One True Way by Shannon Hitchcock

One True Way (edition 2019)

by Shannon Hitchcock (Author)

From the moment she met Samantha, star of the school basketball team, on her first day at Daniel Boone Middle School, Allison Drake felt she had found a friend, something she needs badly since her brother died and her father left--but as their friendship grows it begins to evolve into a deeper emotion, and in North Carolina in 1977, it is not easy to discover that you might be gay.… (more)
Member:jennybeast
Title:One True Way
Authors:Shannon Hitchcock (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2019), 224 pages
Rating:**
Tags:kids, lgbtq, read

Work Information

One true way by Shannon Hitchcock

Ok, so I firmly believe that we need more LGBTQIA2+ books for kids. And they need to be simple reads so that younger kids can access them. And I particularly appreciate that this one validates a 12 year old's feelings as real, and that both good and bad counseling is represented -- honestly the message here is great, the characters have a certain charm, it's a really accessible book. If you must write a book coming from a strongly Christian background, I love that there is more than one type of Christianity represented (Methodist, with a female minister as well as a more Evangelical/Southern Baptist pov). I love that there are recognizably gay characters in the community and they are also part of the conversation.

However, for a 200 page book, this one was a slog -- I found it desperately boring. I did not like that Allie never resolves things with Webb. I also found it extremely formulaic -- chapter will consist of: journalist main character learns something to like about someone she did not previously know. 1970's song/tv show/pop culture reference. Angst. Ribbit Ribbit. Repeat. I don't even think this is linked to the author not being gay herself -- I think she does a great job portraying a young person coming to terms with self-awareness, and weaves that in well with the overlying themes of grief and divorce -- it's just missing a spark for me. I hope it offers something more to the intended audience. ( )
  jennybeast | Aug 5, 2022 |
children's middlegrade fiction (girl moves to new middleschool and realizes that not only are two of her favorite teachers secretly gay, but she herself is gay; set in the 1970s South).
This is one of those rare middleschool books that doesn't deal with school bullies (the kids are all actually really nice despite everyone's differences)--though it does have parent bullies. A helpful, gentle guide for those young kids who are going through similar issues in their lives (or know someone who is). I think I cried solidly through the last half of the book; it is a good story and I think it will be appreciated by many.
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Welcome to Daniel Boone Middle School in the 1970s, where teachers and coaches must hide who they are, and girls who like girls are forced to question their own choices. Presented in the voice of a premier storyteller, One True Way sheds exquisite light on what it means to be different, while at the same time being wholly true to oneself. Through the lives and influences of two girls, readers come to see that love is love is love. Set against the backdrop of history and politics that surrounded gay rights in the 1970s South, this novel is a thoughtful, eye-opening look at tolerance, acceptance, and change, and will widen the hearts of all readers. publisher
  jhennessy627 | Jan 28, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,783,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible