Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2)

Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2) (original 1977; edition 1992)

Member:kimera
Title:Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2)
Authors:
Info:Recorded Books (1992), Audio CD

Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (1977)

Fledgling by Sharon Lee (timepiece)
    timepiece: Another novel in which a teenager discovers that her problems lie in her stifling environment, not in herself - and that there are people elsewhere who appreciate her talents and contributions.

Pern books may just be my guilty pleasure. A YA Mary Sue written way before those terms/genres ever came into being hence invalidating any negative connotations that may immediately crop up with those two labels for me. Or I may just be unduly biased to Pern (not that my wide ranging 3-Pern-book-total-read experience is any indication). I guess you may take this review with a grain of salt. I enjoyed reading this, YMMV.

Source: Bought used off Better World Books. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey is the second book of the Harper Hall trilogy (along with Dragonsong and Dragon Drums). I first read these and the original Dragonriders of Pern trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon) back when I was barely a teenager.

I loved all of them for many years, along with many other McCaffrey stories. It took me awhile to figure out that one of the things that I really enjoyed is that there is no religion in this fantasy setting, and no war or large-scale violence.

The Harper Hall trilogy are my favorites, and the only ones I am interested in keeping now. That's because they don't involve any sex, unlike the other early trilogy. It took me a long time to figure out that McCaffrey's portrayal of sex was deeply problematic: almost always involving at least one scene where the man makes sexual overtures, the woman says no, and the man goes ahead anyway. Sex without consent is by definition rape. Add in the particular twist of the telepathic bonds with dragons or fire lizards, such that when the dragons mate, the people linked to them have sex too, swept away by the sexual urges. Which is to say, the woman bonded to the gold queen dragon doesn't get to pick her sex partner and may not even know what the hell is happening if she didn't happen to grow up in a dragon weyr. But hey, that's just biology and associated social order.

The protagonist of Dragonsinger is Menolly, the youngest daughter of the chief (Holder) of a small, isolated fishing village (seahold). She's about 15 at the beginning of the second book. Menolly has just arrived at Harper Hall to great acclaim as Petiron's lost apprentice. However, she struggles to find her place in this new, unfamiliar community while still healing from the injuries, both physical and emotional, acquired in Dragonsong. She's an apprentice, but the lone female, and can't stay in the barracks with the boys. There are other girls, but they're casual students and more concerned with social status and dating. Her encounters with various students, apprentices, and masters of various musical disciplines leave her uncertain about her future at Harper Hall.

This is a charming books featuring a strong female character coming of age and finding her strength and her friends. She deals with physical and emotional abuse, seeking food and shelter, social ostracism, bullying, prejudice, and overly narrow gender roles. But the story is hopeful and ultimately rewarding. I wanted to be Menolly when I read these books at her age. ( )
  justchris | Jan 22, 2017 |
While trying to escape almost certain death, Menolly has been rescued by dragon and rider, and finds herself where she's wanted to be for a long time: the Harper Hall. But not everything goes well, as petty jealousies and vindictive acts abound, from those who attempt to make her stay unpleasant, or even worse, very short-lived. Her main source of emotional support comes from her nine fire lizards, a "half-wit" kitchen drudge, and a young troublemaker.

Of all Anne McCaffrey's works, I am most fond of the Harper Hall series, and especially this second volume of Menolly's tale. It's aimed at all ages, and worthy of a read, whether by an adolescent, or a granny, like me. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 21, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |

Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bohusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Andre Norton this book is respectfully, admiringly, lovingly dedicated
When Menolly, daughter of Yanus Sea Holder, arrived at the Harper Craft Hall, she came in style, aboard a bronze dragon.

Pursuing her dream to be a Harper of Pern, Menolly studies under the Masterharper learning that more is required than a facility with music and a clever way with words. Sequel to Dragonsong.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,060,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible