Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2)

Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2) (original 1977; edition 1992)

Member:kimera
Title:Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2)
Authors:
Info:Recorded Books (1992), Audio CD

Dragonsinger: Harper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (1977)

Recently added byIslandDave, private library, DBReads, rcress, redmandjd50, Glennis.LeBlanc, derik.irelan, EdJWebb
Anne McCaffrey (38) dragon (34) dragonriders (22) dragons (365) ebook (14) fantasy (826) favorite (13) fiction (382) fire lizards (35) Harper Hall (127) harpers (17) McCaffrey (38) music (84) musicians (13) novel (32) own (28) owned (14) paperback (47) pb (13) Pern (507) read (89) science fantasy (14) science fiction (487) series (71) sf (101) sff (101) speculative fiction (19) to-read (18) YA (41) young adult (75)
    Fledgling by Sharon Lee (timepiece)
    timepiece: Another novel in which a teenager discovers that her problems lie in her stifling environment, not in herself - and that there are people elsewhere who appreciate her talents and contributions.

Second book in the trilogy, Menolly has made it to the Harper Hall and is trying to find her place. The other young girls studying there aren't as talented and their jealousy makes for a lot of problems. She has to overcome the emotional damage that her family left her as well, beating her for her music. It gets a bit emotional as she's encouraged to sing, play and compose at the Hall. She also brings a lot of hard won knowledge about fire lizards. ( )
  silentq | Jun 5, 2014 |
This story follows Book One, Dragonsong, without a blink. I hold a lot of nostalgia for these books. I used to take five to six hour trips every month to see my step-son. I used to imagine dragons flying among the mountain peeks as we traveled along the boring freeway.

Anne McCaffery died in November of last year. I’m saddened that there will be no new releases. As an adult, her work inspired me to daydream. A trait I was discourage from pursuing as a child, and thought I had outgrown. She and others like her are the reason why I can write today. I hope her work continues to bring dreams and joy to all generations to come.
  lsfayne | Apr 16, 2014 |
As a sequel this could not be better. Picking up where Dragonsong left off it is a great book. I recommend every young person read this, preferably they should have this as part of their school work. A book that can teach much about understanding and of course about wonder. ( )
  suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |
Makes me want to keep reading. I really like the world. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I read this book in sixth grade and for years after, I remembered this story, like it haunted me. Years later I finally remembered and figured out what the book was, and rediscovered an incredible world. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, SallyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malczynski, ElizabethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Andre Norton this book is respectfully, admiringly, lovingly dedicated
When Menolly, daughter of Yanus Sea Holder, arrived at the Harper Craft Hall, she came in style, aboard a bronze dragon.

MENOLLY - MISTRESS OF FIRE LIZARDS, APPRENTICE OF HARPER HALL

Menolly arrived in triumph at the Harper Hall, aboard a bronze dragon. She had run away from home and lived in a cave, outrun the dread threadfall, impressed nine fire lizards and written songs that pleased the Masterharper of Pern.
But what was her future at the hall to be?

It seemed she was always late or her fire lizards underfoot, and why didn't any of the other girls like her? Now that there was nothing to keep her from her beloved music and fire lizards, could Menolly learn to live among others, realize her talent and find her rightful place in the future of Pern?
    -----------------------------------

O TONGUE, GIVE SOUND TO JOY
AND SING OF HOPE AND PROMISE
ON DRAGON WING
My mighty craft is winged in white;
A dragon of night-dark sea.
Swiftborn, dreamhound and rudderless;
Her captain and crew are me.
I sail a hundred sleeping tides
Where no seaman's ever been
And only my white-winged craft and I
Know the marvels we have seen.

Pursuing her dream to be a Harper of Pern, Menolly studies under the Masterharper learning that more is required than a facility with music and a clever way with words. Sequel to Dragonsong.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,232,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible