Life 3.0 : being human in the age of…

Life 3.0 : being human in the age of artificial intelligence

by Max Tegmark

I have an interest in AI because of 2 major reasons:
1. What will be the impact of Artificial Intelligence on our workplace and environment (how to maximise its benefits in our future)?
2. How we (humanity) will be treated by the AI as it becomes self-aware.

Life 3.0, written by Max Tegmark is vast, astonishingly extensive. It is the most comprehensive book about the AI I have ever read. It covers all aspects of the AI which I am able to comprehend. The book starts with a brief history of our evolution in reference to technology. The reader acknowledges what the concepts of Life 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are to understand the gradual progress of the AI. Next, the book goes through the matter of intelligence (what is it, and how to emulate it in IT); possible applications of AI (jobs, armament etc.); humanity and the AI in next centuries, AI in the universe and the last but not least, the concept of consciousness.

When it comes to me, the most interesting chapters were the beginning (the prophecy as I call it, which shortly tells what the book will be about... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog: https://leadersarereaders.blog/2018/10/28/life-3-0-being-human-in-the-age-of-art...) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
Before reading this book, my biggest concerns regarding AI were related to surveillance and data collecting. That is only a small fear in the spectrum of AI safety, and Max Tegmark does a wonderful job of reviewing where the bar has been set on our current technology and speculating the endless roads and outcomes of humanity’s decisions and AI goals. The book raises questions about our relationship with AI- will it watch over us as a benevolent god, keep us around as an afterthought, or will there be a synthesis of man and machine living in a utopia? I liked the humorous worse case scenarios such as AI wiping us out in order to maximize paperclip production as an absurd goal, or another intelligent civilization sending us spam signals through space and Earth ending up blindly following along. The chapter on space colonization is fascinating because programming conscious AI with the right goals can potentially spread life throughout the cosmos instead of leaving it in a zombie state. Tegmark’s book is about the importance of having goals (conscientious and beneficial preferably) and setting a path towards its achievement. The Future of Life Institute story illustrates this philosophy. A nice read for tech enthusiasts, programmers, sci-fi fans, and even philosophers. ( )
  Deracine | Sep 19, 2018 |
Another in my series of catching up on AI and the future that awaits us. ( )
  Mark.Kosminskas | Aug 26, 2018 |
I applaud Tegmarks optimism and his focus on aligning AI goals to humanity's goals, but I miss a chapter discussing how humanity would arrive at a common set of goals. ( )
  pan0ramix | Jul 31, 2018 |
I actually only read about half of the book: the first 3 chapters and the 8th chapter on consciousness. I enjoy the mind expansion that comes with reading Tegmark, but it seems that my mind doesn't expand far enough to get even half of what he says. I'm sorry that I really cannot evaluate it, but I did enjoy looking at things from a different perspective and contemplating what I would like to see in a world with artificial intelligence. I liked the many "wow" things included like the number of calculations per second that the human brain does; the amazing feat of recognizing another person; and contemplating what is consciousness in the mass of quarks that we are.

The book seems designed to evoke thought rather than telling the reader what to think.
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |

Max Tegmarkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sjöstrand Svenn, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Svenn, GöstaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"What jobs should be automated? How should our legal systems handle autonomous systems? How likely is the emergence of suprahuman intelligence? A.I. is the future of science, technology, and business--and there is no person better qualified or situated to explore that future than Max Tegmark. What has A.I. brought us? Where will it lead us? The story of A.I. is the story of intelligence--of life processes as they evolve from bacteria (1.0) to humans (2.0), where life processes define their own software, to technology (3.0), where life processes design both their hardware and software. We know that A.I. is transforming work, laws, and weapons, as well as the dark side of computing (hacking and viral sabotage), raising questions that we all need to address: What jobs should be automated? How should our legal systems handle autonomous systems? How likely is the emergence of suprahuman intelligence? Is it possible to control suprahuman intelligence? How do we ensure that the uses of A.I. remain beneficial? These are the issues at the heart of this book and its unique perspective, which seeks a ground apart from techno-skepticism and digital utopia"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible