A Princess in Theory: Reluctant Royals by…

A Princess in Theory: Reluctant Royals (edition 2018)

by Alyssa Cole (Author)

Series: Reluctant Royals (1)

From acclaimed author Alyssa Cole comes the tale of a city Cinderella and her Prince Charming in disguise . . . Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn't have time for fairy tales...or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she's betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she's learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won't convince her otherwise. Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can't resist the chance to experience life--and love--without the burden of his crown. The chemistry between them is instant and irresistible, and flirty friendship quickly evolves into passionate nights. But when the truth is revealed, can a princess in theory become a princess ever after? Selected as one of the New York Times 100 Notable Books of 2018!… (more)
Member:Teezie
Title:A Princess in Theory: Reluctant Royals
Authors:Alyssa Cole (Author)
Info:Avon (2018), 384 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole

***3.5 stars***
*sigh* that was just lovely. I can see me rereading this for when I need something good.

I did miss something while reading it. It didn't get my heart racing. The angst was there but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe because both people had very rational reactions to things. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
For the record: romance novels are not my genre, but the book on tape was available at the library and I remember seeing this book on either the NYT or NPR best of 2018 list... so here we are. I really thought this book was fantastic. The main character is a strong, smart woman in STEM. I thought the discussions of the troubles facing academics in their twenties (e.g., crazy work loads, student loan debt, condescending men in the workplace who simultaneously try to pass their work off on you and make you feel inadequate at the same time, etc.), as well as portraying consent made this book worth the time. I will say, the sheltered Catholic girl in me blushed at some of the hot and heavy portions. So. Many. Details. Ye have been forewarned. Quick, fun read with STEM! ( )
  katethegreat44 | Sep 21, 2021 |
This would make a fun movie; somebody should do that. I’m not a huge fan of contemporary romances—basically if there isn’t a bodice located somewhere in the room that could potentially be ripped I have a harder time swallowing down some of the more common romance tropes—but I heard great things about this series and I’m glad I picked it up. I liked both of the main characters, which is always a bit of a crapshoot in a romance novel, and I’m interested in the characters that are clearly being set up for romances in future books (Portia and her twin sister Regina, Ledi’s cousin Nya, and, fingers crossed, expert PA Likotsi, who was the best character, obviously). Great start to a new series. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
A grad student is courted by an African prince.

2/4 (Indifferent).

I gave up on it after about 90 pages. It's very much like a formulaic Hollywood romantic comedy (where everything can be predicted two scenes in advance), minus the comedy.

(Apr. 2021) ( )
  comfypants | Apr 26, 2021 |
I liked it!
The setting is kind of ridiculous - what if all that spam you get in your inbox about nobility from an African country being your distant relatives or leaving you inheritance was actually true?
Naledi has been kicked by life and is tightly wound and distrustful of anything good happening to her, always waiting for the other shoe to drop. She is smart, stubborn, capable, and fiercely loyal to the people she considers friends.
Prince Thabiso comes from the African kingdom of Thesolo, and he kinda reminded me of the MC from the Asian drama Boys Over Flowers in it that he is a privileged rich boy comically divorced from all the aspects and intricacies of a regular person's life. But he's also very serious and capable in what he was born and bread to do, quick to apologize and own up to his own mistakes and unbearably sweet to Naledi. Seriously. My teeth ached (in a good way!).
When the two meet there's an instant attraction, but they will have to work through Naledi's issues with trust (in herself, other people, the universe). It doesn't help in the least that Thabiso lied to her about who he was (which was a shitty thing to do, but I also understood his motives).
The ending was perfect imho - just the right kind of hfn. I wouldn't mind reading the sequel, even if I only get a glimpse of how they settled down in the end.

Final rating: 3.5 stars ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |

Alyssa Coleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Badalaty, NadineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chilton, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For all the people who were told they couldn't be princesses: you always were one.
"I really don't have time for this," Naledi muttered, the soothing hum of various expensive laboratory equipment masking the aggravation in her tone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,405,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible