dismiss

Twenty years after, (The novels of Alexandre…

Twenty years after, (The novels of Alexandre Dumas) (original 1845; edition 1904)

by Alexandre Dumas

Two decades have passed since the famous swordsmen triumphed over Cardinal Richelieu and Milady in The Three Musketeers. Time has weakened their resolve, and dispersed their loyalties. But treasons and strategems still cry out for justice: civil war endangers the throne of France, while in England, Cromwell threatens to send Charles I to the scaffold. Dumas brings his immortal quartet out of retirement to cross swords with time, the malevolence of men, and the forces of history. But their greatest test is the titanic struggle with the son of Milady who wears the face of evil.… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Twenty years after, (The novels of Alexandre Dumas)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Info:Methuen & co (1904), Unknown Binding
Tags:Literary Fiction, Victorian

Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas (1845)

English (29)  French (2)  All languages (31)
Sure, some of the plot happenstances are awfully convenient and the big villain is one-note, but this remains a well-read classic for a reason. Twenty Years After is a highly-enjoyable read that goes along at a fast clip, even with my copy near 700 pages in length. As I am age 40, I appreciated seeing how d'Artagnan had matured to that age (which was also the age at which Dumas wrote the book, soon after doing the first). The action is great and I loved seeing how the musketeers remained true to each other, even as they were snared in some complicated politics. ( )
  ladycato | Jun 20, 2020 |
This is the banally-named sequel to Dumas's much more famous The Three Musketeers, once again bringing together D'Artagnan and his former comrades from the various paths in life that the events of the earlier novel left them in. There are the usual swashbuckling scenes, daring escapes and dramatic confrontations, but the villain here, Mordaunt, the son of the villainess in the earlier novel, is nowhere near as striking and memorable. Part of the novel takes place in England at the time of the trial and execution of King Charles I (and which gives rise to a memorable comment from Aramis showing his contempt for England and the English - "We shall be murdered there....I hate the English - they are coarse, like every nation that swills beer"). The politics of the Fronde are rather confusing (and I remember them as such from my History A level 33 years ago!) and overall this novel is not as strong as its predecessor. ( )
1 vote john257hopper | Aug 10, 2018 |
I just finished 3 musketeers. Should have stopped. Had enough swashbuckling. If that's your thing then this is another dose of the same/
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
No valid German National Library records retrieved.
1 vote | glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
While Twenty Years After is great fun, it seems that the rule of weaker sequels operated even in Dumas's day. First things first: I thought the Oxford Worlds Classics translation worked a lot better than the Penguin Red Classics translation of the Three Musketeers. However, the plot straggles a little. Dumas can't really decide what story he wants to tell - the uprising of the Frondeurs in Paris, or the musketeers' sortie to England to try to save Charles I. (Am I the only one who found that whole section unconvincing, or is it just because I'm English and already know the story of Charles I?) It seemed a little too easy to have as the enemy Milady's son, whom we are meant to believe is as depraved and evil as his mother was. I found it difficult to credit Dumas's initial concept: that these supposedly bosom friends have barely met in twenty years. Nor did I think it likely that if their service to Anne of Austria was as important as the Three Musketeers makes out, she would behave to them as she does here. Nevertheless, there are many, many wonderful passages, and I did enjoy the book as a whole. And the good news is, I've just started The Vicomte de Bragelonne, and Dumas is back on form. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 8, 2017 |
If you only know “The Three Musketeers” you owe yourself the pleasure of spending some happy evenings with “Twenty Years After.” Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D’Artagnan may be older and their hair starting to gray, but they’ve lost none of their romance and grandeur.

Dumas, Alexandreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hartig, K.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauer, Edmund Th.Authorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraaz, GerhartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robson, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a room of the Palais-Cardinal which we already know, near a table with silver gilt corners, loaded with papers and books, a man was sitting, his head resting in his hands.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,763,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible