | Aug 21, 2018 |

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Again, for my dad
Albert Winspear
1926-2012
A city boy who loved the land.
His story inspired this novel.
The boy had not had a day without a headache in weeks.

amazon ca :Maisie Dobbs—one of the most complex and admirable characters in contemporary fiction (Richmond Times Dispatch)—faces danger and intrigue on the home front during World War II.

During the months following Britain’s declaration of war on Germany, Maisie Dobbs investigates the disappearance of a young apprentice working on a hush-hush government contract. As news of the plight of thousands of soldiers stranded on the beaches of France is gradually revealed to the general public, and the threat of invasion rises, another young man beloved by Maisie makes a terrible decision that will change his life forever.

Maisie’s investigation leads her from the countryside of rural Hampshire to the web of wartime

While investigating the disappearance of an apprentice craftsman who had been working on a secret government contract, Maisie discovers links to the London underworld.Spring, 1940. Following Britain's declaration of war on Germany, Maisie Dobbs has been investigating the disappearance of a young apprentice working on a hush-hush government contract. Her investigation leads from the countryside of rural Hampshire to the web of wartime opportunism exploited by one of the London underworld's most powerful men. When a final confrontation approaches, she must acknowledge the potential cost to her future-- and the risk of destroying a dream she wants very much to become reality. Meanwhile, the plight of thousands of soldiers stranded on the beaches of France causes one of Maisie's friends to make a decision that will change his life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,721,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible