We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories…

We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated,… (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Gabrielle Union (Author)

Member:lazybee
Title:We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True
Authors:Gabrielle Union (Author)
Info:Dey Street Books (2017), 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction, memoir, American, 2017, borrowed, read 2018

We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True by Gabrielle Union (2017)

This book has given me the most perspective on what living as a person of color in the United States today must be like (at least as much as a Caucasian could understand). Her candid and very real descriptions of her life (both as a young and middle age woman) are startling in their detail and honesty. This is a funny and endearing read - and one people should read to both affirm their own experiences and help the understand that of others. ( )
  sbenne3 | Oct 28, 2018 |
As promised, We're Going to Need More Wine delivers "stories that are funny, complicated, and true". They are also feminist, anti-racist, inclusive, and intimate. The essays were both familiar and revelatory. Ms. Union holds nothing back in both holding herself accountable and in using her own life to show how we all can do better. And it's funny as fuck. Thank you for this brilliant book.

I strongly recommend the audio version for those who indulge. Being a performer, Ms. Union does an excellent job of bringing her essays to life. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Aug 31, 2018 |
Actress Gabrielle Union shares stories from her life in this funny and very accessible memoir. She talks about growing up African American in a predominant white neighborhood, and her dating mistakes and triumphs. She also discusses her assault and her work to support survivors of sexual violence. There are moments in the book that are heartbreaking, yet it is also tremendously funny. Union has a way of telling a story that makes you feel like the two of you are old friends talking over drinks. Anyone who is a fan of Union’s work will want to read this book, but I’d wager that those unfamiliar with her movies and TV shows will also enjoy it. ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Aug 14, 2018 |
We’re Going to Need More Wine
Billionaire Secrets, Book 2

I Picked Up This Book Because: Curiosity

The Story:

I’m struggling to sum up this book. I can say the title is true, I needed wine. Not because there were bad stories but because some of the stories were so intense. Gabrielle was charming, amusing and at time brutally honest. I found very much in common with her early life experiences. I learned a lot about grace, triumph and dignity with the stories from her late teens and early twenties. I will reflect on many of the experiences she has had from her career and learning to raise a family.

I’m glad she shared this piece of her soul with the world and I’m glad I took the time to listen to it.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | May 10, 2018 |
Even though the ending felt a tab abrupt, I was surprised by how much I liked this. I love her voice (not literally in this case as this wasn't an audiobook). ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |

In this collection of essays, actress Gabrielle Union tells personal and true stories about power, color, gender, feminism, and fame.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,150,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible