The Disasters by M. K. England

The Disasters

by M. K. England

Nax and a handful of other space Academy washouts are the only surviving pilots after the school is hijacked by terrorists, but in order to spread the truth about the attack, Nax and his fellow failures must execute a dangerous heist.

So this was not holding my attention in the slightest.

I was expecting a hilarious romp through space with a band of misfits, and that is what I got - but I didn't enjoy it. All the events in the story were happeing and I could not bring myself to care about the characters, the danger, or the high stakes. Nothing effected me and that was such a disappointing feeling. While this was a let down for me, I'm sure many others will love it so it's still worth a shot.

I received a copy of the book from HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Oct 9, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this. A fun group of misfits ... who discover they fit together. You’ll find yourself in one of these crew members! I want to be a honorary member!! ( )
  Charlotte_Kinzie | Jun 20, 2019 |
Four teenagers rejected by the space academy in a space station orbiting Earth in the not too distant future, are in the space port waiting for a shuttle back home when terrorists storm the facility and start killing everyone who opposes them.
Nax has been rejected as a pilot, so he and Rion, Case and Zee commander a nearby ship and hyperspace jump to another planet to escape. Together they must convince everyone in the galaxy that they are not criminals,that the terrorists have planted a super weapon on every colonised world and that they are worthy space citizens.
Also, they team up with the step daughter of a space warlord and steal his supercharged ship, so his henchmen are looking for them too.
Add to this mix Nax' confused feelings for both Rion and Case (he is bisexual) and his estrangement from his brother and we are in for a rollicking ride! ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 1, 2019 |
This was great! I love books like this, sci fi with rebel teens in space lol. This definitely reminded me of Illuminae, which is a huge reason I loved it. Nex was an interesting character for sure. He flunked out of flight school the first day, but is actually a great pilot. He's bisexual and I liked his back and forth with Ryan and Z. The plot was interesting and fun and moved along at a good pace. The narration was great and I highly recommend this book! ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
The Disasters by M K England is a YA space adventure story, in which a group of teens are the only hope for most of humanity. It was mostly a fun read, but there were some physics issues that I found quite distracting.

In many ways this was a fun book. The characters were entertaining and diverse which was fairly refreshing to read. The narrating character, Nax, ends up being the de facto leader of the little team and being inside his head wasn't terrible. It was a good mix of uncertainty, some silly teenage stuff and world-saving plans.

The worldbuilding of this future was based on some sort of magically fast jump drives (that weren't described in detail), which allowed for the colonisation of several habitable planets spread around the galaxy. A bit confusingly, the law is that once someone leaves Earth they can never come back to the planet. The closest they can get is in orbit if they want to talk to their loved ones over live video chat. This wasn't really explained in depth and, while it seems like the kind of thing that might be subverted in this sort of book, it was not. A little baffling, overall.

The biggest problem I had with this book, however, was the complete disregard for the laws of physics. Starting with the part where the space ships had rudders (overall, they behaved a little too much like planes, even when they were in vacuum). There was just so much that didn't make sense on that front that I couldn't ignore it and I couldn't enjoy the book. Every action scene generated a lot of "WTF" for me. Very disappointing. Perhaps if the book overall had been a little bit tighter and faster-paced, I could have ignored more of the physics gaffes. But as it was, I did not enjoy The Disasters and dragged out my reading of it because I just wasn't keen to get back to it. Alas.

So I would recommend this to fans of YA and action adventures in space, but the physics was appalling and I can't recommend it on that front. Obviously, that's not something that will bother everyone, but since it's a YA book and potentially influencing the understanding of space and physics in young minds, I cannot approve.

3 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Apr 22, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,642,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible