The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics) by…

The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics) (edition 2004)

by Anthony Trollope

1,846373,758 (4.21)4 / 197
Member:bslavin
Title:The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Anthony Trollope
Info:Wordsworth Editions (2004), Paperback, 800 pages
Rating:*****

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

Money by Émile Zola (littlegreycloud)
    littlegreycloud: Augustus Melmotte, Aristide Saccard, Bernie Madoff: plus ça change...

English (36)  French (1)  All languages (37)
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope
???

Most of the characters here embody vices of the era, embroiled in dishonesty and immorality. If they bribe, lie, steal, gamble, swindle and sell their daughters off to the best bidder. If they are women, they have less power over money and land, but have their own set of rules to break. In the midst of this satire there are several virtuous individuals who live with honesty and integrity despite the egregious behavior of most of the other characters. There is no way to like people such as Melmotte, a coarse, apparently extremely wealthy man of uncertain origins (rumours abound) with a daughter of marriageable age who seems to have a mind of her own despite her father’s browbeating and physical beating.
Three stars means I liked this but didn’t love it or really like it. It’s hard to say how much of this is because I read it as a seasonal read, and so usually read five chapters per week unless I got behind a week and had to catch up, and how much of this is because it is difficult for me to truly love a novel so beset by such nefarious sorts. It wasn’t always easy to love even the most pristine, honest characters, but I do have to say that I quite enjoyed, well I don’t want to say who these are, but suffice to say that I did like at least one and grew to like a few others. Trollope certainly didn’t have a good opinion of Americans, and that colours some of this tale, which is set primarily in London, England (not to be confused with, for example, London, Ontario or New London, Ct, neither of which is in this satire.)

If satires are your thing, particularly Victorian ones, this may well be right up your alley. It’s long. In the Oxford University press paperback edition I borrowed from the library (Of course, after all this time, I had to borrow a second copy just like it on my daughter’s card as we can only renew once, so 8 weeks is the limit) each of the two volumes is paginated beginning with page 1, and they were each close to 500 pages.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
A great book for our times. The nineteenth century did a great job with novels about scoundrels and money schemes. For some reason, I wasn't familiar with this Trollope book. I love Trollope, but he wrote so many novels, it's difficult to know where to land. This book was recommended in the top 40 by Susan Hill in another book I'm currently reading (listened on audiobook over a long, lazy weekend with lots of driving thrown in). One interesting story line in this sprawling novel is its American characters. Basically begins and ends with characters from America. I suppose there is something buried there about scoundrels. But basically the Americans aren't totally dished. And they end up surviving. And one of the emerging female characters ends up going to America in company with the strong and interesting American woman (and the American partner in the great raileway scheme in the story). I have to love the railway scheme--a railway from Salt Lake City to Vera Cruz in Mexico. The American woman killed a man and fought a duel in San Francisco. But is a sweetheart in England. But she's on her way back at the end. Definitely recommend. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
This was my first Trollope, but it won't be my last. This novel, which is not part of either of Trollope's series, is wonderfully complex but intensely readable. It tells the interlocking tales of several individuals and families, all of whom find themselves connected in some way to the rich financier of the moment, Augustus Melmotte, who mysteriously appeared in London a year or two earlier, and whose wealth, while readily apparent, is equally mysterious in origin. Trollope's strength is in his characterizations of a dozen or more people, and in his ability to interweave the different threads of the plot. He also has a delightful talent for putting a character down in just a simple sentence.

The story starts out with Lady Carbury, a widow reduced in finances, who has just written a book entitled Criminal Queens and is writing to editors of London papers in the hopes they will review it favorably, leading to big sales and thus money for her. She needs money because her son, Sir Felix, is a hopeless wastrel, always getting drunk, gambling, and being irresponsible in every way possible -- but she loves him. She dreams of marrying him off to Marie Melmotte, the daughter of the financier, for her money. (However, Marie's father wants her to marry a lord, in particular Lord Nidderdale.) She also has a daughter, Hetta, who she has no interest in other than wanting her to marry her cousin, Roger Carbury, who lives in the country off the land that others farm for him in the conventional English way; however, Hetta loves another, Paul Montague.

Paul is also in love with Hetta, although they have not told each other of their love. He is in a way a protege and dear friend of Roger's and has been back and forth to the US where he has invested his small inheritance in a firm run by his uncle and a man named Fisker. Early in the novel, Fisker comes to London to enlist Paul in getting Melmotte to invest in, and run the London branch of a new enterprise, a railway to run from California to the eastern coast of Mexico. Paul is dubious both about the new enterprise and about approaching Melmotte, but gives in to Fisker. Under Melmotte's leadership, the railway thrives, although the reader is suspicious that he is just selling shares that have no basis in the actual ownership of the railroad. (In Zola's later Money, railroads and manipulated share prices also were a feature.) Partway through the book, an American, Mrs. Hurtle, who claims to be a widow and who was involved with Paul in the US, arrives in London to stake her claim to Paul, to whom she was engaged.

Another family important in the plot is the Longestaffes, a financially strapped old land-owning family that includes the ne'er-do-well son Dolly (for Adolphus) and the desperate to be married daughter, Georgianna, as well as a blustering father and a cowed mother. They enter into a financial arrangement with Melmotte that does not end well. There is also a strand of the plot involving Ruby Ruggles, the granddaughter of a tenant farmer of Roger's, who catches the eye of Sir Felix; despite being engaged to an extremely reliable (but apparently extremely boring) local man, she ends up running off to London so she can see Sir Felix, staying there with an aunt who is also, in one of the coincidences that seem to crop up in Victorian literature, renting a room to Mrs. Hurtle. There are many other minor characters and plots, but these are the main ones.

All these characters, and the plot, revolve around the remarkable character that is Melmotte: his meteoric rise, which includes hosting a party for the visiting emperor of China and getting elected to Parliament, and of course his inevitable fall. Throughout, Trollope is able to characterize (and satirize) much of English upper class society as it comes in contact with much that it disdains (merchants, bankers, people from other countries, Americans) but nonetheless is attracted to because of the money. The way they lived then is not so different from the way we live, or indeed how people have always lived, although Trollope seems to sense the downfall of the traditional English way of life (or at least the upper class part of it). The people most full of life in this book are the outcasts: Melmotte, Ruby, and Mrs. Hurtle.

In places, the plot seemed almost soap opera-like to me, with a complicated elopement plot, dissolute young men gambling at a club, a fight between Ruby's betrothed and Sir Felix, Mrs. Hurtle's rumored killing of a man who tried to rape her, and more. Despite this, I am very impressed by Trollope's ability to seamlessly weave together a multitude of plots, and to create mostly flawed characters, some of whom I came to appreciate and some of whom I wanted to slap. Unlike more modern novels, Trollope ties up all the loose ends at the conclusion of the book.

One aspect of this novel that I particularly appreciated was that the women are full-fledged human beings, and develop over the course of the book. Marie Melmotte, in particular, starts off seeming wishy-washy but grows into a strong, practical, young woman. Some people have commented on the antisemitism in this book, but it is clearly the antisemitism expressed by the characters, typical of England at the time, and not an expression of Trollope's feelings.

As a side note, the Modern Library edition that I read had notes at the back but they were referenced only by page numbers; this drives me crazy, because I don't know when to look for notes and miss some that are interesting and find there are none for items I wish were annotated.
3 vote rebeccanyc | Jan 21, 2015 |
"The Way We Live Now" is a victorian novel that takes place in the 1870s. Similar to many novels of that era, it is about the changing times… but with an added twist about financial corruption. A victorian “Bernie Madoff" shows up in London flaunting his wealth and creating as much gossip and intrigue as Jay Gatsby did in Fitzgerald’s novel of New York in the 1920s.

In this novel, the villain's name is Augustus Melmotte - a sociopath with a huge ego. His life goals are to be elected to Parliament, have his daughter marry a Lord, and of course, accumulate as much wealth as possible. He is a swindler and total fraud, wooing society with his ostentatious spending, extravagant entertaining, and arrogant demands for respect and acceptance.

Amidst the smoldering financial scandal, Trollope weaves a satirical tale of London’s upper class society. While the snobby landed gentry are breaking with tradition to fuss over the crude foreigner Mr. Melmotte - hoping that will enhance their own financial situation - the young women in London are having romantic trysts and rebelling against the conventional rule of marrying an appointed suitor. As the plot unfolds, each bold move away from tradition is explained away blithely with statements like the old cliche, “Everyone is doing it, so why shouldn’t I?”, and as though their actions could not be helped, “we belong to a newer and worse sort of world.”

After reading Trollope’s "The Eustace Diamonds” several years ago, I commented in my review that I doubted I would read any other Trollope novels. Despite the amusing plot, I was appalled at the blatant anti-semitism. It was difficult to determine if Trollope himself was anti-Semitic or was merely expressing the sentiments of the elite British society. Then I decided to give him another try with what has been referred to as Trollope’s “opus” - The Way We Live Now. Unfortunately, it was more of the same… distasteful descriptions of the Jewish characters who turn out to be the villains of the novel. There were however, equally disparaging remarks about the American characters as well. Perhaps the British elite were narrow-minded, despising anyone who was not from their own ethnic background.

Trollope did excel in character development and provides the reader with an assortment of richly drawn characters. They range from traditional conservative, stoic Roger Carbury… to his spoiled, rude, over-indulged nephew Felix Carbury who spent most of his time drinking, gambling, and chasing women. There is Ruby Ruggles - the vivacious working class orphan who wants adventure. And Paul Montague who gets entangled with an unscrupulous American widow “those crazy Americans” who is rumored to have killed a man.

Perhaps if I had read "The Way We Live Now" at an earlier time in life, I would have given it the highest rating, but after a while, many of the British period novels seem redundant, and my tolerance for the excessively wordy 800 page literary composition about stuffy Brits, untrustworthy greedy Jews, and suppressed women has pretty much waned for now. ( )
  LadyLo | Sep 13, 2014 |
Read during Summer 2004

I'm not sure I would have made it through the maze of characters unless I had seen the recent miniseries. A sprawling Victorian soap opera and social commentary, heavy handed at times and it was a bit depressing to have the only morally upright character be the priggish Roger Carbury, obessed with his cousin Hetta and intensely petty about his ward's love for her. I was intrigued to see that Paul Montague, Hetta's love was made much more 'good' in the miniseries, except for one glaring change in his trip to Lowestofe with Mrs. Hurtle. The miniseries pulled out the salient points but the depth in the novel made it a good read that might have been deadly on TV. I'm still not sure I'll dig into Barchester Towers in the near future, though.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |

Anthony Trollopeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brooks, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Case, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Osborne, HughNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let the reader be introduced to Lady Carbury, upon whose character and doings much will depend of whatever interest these pages may have, as she sits at her writing-table in her own room in her own house in Welbeck Street.
In the City Mr. Melmotte's name was worth any money,-though his character was perhaps worth but little.
As for Felix,—he had grovelled in the gutters as to be dirt all over. Nothing short of the prolonged sufferings of half a life coild cleanse him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140433929, Paperback)

Trollope's 1875 tale of a great financier's fraudulent machinations in the railway business, and his daughter's ill-use at the hands of a grasping lover (for whom she steals funds in order to elope) is a classic in the literature of money and a ripping good read as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

"Nothing escaped the satirist's whip: politics, finance, the aristocracy, the literary world, gambling, sex, and much else. In this world of bribes and vendettas, swindling and suicide, in which heiresses are won like gambling stakes, Trollope's characters embody all the vices: Lady Carbury, a 43-year-old coquette, 'false from head to foot'; her son Felix, with the 'instincts of a horse, not approaching the higher sympathies of a dog'; and Melmotte, the colossal figure who dominates the book, a 'horrid, big, rich scoundrel ... a bloated swindler ... a vile city ruffian'."--Publisher's website.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,827,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible