dismiss

The Republic by Plato

The Republic

by Plato

Other authors: François de La Pillonnière (Translator)

Essestially an inquiry into morality, the Republic is the central work of the Western world's most famous philosopher. Containing crucial arguments and insights into many other areas of philosophy, it is also a literary masterpiece: the philosophy is presented for the most part for ordinaryreaders, who are carried along by the wit and intensity of the dialogue and by Plato's unforgettable images of the human condition. This new, lucid translation is complemented by full explanatory notes and an up-to-date critical introduction.… (more)
    Politics by Aristotle (Voracious_Reader)
    The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli (caflores)
    Political Writings by John Locke (Voracious_Reader)
    Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (original 1966 edition) by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Tired of Philosopher-Kings? Think individual rights aren't practical? Find insights in Rand's essays, "Man's Rights" and "The Nature of Government" among many others.

English (74)  Spanish (12)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (91)
This is Plato's most well-known work, and rightly so. It's got a bit of everything - ethics, metaphysics, politics, art, epistemology - and is therefore a great introduction to his main doctrines. Desmond Lee's translation is still one of the best, I think - conversational without distorting the meaning. Recommended edition.

Gareth Southwell is a philosopher, writer and illustrator.
  Gareth.Southwell | May 23, 2020 |
184 PLA
  alessandragg | Apr 20, 2020 |
Este libro tiene algunos problemas:
- Algunos de los argumentos son ridiculos.
- Los interlocutores dicen que si a todo aun sin mas pruebas que su propia opinion.
- Las soluciones no son realistas

Pero aun asi, este es un trabajo monumental que trata y desintegra muchos de los temas clave de la humanidad. Escrito hace 2500 años, su influencia llega hasta ser relevante hoy.
Su descripcion de oligarquia, sus ventajas y problemas, no puede mas perfectamente describir las politicas liberales actuales. Su descripcion de democracia el socialismo y su descripcion de tirania las tendencias politicas actuales. Y me da la sensacion en otros 500 años, alguien lo leera y le segugira pareciendo actual.

Es un libro con muchas muchas ideas en un formato relativamente compacto. Terror me da imaginar todo esto en el tipico libro de auto-ayuda actual donde unas pocas ideas se rodean de anectodas personales y demas paja para dar volumen.

En definitiva, recomendado para todos, es mas sencillo de lo que parece. El formato dialogo, donde puedes eliminar todas las respuestas pero que fuerza a dejar muchos espacios y a hablar con frases cortas lo hacen muy asequible. ( )
  trusmis | Jun 28, 2019 |
I just didn't like it. There's nothing wrong with it, I just didn't really understand it, and wasn't really interested in what I did understand. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
This will be an ongoing review I have to read parts of this for my Ethics class, and we were assigned part of it in week two. I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it throughout the semester, but I did like what we read this week. Finished with what we are reading in this book for Ethics class, I enjoyed it and probably wouldn't have read this book if it weren't assigned reading. I may pick it up again at a later date and read the parts that we skipped. I'm glad I was given a reason to read this finally. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Oct 11, 2018 |

Warren, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waterfield, RobinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whewell, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zariņš, VilnisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I went down yesterday to the Piraeus with Glaucon, son of Ariston, that I might offer up my prayers to the goddess, and also because I wanted to see in what manner they would celebrate the festival, which was a new thing. (Benjamin Jowett's translation)
The main question to be answered in the Republic is: What does Justice mean, and how can it be realized in human society? [tr. Cornford]
...justice is keeping what is properly one's own and doing one's own job. (Desmond Lee translation)
...the state whose prospective rulers come to their duties with least enthusiasm is bound to have the best and most tranquil government and the state whose rulers are eager to rule the worst. (Desmond Lee translation)
...no one who had not exceptional gifts could grow into a good man unless he were brought up from childhood in a good environment and trained in good habits. Democracy...sweeps all this away and doesn't mind what the habits and background of its politicians are; provided they profess themselves the people's friends, they are duly honored. (Desmond Lee translation)
...an excessive desire for liberty at the expense of everything else is what undermines democracy and leads to the demand for tyranny. (Desmond Lee translation)
...all the poets from Homer downwards have no grasp of truth but merely produce a superficial likeness of any subject they treat, including human excellence. (Desmond Lee translation)
The original Ancient Greek title was 'Πολιτεία', though most editions in the original Classical Greek have the Latin title, 'Respublica'. Neither should be combined with this translated entry (Modern Greek editions should be here, however).

"Nel mondo antico e poi ancora in quello moderno, "La Repubblica" non ha mai mancato di svolgere il suo compito principale: quello di invitare a pensare sul destino della vita individuale e sociale degli uomini. Un destino, secondo Platone, non prescritto e immutabile, ma da immaginare, argomentare, costruire."
(piopas)

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300114516, 0300136374

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,512,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible