Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl

Neverworld Wake (edition 2020)

by Marisha Pessl (Author)

"A group of teens who all attended the same elite prep school reunite a year after graduation. After a night on the town, the teens are faced with an impossible choice--only one of them can live and the decision must be unanimous"--
Member:Heidis26
Title:Neverworld Wake
Authors:Marisha Pessl (Author)
Info:Ember (2020), 336 pages

Work Information

Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl

[First off, thank you Goodreads/Random House and Marisha Pessl for this arc copy I won in a giveaway.
Wow wow wow, I loved this!

How have I never read a Marisha Pessl book? Don't worry, I'm definitely going to read them all now.

I've recently been having a hard time finding characters I actually like in the books I read. I loved all the main characters in this book, heck, even random secondary/tertiary characters. Marisha definitely made her characters feel like real people. It made the story that much more intense. Because I cared about what would happen next for them.

I usually dislike time-travelly situations in books but I feel like it was done well in this book. It wasn't overly complex and felt just weird enough to suspend disbelief

The book also had great messages about going out of your comfort zone and not being afraid to live your life the way you want to. Which, I'll be honest, is always great to hear.

I think this book is great, and that you should definitely pick it up! ( )
  Zenary | Dec 16, 2021 |
wasn’t until i’d got to the acknowledgments that i learned this was a YA novel. should’ve realized it earlier, what with the lack of sex and cursing.

anyway, this was pretty good, like The Secret History meets Groundhog Day meets The Good Place ( )
  austinburns | Dec 16, 2021 |
Why did Martha keep asking if anyone had committed suicide (or tried to - which, by the way, didn't seem necessary for what they were trying to do? They could've just jumped in front of the car without doing the carpet thing) when she was the one to discover Kip's body in the first few wakes? I was hoping this would turn into some weird mnemonic affect of the wake, but it seems like Pessl just forgot about what had happened earlier.

Mainly about dumb teens being (INCREDIBLY) dumb and hard-headed. HOW did it take so long for these dumb kids to accept that they were in a time loop? It seems like thousands of repetitions before everyone's on board. And The Keeper gives them ONE offer of help and then does nothing the rest of the book. I did like how Bee was a little bit of an unreliable narrator (her imagined motives that she gives to everyone, her desire to isolate herself, the, ugh was it real or wasn't it? ending). Though Pessl really wanted us to believe that she was this saint-like character (with everyone calling her Sister Bea and telling her how good she is), without ever actually giving us reason to believe it. So, even though we all knew why she would survive, we don't actually know why she won the vote, or how (since she didn't even vote for herself). ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
Despite some inconsistencies (which are more likely to happen in a book about time travel), mainly Martha's notebook mystery, I really liked Marisha Pessl's foray on the YA genre.
I enjoyed her previous books and this one did not disappoint.
If The Secret History involved time travel this book would be the result. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
This is the fourth of five highly anticipated books this year, and unfortunately the results just get worse and worse. There was the disappointment with Stephen King's The Outsider due to an ending that fizzled, then Caroline Kepnes' more disappointing Providence that just never delivered on character, story, Lovecraft... Moving to Paul Tremblay's The Cabin At the End of the World, yeah, that one simply cratered it was so terrible. Now, this.

Pessl twists and bends the plot into so many uncomfortable positions just to try and wring a somewhat coherent mystery out of it, that she ends up having her characters make the most ridiculously stupid decisions, that we're supposed to believe were directed by a Machiavellian genius who's a teenager just so the ending would turn out exactly the way we knew it would in the first place.

I have to agree with Edward Lorn here...the fictional book that's referenced occasionally throughout this novel sounds one hell of a lot better than the crap that we instead had foisted upon us.

This book cratered equally as hard as Tremblay's Cabin, just for different reasons.

2018 is going to go down as The Year The Reliable Authors Became Unreliable.

One more release to go. Stephen King, you're my last hope with Elevation. Please don't let me down twice in one year. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,344,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible