Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Cowboy Up (The Coming Home Series)

by Harper Sloan

Series: Coming Home (3)

1241,255,403 (3.4)None
New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Harper Sloan returns with a passionate and breathless romance about the sparks that ignite when a cautious cowboy and a once-scorned woman open up to each other in the third installment of the Coming Home series. As the eldest Davis, Clayton has always tried to lead by example. He takes his job as head of the family businesses seriously, making sure the farm and auto shop are running smoothly--along with keeping an eye on his brother and sister. For him, there's a time and place to let go of the control he holds with an iron grip. And with the way he grew up, coupled with disastrous end to his last relationship, he's just fine with his quiet, solitary life. Most of the time. What he hadn't counted on was cute, quirky, shy bookstore owner, Caroline Michaels. She's the proverbial woman next door--well, the next town over, that is. Caroline hasn't lived an easy life, but after escaping an abusive ex, she's finally living it for herself. The last thing she ever expected was a one-night stand with Clay Davis, a night she can't stop thinking about. So when she falls on hard times and Clay comes out of nowhere to her rescue, she realizes just how impossible it'll be to stay away from him. Now all she has to do is convince him to live a little... Will Clay be able to give up the reins and finally settle down? And, more importantly, will Caroline muster enough courage to lasso him up?… (more)

At it's heart of hearts, it's a tale of romance...
...a shy, bookish gal has had enough of the ugly life has been throwing her way and tries to break out of her shell of self-preservation. Where does she head? A local honky-tonk bar...but mind you, it's not the total cliché it sounds. The bar is run by her best guy friend (Luke) who loves her like his own sister (which she is best friends forever with) and would protect her to no end...explaining why he sets her down next to tall, dark, and handsome (that goes by the name of "Davis") without too much fanfare. That's where things start to get, shall we say...interesting.

Let's just say that even good girls sometimes want to be bad...even if only for a little while. The path this little detour leads Caroline on has an ending neither player in the game-that's-not-a-game would ever have anticipated with many ups, downs, and life-or-death situations to overcome (bet YOU didn't see THAT coming!), but you best believe these two are ready to "cowboy up" to claim the beauty that life seems to be bringing their way.

Now, while I liked the story and most of the romantic interludes, I seriously don't remember my last bout with this trilogy (series?) having SO much language. I mean SO MUCH. I get it, Clayton is "bad to the bone" but not all badness (pun intended or otherwise) comes from verbal spars...believe me, his actions speak for themselves...

In the end, I was enjoyed the story, wished for less of a mouth in the language department on our leading man, but thoroughly satisfied.

**copy received for review ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
Clay and Caroline are different in many ways, but they share a bond that is destined to bring them together. Both have been burned by love and scarred by life. Clay is the ever responsible older brother determined to lead by example. His role hasn't been easy and his choices not always wise, but his heart has always been in the right place. When it comes to love of family he's on solid ground, matters of the heart are a personal minefield. Caroline is the first woman who slips under his radar and finds her way into his heart. She has a few suitcases full of her own emotional baggage to carry. Trust issues, painful memories and a fresh start, land her right in the path of the biggest recluse in town. What unfolds is a relationship that is passionate, flawed and will make a heart ache, but it will also inspire. Before reading this series, I had never heard of Harper Sloan and now I can't imagined my bookshelf without her.
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
Sweet story with main characters in their 30's. While they only have eyes for each other, there is OW/OM drama-llama! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
This is a book that has a pretty high rating on Goodreads (4.4 stars), so I know there is a readership for this book and people who will love it. I’m just not part of that group.

I read the first two in the series and I wanted to finish the series out. I was hopeful as the heroine in this one is a bookshop owner. I love reading books where books themselves play a role in them; but this one just missed a lot of the marks for me.

The hero, Clayton, has made it clear in his life that he doesn’t ever want to get married nor have children. This is partly to do with the fact that he did not have a great relationship with either of his parents. I can understand how he is hesitant, even put off by the idea of getting married and having kids since his parents did not represent a good marriage nor were they supportive parents.

What I don’t understand, and what is extremely difficult to believe, is that just one night with the heroine, Caroline, and Clayton is all about having and building a permanent future with her (full of marriage and babies). I don’t think that is realistic - especially for someone who has said all his life he didn’t want that. Romance novels are notorious for being touted as giving women unrealistic expectations, and while I think that is unfair on some accounts, honestly, this book falls into that category. I think it gives women the idea that they can somehow change a man, but I don’t think anyone can change someone else. People can only change themselves, not others.

Caroline was all over the place. She’s described by others as shy and quiet but I didn’t ever really see that side. She had one encounter with Clayton and now she’s all confidence and speaking her mind. While I think the fact she gained confidence is realistic, it happened awfully quick in my opinion.

Something I noticed while reading this series, is that all the men are extremely similar with their actions and words in the bedroom. I felt like there wasn’t much originality in these scenes. In all honesty, they were just too much for my preference. Too much description, too long, too much everything. The whole “being bad” thing (which was coined during the first chapter when Caroline decides to “be bad” with Clayton, aka have a one night stand with him) was quite frankly stupid to me and it got old really fast.

The drama that occurred was predictable. Jealous exes who are also crazy. Not much else to say about that.

I was trying to describe this book to a friend, and I said that if someone who doesn’t read romance novels wrote down everything they believed them to be, this book would be the result. It was tropey, unrealistic, had over the top drama, bad dialogue, long waxing poetic monologues, excessive descriptions of bedroom scenes, and a very cliche HEA. That’s probably really harsh, but I said I’d give my honest opinion and that is my honest opinion.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This review originally appeared on Books For The Living.
  BooksForTheLiving | Apr 17, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,672,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible