Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Three Men in a Boat Illustrated by Jerome K…

Three Men in a Boat Illustrated (original 1889; edition 2020)

by Jerome K Jerome (Author)

Series: Three Men (1)

"Three Men in a Boat" is one of the best-loved and most enduring comic novels in all of English literature. It tells the tale of a boating expedition on the Thames, undertaken by three friends, to say nothing of the dog, Montmorency. The vibrancy and style of the Jerome's writing magnifies their adventures to epic proportions, and ensures this story remains as fresh as ever.… (more)
Member:mbmackay
Title:Three Men in a Boat Illustrated
Authors:Jerome K Jerome (Author)
Info:Independently published (2020), 232 pages
Rating:***

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome (Author) (1889)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog, or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Footsteps at the Lock by Ronald A. Knox (cf66)
    cf66: It's the same scenary
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Literary Lapses by Stephen Leacock (kmcmahon)
    Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: If you enjoy humorous travel stories, you can't go wrong with either one of these books. Both books include descriptions of visits to the Hampton Court maze.
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    Cordelia Underwood: or The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (220)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Czech (2)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (233)
I had read this back in 2011, and didn't understand why it was considered a comic classic, but one of my reading groups chose it and I thought it might be funnier if I listened to it.

This is a perfect example of arch, late 19th century British silliness. Listening to it was eventually better than reading it. The first third or so was deadly, and I actually fell asleep. But I persevered, and also sped up the audio just a little bit (1.2), and the rest of the book gained in humor. Some of the small, serious interludes are thought-provoking as well.

The three men in question (and the dog) decide to take a boat trip the way young men might decide to take a motorcycle getaway these days. There's a lot about the Thames itself, and if I were familiar with the river that part would have been much more interesting. Some of the small, serious interludes are thought-provoking as well. ( )
  ffortsa | Nov 25, 2020 |
First published in 1889, this book has travelled well - the humour still works.
It paints a picture of a different social era, one of a slower pace than society today, but where the instincts of individuals are not that different from today. But there are also dark spots - the body in the river of the woman who committed suicide after an illegitimate birth provides a jarring note.
The scenic highlights have not changed much - it is easy to follow the course of the trip in Google and Google maps - the landmarks are still there - as are a surprising number of the old inns.
A good read. ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 21, 2020 |
I started to read this for about the 3rd time and I still couldn't get through the book. My English teacher (whom I loved) said it was laugh out loud funny but I quickly got bored of the book. Maybe I will try again another time. ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 11, 2020 |
I have come across a number of praises for this books humor. There is even a more modern title written as a humorous tie-in. ( )
  MarianneAudio | Aug 21, 2020 |
19th century British comedy about the inadequacies of three men who embark on a boating expedition. Covers their inability to pack, lack of boating skills, woeful cooking skills, and the like. I don't believe the novel stands the test of time. You really have to take yourself back in time to appreciate some of the humour. ( )
  jigarpatel | Aug 9, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Trois hommes et un chien. Bienvenue en Absurdie! It is so British.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,521,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible