The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics) by…

The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1875; edition 2004)

by Anthony Trollope

1,609None4,508 (4.2)3 / 144
Member:bslavin
Title:The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Anthony Trollope
Info:Wordsworth Editions (2004), Paperback, 800 pages
Rating:*****

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope (1875)

L'argent by Émile Zola (littlegreycloud)
    littlegreycloud: Augustus Melmotte, Aristide Saccard, Bernie Madoff: plus ça change...

English (29)  French (1)  All languages (30)
One of the best books I've read this year, see my full review at: http://livritome.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/trollopes-the-way-we-live-now/ ( )
  gooutsideandplay | Oct 12, 2013 |
Classic Trollopian view of greed, envy, and lust in Victorian England. Rather depressing overall, but nevertheless a great novel by one of my favorites. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I loved it. I read Trollope's Barchester Chronicles twenty or so years ago and was greatly entertained by their parody of English country life. This book I picked up because it was #1 (!) on a _Newsweek_ list of "What to read now" that was published last summer. An inspired choice!

The shady financial dealings described herein -- which are a parody of English life ca. 1870 -- make an interesting parallel for the highly-leveraged economic house of cards prevalent in today's "developed" world... ( )
  jpe9 | Aug 7, 2013 |
4½ stars- Wonderful satire of life in 1870s England for impoverished lesser nobility. Trollope does such excellent characterization that even knowing what a scoundrel Melmotte is, you still can admire his pluck in facing the City & members of the House of Commons after it becomes common knowledge that he is in trouble.

I think that Trollope must have himself believed that
"'Taking society as a whole, the big and the little, the rich and the poor, I think that it grows better from year to year, and not worse. I think, too, that they who grumble at the times, as Horace did, and declare that each age is worse than its forerunner, look only at the small things beneath their eyes, and ignore the course of the world at large.'"
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
Although this book includes the required Victorian love story, The Way We Live Now focuses more on the actions of Augustus Melmotte, a foreign financier who is turning heads of London society, with his amazing wealth and ability to make money. But actually, Melmotte is swindling investors by selling shares in a non-existant railroad company. This is such a timeless classic, not only in the large cast of characters with funny and endearing personality quirks, but also in the relevance this story holds, especially with the recent global financial crisis. Definitely a enduring and enjoyable classic. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |

Anthony Trollopeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Case, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let the reader be introduced to Lady Carbury, upon whose character and doings much will depend of whatever interest these pages may have, as she sits at her writing-table in her own room in her own house in Welbeck Street.
In the City Mr. Melmotte's name was worth any money,-though his character was perhaps worth but little.
As for Felix,—he had grovelled in the gutters as to be dirt all over. Nothing short of the prolonged sufferings of half a life coild cleanse him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140433929, Paperback)

Trollope's 1875 tale of a great financier's fraudulent machinations in the railway business, and his daughter's ill-use at the hands of a grasping lover (for whom she steals funds in order to elope) is a classic in the literature of money and a ripping good read as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:13 -0400)

"Nothing escaped the satirist's whip: politics, finance, the aristocracy, the literary world, gambling, sex, and much else. In this world of bribes and vendettas, swindling and suicide, in which heiresses are won like gambling stakes, Trollope's characters embody all the vices: Lady Carbury, a 43-year-old coquette, 'false from head to foot'; her son Felix, with the 'instincts of a horse, not approaching the higher sympathies of a dog'; and Melmotte, the colossal figure who dominates the book, a 'horrid, big, rich scoundrel ... a bloated swindler ... a vile city ruffian'."--Publisher's website.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible