Eugenia Lincoln and the unexpected package :…

Eugenia Lincoln and the unexpected package : tales from Deckawoo drive,… (edition 2017)

by Kate DiCamillo

When an unexpected package containing an accordion arrives, Eugenia Lincoln tries to get rid of the instrument by selling it, destroying it, and giving it away, but nothing works.
Member:REINADECOPIAYPEGA
Title:Eugenia Lincoln and the unexpected package : tales from Deckawoo drive, volume 4
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Somerville, MA : Candlewick Press, 2017.

Eugenia Lincoln and the Unexpected Package by Kate DiCamillo

Eugenia Lincoln is an extremely practical person. Her sister, Baby Lincoln is the complete opposite. When an unexpected, large box is delivered to their house, Eugenia wants to refuse it, but the delivery man tells her it can't be done. She is not happy about the unexpected delivery and is even more unhappy to find it contains an accordion! She has no use for it and is determined to get rid of it some how. Meanwhile her neighbours are delighted with the surprise delivery and think she should keep it as it could add some fun and joy to her life. ( )
  noorkazmi | Mar 28, 2019 |
Two elderly sisters find a package on their stoop one day marked for the elder sister and containing an unsolicited accordion. When she tries to get rid of the accordion, she finds that’s not as easy as she thought as she’s encouraged to find the music in her heart instead of being so closed off.

I think I’m being generous with my two-star rating of this book; it really did absolutely nothing for me. The supposed quaint “folksy” charm of the book came off as stereotypical and mocking to me, and the one-note characterizations were similarly off-putting. Pair that with illustrations that continue to correlate appearance with personality (e.g., the prim and proper, no fuss-no muss sister is portrayed with a pinched face), and the result is a disservice to children I think.

Likewise, the “problem” is neatly tied up by the sister beginning to play the accordion and immediately having a beautiful-sounding song come out. There’s just no basis in reality for that; children know that it’s hard work to get an instrument to sound good and, again, it’s a disservice to tell them otherwise.

Perhaps those who have read other books in this series have more of an attachment to these characters and setting, but again it did nothing for me. I wonder if the young audience it’s intended for will even get reference like calling information, looking through a print encyclopedia, etc. Based on their hairstyles, two of the characters are meant to be African-American but their skin color is still white in the illustrations. What an odd choice.

Honestly, I have difficulty seeing how this series is popular or finding anything about this book to recommend it. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a cute book about a beautiful relationship between sisters (even if they are as different as day and night). I liked the story, it was funny- the reason I gave 4 stars is because the language was heavy on the first pages for kids and repetition (not specific to this version, all mercy books have this) gets to you after awhile. ( )
  soontobefree | May 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My son loves this series and this book did not disappoint. Although he still prefers Mercy Watson, this book was just as enjoyable. ( )
  TheNovelWorld | May 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Perfect addition to the Mercy Watson collection! With a longer chapters and fewer illustrations, it is great for readers who have mastered Mercy Watson and are ready for more but want to stay in the same universe with familiar characters. Not quite as entertaining but just as twee with all the old-fashioned fun we have come to love! ( )
  jbarry | Feb 22, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate DiCamillo's book Eugenia Lincoln and the Unexpected Package was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,906,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible