City of Night (Dean Koontz's…

City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 2) (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Dean Koontz, Ed Gorman

They are stronger, heal better, and think faster than any humans ever created--and they must be destroyed. But not even Victor Helios--once Frankenstein--can stop the engineered killers he's set loose on a reign of terror through modern-day New Orleans. Now the only hope rests in a one-time "monster" and his all-too-human partners, Detectives Carson O'Connor and Michael Maddison. Deucalion's centuries-old history began as Victor's first and failed attempt to build the perfect human--and it is fated to end in the ultimate confrontation between a damned creature and his mad creator. But first Deucalion must destroy a monstrosity not even Victor's malignant mind could have imagined--an indestructible entity that steps out of humankind's collective nightmare with one purpose: to replace us.… (more)
Member:lescollins42
Title:City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 2)
Authors:Dean Koontz
Other authors:Ed Gorman
Info:Bantam (2009), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

City of Night by Dean Koontz (2005)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (33)
the first one was better, but it wasn't bad. it was quick and moves the story to the next chapter ( )
  tmbookluvr | Dec 3, 2019 |
This entry in the series takes off where book one stopped. Onto book 3 to see where things end up at the end of that one. Hoping it will be as much of a page turner as these first 2 books were. We shall see. I must say I do like what Koontz has done with the place and doing some updating to the story line and expanding it quite nicely. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
Book 2 of the Frankenstein series. This one for the first half left me overwhelmed with so many characters jumping around from chapter to chapter. I was almost ready to give up but I'm glad I didn't. It got a lot better towards the end and all the characters came together and made sense. This one was definitely crazier and creepier. (panther spider transformation? ick) At the end, it looks like its definitely going to crazier in the next book, which I look forward to reading. ( )
  booklover3258 | Feb 20, 2019 |

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 482
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Victor Helios is stepping up his campaign of the overthrow of the world with his newmen. Unfortunately for him, some really weird things are starting to happen with his newmen and even though he doesn't realize it yet, he's losing control. They are changing, mutating, becoming something completely non-human.

Deucalion is still hamstrung by his inability to harm Victor and so his use of police detectives Carson O'Connor and her partner Michael Maddison continues.

Victor sends some of his assassins after Carson and her autistic younger brother but things don't go as Victor planned because one of his creations managed to get to them first and put them on guard.

The book ends with the group planning on how to assault Victor and not unleash the wrath of the newmen who have replaced so many key officials in New Orleans.

My Thoughts:

This series is one I am glad I didn't read as it came out. Each “book” ends on a serious cliffhanger and without a lot of resolution. It is really more one big story that has been artificially chunked up into 5 separate books. Knowing that I have it completed and just waiting for me to read, I don't mind nearly so much. I'm actually reading the omnibus edition, but reading over 1500 pages all at once is just a bit more than I want to deal with. Plus, it's easier to review 5 smaller chunks than one huge thing like that.

This time around there is no small time villain like in the previous book. It made the cops' part feel not as needed. A lot more time with the newmen happens and we see some of the happenings as they change. It is wicked creepy and yet perfectly illustrates how evil always turns on itself and destroys itself.

The threat of the newmen is also made a bit more evident in this book. There was at least one incident where the newmen assassins (a couple where the woman is going crazy because she wants a baby but Victor created them unable to have children) simply walked through a hail of 9mm bullets. Being very familiar with the 9mm, as I own a Sig-p938 cbt, it really brought out just how dangerous these beings were. Not immortal, not invincible, but not something that a regular police force could handle. A race of super villains as it were.

Both Carson and Michael come to the realization, and acceptance, that to stop Victor, it will probably cost them their lives. That is a sobering thought to me as a reader. It also makes me want to cheer for them even harder. Heroes.

The ending with the group planning to assault Victor's secret lab really amped up the tension for me. The lab is filled with newmen, but it is also starting to fill up with the mutations, all of which are wicked nasty and give even the newmen a run for their money in the violence department.

I really wanted to just jump into the next book right away, to see what happens. But I know myself well enough to not start down that path again. I'll get to the next book in a month or two. That wait won't hurt me and will help temper any excitement and expectations I may have for book 3.

★★★☆½ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Jan 24, 2018 |
They changed readers! Yay!
The book ends rather abruptly, and I feel like before there is any real resolution to the book's story arcs. I am glad I waited until all 4 books were out before I started the series, as I don't really have to wait to get into the next story. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
Relax. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, volume one of which, Prodigal Son (2005), was a pulse-pounder all the way, is going to be a trilogy. But don't expect to relax all that much. This book cooks, no second-volume doldrums anywhere in it. Its short, punchy chapters, 80 in all, seem to reflect the whole saga's TV miniseries origins in their jump-cutting between plot trajectories, but that seeming also owes much to the visualizability, so to speak, of everything in the book. But enough about technique. The manufactured young man who went AWOL from 200-plus-year-old Victor Helios-ne-Frankenstein's labs in Prodigal Son turns out to be not the only improved Frankenstein monster who is behaving strangely. Since he was created autistic for experimental purposes, he may be the least strange of the lot. Some of his "normal" fellows are mutating a la Alien, none more spectacularly than Victor's body guard. Deucalion, the original monster, now greatly humanized, especially ethically and morally, realizes that the mutations portend a much larger wave of breakdowns among the so-called New Race. That bodes very ill for a New Orleans heavily salted with Victor's creations, all of them programmed to kill mere humans at Victor's command, which the mutants no longer obey. Meanwhile, NOPD detectives Carson O'Connor and Michael Maddison prepare to hunt Victor down, even as a couple of hit-person New Racers track them. And then there is Erica Five, Victor's brand-new "wife," learning to be a better spouse by exploring hubby's house. Smart dialogue and cutting-edge scientific notions (Deucalion has learned how to teleport) are the oh-so-sweet icing on this delectable thriller's irresistible, devourable cake.

"In a sort of ghastly simplicity, we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful."

---C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Having come to life in a thunderstorm, touched by some strange lightning that animated rather than incinerated, Deucalion had been born on a night of violence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,252,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible