At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

At Home in Mitford (original 1994; edition 2005)

by Jan Karon (Author)

Series: Mitford Years (1)

"It's easy to feel at home in Mitford. In these high, green hills, the air is pure, the village is charming, and the people are generally lovable. Yet, Father Tim, the bachelor rector, wants something more. Enter a dog the size of a sofa who moves in and won't go away. Add an attractive neighbor who begins wearing a path through the hedge. Now, stir in a lovable but unloved boy, a mystifying jewel theft, and a secret that's sixty years old. Suddenly, Father Tim gets more than he bargained for. And readers get a rich comedy about ordinary people and their ordinary lives"--… (more)
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:At Home in Mitford
Authors:Jan Karon (Author)
Info:River Oak (2005), 542 pages
Rating:*****

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon (1994)

A Light in the Window by Jan Karon (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: First book in this series
    Stealing Lumby by Gail Fraser (cyderry)
    The Lumby Lines by Gail Fraser (cyderry, bell7)
    bell7: Another gentle read set in a small town full of quirky characters.
    Village School by Miss Read (katie4098)
    katie4098: Jan Karon was inspired by the Village School and Thrush Green series' by Miss Read (Dora Saint). Same theme of country village life.
    Cruel Sanctuary by Brad Reynolds (rxtheresa)
    The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: sense of community
    Far from Home by Anne DeGrace (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: sense of community
    The Widow of Larkspur Inn by Lawana Blackwell (foggidawn)
    Ritual Death (Father Mark Townsend Mystery) by Brad Reynolds (rxtheresa)

English (94)  German (1)  All languages (95)
vicar finds love
  ritaer | Jul 9, 2021 |
"'I've never been one for physical exercise," she said, "but what God does with our faith must be something like workouts. He sees to it that our faith gets pulled, stretched, and pounded, taken to its limits so its limits can expand.'
He liked that--taken to its limits for its limits can expand. Yes!
"'If it doesn't get exercised,' she said thoughtfully, 'it becomes like a weak muscle that fails us when we need it.'"
  bookworm12 | Jul 6, 2021 |
I started this series long ago when it was one of the hottest series going. I remembered it fondly, but I wasn't sure it would live up to my memories. I was feeling a good amount of stress, so I hoped that it would bring some peace to my reading evenings.

I am glad to report that the town of Mitford had enough going on to keep my interest. According to many sources, Mitford is not Blowing Rock, North Carolina, but that town inspired the author. I have to admit that Mitford had that small-town charm, and the setting was certainly in the North Carolina mountains.

Yes, it depicted a simpler time and life, but the pleasure for me was watching Father Tim grow into a broader life. It wasn't always obvious how his faith was being grown or how his involvement with people was deepening, but the changes in his life were heartening. I know what it is to have a year in turmoil, even though the turmoil was because of all the good things happening to me.

Mitford remains a series I can turn to when I need a bit of calmness. It does have a heavy dose of Christianity, which is fine with me. It was never preachy or overbearing.

I would suggest it for people who enjoy Christian fiction or simple stories of ordinary people in an ordinary world. Don't look for huge amounts of angst or blinding flashes of light; this faith is shown in the actions of the people.

I already have the next book in my "to read" list for the coming year. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jan 16, 2021 |
A simple Christian story about people living an apparently easy life in a small town. No complicated plot, just people existing to be nice to others. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Still a delight. I originally read this book in January 2005, and then listened to this Focus on the Family Radio Theater production in February 2005. This month, I listened to it again. I love that Dean Jones reads the part of Father Tim. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Sep 30, 2020 |
For Candace Freeland, my daughter and friend
Candace Freeland (daughter and friend)
He left the coffee-scented warmth of the Main Street Grill and stood for a moment under the green awning.
Philippians 4:13, for Pete's sake.
Consider it done!
No rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need none.
Knitting, he thought, was a comfort to the soul. It was regular. It was repetitious. And in the end, it amounted to something.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible