Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink) by Christine…

Judgment Road (Torpedo Ink)

by Christine Feehan

Judgement Road is one of those books that will keep you up all night. At first, I felt a little confused. Like perhaps there was a prequel or something that I missed. But, you catch up pretty quick, and the story makes sense! Anya was a heroine I loved from the start. She is a kind of 'boot and rally' girl. Down on her luck but determined to make a better life for herself. You can't help but root for her. When the girls were mean to her, I cried. Like Anya, I think many women have experience bullying from other women and it always is so upsetting. Women face so many issues that when we turn on each other, its even more crushing. I was glad to see this was addressed and rectified.

If you are sensitive to certain topics, you might want to check out the trigger warning. While I think Feehan handled the topics with appropriateness, this book is full of tragic events that could be upsetting to some readers!

Reaper is exactly what I expect when I hear motorcycle club. He is hardened and will kill without compunction. The club is 'clean' in the sense they don't run drugs or anything, but they are hired assassins. You get some of the backstory about how all these men grew up and its so sad. The abuse they went through is heartbreaking. Even though Reaper was cold and, at times, cruel, it felt true to his character and understandable.

There are some people in the club with some unique psychic abilities. There is a turn of events where these abilities are used on Anya and I was like "Oh hell no!". I was so enraged! Trust broken!! It was this huge violation and I could not believe it. Its such a huge turning point in the story. The action really picks up after this and the focus becomes saving the wife of another MC president as well as Anya. There is also a few bumps in the 'relationship road' for Anya and Reaper. The man is totally clueless and takes advice from other, equally clueless men. The ending felt a little off to me. I wasn't expecting THAT to be the end of the book. A little anticlimactic perhaps? I'm not sure what exactly felt off, but it just felt unfinished to me.

Ok, y'all know I love my maps. So, initially the author mentions Highway 1 up the coast. So, I instantly think California. But then she mentions Fort Bragg and I think North Carolina. So, I turn to Google and discovered there is a Fort Bragg in California. And also, the city the club is in is a real place! (I'm a geography nerd. I could stare at maps for hours! When I was little and we went to vacation, we had an atlas of all 50 states. I spent hours just looking at that thing! Directionality is my superpower too. I can tell you which way is north, south, east, and west from just about anywhere I happen to be. Pretty lame 'superpower' but whatever!)

So, here is the area the book is set in. The club resides in Caspar, CA. Next, I have expanded the map so you can see where it is in relations to other places in CA.

Judgment Road has rocketed to one of my favorite reads. It is a sort of spin off of the Sea Haven series and I am totally going to binge on that series next! I might just change my Author Love Challenge to Christine Feehan!!!

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: yes, parts of the story are so emotional it just made my eyes leak!

• Trope: MC club

• Triggers: Reaper and the other guys in the club experienced horrible physical and sexual abuse. Feehan handles is with delicacy but what they went through is very horrible.

• Series/Standalone: stand alone

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes

Beautiful Killer by Sherilee Gray, Rocco by Sarah Castille, Fear the Beard by Lani Lynn Vale...then you will probably like Judgement Road!

Judgement Road

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
I did enjoy JUDGMENT ROAD, but I wouldn't really call it paranormal romance.

I'm going to jump right into the characters. It takes a bit to really get to know Reaper, but I liked him. He has a really tough past that wasn't easy to read about. He is pretty deadly and comes across as heartless, but I felt for him and was really rooting for his HEA. Anya is on the run, but we don't really find out from what until way into the story. She is alone in the world and it was easy to connect to her feelings. She didn't trust easily and there were a few times that I wanted to shake her and say OPEN UP a little, but I totally got where she was coming from.

I enjoyed getting to know the secondary characters. They are ALL flawed and it will be interesting to watch them in future books. Having said that, I wasn't totally sold on the back stories of the motorcycle club. It is pretty out there and the facts are a little few and far between. I think maybe this might change as we get to know each member better.

The only paranormal thing happening in JUDGMENT ROAD is the fact that it's mentioned a few times that the members of Torpedo Ink motorcycle club have some talents. There isn't much use of these talents and their talents are an afterthought in the grand scheme of things. Maybe this will change in future books, but as of right now, I don't really feel the paranormal coming through.

Now the romance definitely shines through and the sexy times can get pretty steamy. The relationship between Anya and Reaper is slow to form and has it's issues, but they fit together. When they both let the romance happen it is pure magic.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Mar 27, 2018 |
Not that bad of a start to the new series. The paranormal aspect was less obvious. Will have to see how the other books go. I haven't had a tattoo, but kind of wonder about Anya getting the wrist finger print tattoos as kind of a trivial thing. Yes, they were wrapped afterwards, but they just "poof" were on with no effort. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Mar 18, 2018 |
strong sex/ gritty mc ( )
  Janicemo | Feb 25, 2018 |
I wanted to read Judgment Road because it was a spinoff from the Sea Haven series and I rather enjoyed a few of those books. Although, I was not drawn to the motorcycle club idea because honestly it just doesn’t appeal to me but I was willing to give it a try because I am a fan of Christine Feehan’s works. At the start of Judgment Road I was thinking that I made a mistake because the main character Reaper basically worshipped his club and well……. meh, but as the story progressed I found that there was more to this club than met the eye (which is also something I remembered from the Sea Haven series) and I began to like where things were going.

Reaper was not a character that I was drawn to initially, especially with how he was such a creeper around Anya Rafferty. I will admit though that I was drawn to the mystery of why she got under his skin so easily. As the story between them played out I began to like Reaper more and more. He may not have said all the right things, like ever, but his actions spoke volumes. I loved that he cared so much about Anya’s well-being and happiness. I wasn’t the biggest fan of how domineering he was with her in the beginning but given his history and that it was something that he was willing to try and deal with so that he could be safe for Anya, well that did melt my icy heart a bit for him. I think that Anya and Reaper together was a great pairing and their relationship was both steamy and swoony.

Some of the subject material in Judgment Road was very hard to read because just the idea of what had taken place in the lives of these characters when they were children was just disturbing but I loved that they bound themselves together and developed their own family. I also loved that skills that the club members learned for nefarious purposes, that they turned those skills around for the purpose of good. The scenes where they went to take down the bad guys, absolutely epic. I am a fan of vigilante justice and everything that was done to the villains in this book set very well with me. By the time I was done reading Judgment Road my personal judgment on this series had also changed and I can’t wait to continue reading the Torpedo Ink series!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jan 21, 2018 |

"As the enforcer of the Torpedo Ink motorcycle club, Reaper lives for riding and fighting. He's a stone-cold killer who turns his wrath on those who deserve it. Feelings are a weakness he can't afford--until a gorgeous bartender gets under his skin ... Near Sea Haven, Anya's touch is everything Reaper doesn't want--and it brands him to the bone. But when her secrets catch up to her, Reaper will have to choose between Anya and his club--his heart and his soul.the small town of Caspar has given Anya Rafferty a new lease on life. And she's desperate to hold on to her job at the biker bar, even if the scariest member of the club seems to have it out for her. But Reaper's imposing presence and smoldering looks just ratchet up the heat."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,614,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible