Steal this book by Abbie Hoffman

Steal this book (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Abbie Hoffman, Izak Haber, Bert Cohen

Member:xydexx
Title:Steal this book
Authors:Abbie Hoffman
Other authors:Izak Haber, Bert Cohen
Info:New York, N.Y. : Distributed by Grove Press, c1971.

Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman (1971)

Recently added byadnhill, ShaunCook, kendyles, private library, Jamski, JackAylward, kmzaytoon, over.the.edge
    Alternative London by Nicholas Saunders (Sylak)
    Sylak: This is basically what the same book looks like on the other side of the Atlantic.

English (6)  Finnish (1)  All languages (7)
I originally read this book in the long ago times, when it was first published. There was a lot of information in it that seemed entertaining, but not actually as useful as it sounded. I recalled the constant suggestions of how to shoplift, and steal, and it bothered me then. It still does. This copy has an interesting foreword by Lisa Fithian, and then an introduction by Al Giordano, who talks about the original naming of the book, and other things, and both of those are worth the price of admission.

It was published so very long ago, and this isn't just a reprint. With the exception of the updates for Fithian and Giordano, it's basically photocopied from the original. It's uneven; there's at least one image of a cartoon where most of the words are impossible to read. Then again, I don't know that it matters all that much. It's certainly a trip down memory lane. I lived in those times, and I'm not sure that it reads the same for those to whom Nixon is an historical figure, and the 1968 Democratic convention is a footnote, at best. I remember that night better than I remember breakfast this morning, and the world changed then.

Abbie Hoffman was born out of those times. So was this book. It's a mirror for those days, but the mirror is a distorted one. (It's also terribly dated, but that's to be expected. 1971 was a LONG time ago.) ( )
  Lyndatrue | Apr 15, 2018 |
Abbie Hoffman and “Steal this Book” was my introduction to the counter culture of the late 60s. I read this (borrowed from a library rather than stealing it) nearly 30 years after it was written (and twenty years prior to this review) and couldn’t help but feel galvanised by Hoffman (although it took me some time to find out who the author was and then how important this Hoffman chap was).

Hoffman recommends a list of sometimes ingenious ways to get stuff for free, ranging from meat from the meat packers area of New York (make the meat hit the ground and then they have to throw it away) to free buffalos. He also reminisces about the time he rained money down on the NY Stock Exchange and how the stick brokers went apeshit. Obviously all good fun for the people that followed Hoffman’s lead but stepping back you know that Hoffman was criticised for publicising the free stuff, leading lots of people to try the same, thus annoying the people who were doing it regularly as a way to live, and of course the poor meat packers who were swamped with idiots trying to get them to drop the meat. Still, a great time capsule of western civilisation in the late 1960s. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Sep 21, 2017 |
Changed my world view, even though I borrowed it from the library instead of stealing it. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
First saw this book in High school where it was passed around with a laugh. Found this copy in a thrift store. Obviously dated now, it is fascinating to read about how the counter coulture viewed itself in the heady days of the early 1970s. ( )
  kaki5231 | Sep 8, 2012 |
Anyone who lived in the sixties and has not read this book probably voted for Nixon, BOTH TIMES! That in itself is not a crime.

If you are NOT as old as dirt, you still owe it to yourself to take a swim through these pages.

Failing to grasp the dynamic of this era and its implications that are echoed with the current events (drug wars, poverty, land wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.) is a modern mind crime. If you are a member of a militia, you may not be interested in the obvious or not so obvious messages of this book. You will probably never grasp the concept of revolution as theater. ( )
2 vote DougUnit12 | Nov 5, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156858217X, Paperback)

A driving force behind the social revolution of the 1960s and 1970s, Hoffman inspired a generation to challenge the status quo. Meant as a practical guide for the aspiring hippie, Steal This Book captures Hoffman's puckish tone and became a cult classic with over 200,000 copies sold. Outrageously illustrated by R. Crumb, it nevertheless conveys a serious message to all would-be revolutionaries: You don't have to take it anymore. "All Power to the Imagination was his credo. Abbie was the best." — Studs Terkel

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,948,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible