Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Forever Odd (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Dean Koontz

Series: Odd Thomas (2)

Every so often a character so captures the hearts and imaginations of listeners that he seems to take on a life of his own long after the chapter ends. For such a character, one book is not enough - listeners must know what happens next. With the emotional power and sheer storytelling artistry that are his trademarks, Koontz takes up once more the story of a unique young hero and an eccentric little town in a tale that is equal parts suspense and terror, adventure and mystery - and altogether irresistibly odd. We're all a little odd beneath the surface. He's the most unlikely hero you'll ever meet - an ordinary guy with a modest job you might never look at twice. But there's so much more to any of us than meets the eye - and that goes triple for Odd Thomas. For Odd lives always between two worlds in the small desert town of Pico Mundo, where the heroic and the harrowing are everyday events. Odd never asked to communicate with the dead - it's something that just happened.… (more)
Member:runesmith
Title:Forever Odd
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Forever Odd by Dean Koontz (2005)

English (101)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (104)
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

So for this book, I had started out listening to the audiobook but finished the last fourth of the book on my kindle cause my time for the audiobook ran out and I needed to return it to the library. The narrator was good though. I like him and he fits well with how I perceive Odd in my head. I may listen to instead of reading more in the series and I hope he continues to do them.

So this one didn't have the same scare that the first did. It lacked the Bodachs. Which were super a huge deal in the scare factor from the first book. It was also more casual, less rush, then the first. It was still really funny though and there were some scary moments. The chick in the book is super crazy too. I think it's interesting how the book swerves off out of story to tell little facts. The way it's done adds to Odd's character in my opinion. The book ended with a great setup for the next book.

How I choose my rating:
1* Hated it. I had to force myself to finish it.
2** Didn't like it. I didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other than for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this book's content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
A good continuation from the first Odd book.... although it seemed as though it was too short and not enough character development.. the overall book seemed very secluded and in a separate world than the first... as if he left Pico Mundo all together... where's all his friends? they were hardly used at all or consulted with... not like the first book... Odd relied on them heavily then.. hoping the next book has more of the Odd from the first book... ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
My favorite still so far is the first in the series. Forever Odd is a rather small story involving only a limited number of characters with really only one story arc and one principle setting (a burned out casino) in the whole book. The action takes place over one day. Since I read it on an e-reader I really don't know how many pages it was, but it seemed like I finished it in no time at all. Despite a rather simple story line, I really enjoyed my time with Odd---he continues to be one of the most interesting characters I have met. Once again, I found myself either nodding or laughing out loud at his narration and his statements about his philosophy of life. And the story, albeit a rather straightforward hunt and chase, was compelling as told by Mr. Thomas. I wonder how much of Dean Koontz is in this character. Probably quite a bit. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
Old reviews went missing. How does save not working?

A good paranormal mystery book in a non-creepy way. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
When I began perusing the non-children's shelves in Kirton Library back at the tender age of eleven I started with science fiction: Arthur C. Clarke and every Star Trek novel I could find. At some point, though, a fondness for horror stories, filched from my older sister (the fondness not the stories), led me to try my hand at Stephen King. With retrospect I'm a tad mortified that my twelve year old self read King's [b:Desperation|155519|Desperation|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172260221s/155519.jpg|14015] which features a rotting murderer, all manner of vile degradation, and a weird moment where the male protagonist nearly violates a female character with a small, magical statue — maybe she has a fetish fetish?

Anyway, the only lasting effect starting on Mr King so early seems to have had is that he is now and likely ever will be my most read author, just check out my top 15 most read authors if you don't believe me. Oddly, though, my fondness for his work has never really rippled out to similar authors of genre fiction. I've read no Clive Barker, no Stephen Laws; the only Peter Straub I've read are the Jack Sawyer duology (Diology? Dyology? Biology? No, not biology.) that he wrote with Stephen King. Indeed, about the only similar author I've read anything by is Dean Koontz, for I borrowed a copy of [b:Fear Nothing|32432|Fear Nothing (Moonlight Bay, #1)|Dean Koontz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312596322s/32432.jpg|2880211] about a decade ago. Sadly I recall nothing about it, I'm not even sure whether I finished it or not. That should probably have given me pause, but I'm such a reckless bedlamite that I decided to read another of Koontz's stories anyway, and Odd Thomas was the lucky book.

Unless you practice an extreme form of the delayed gratification exercised by one of the book's likeable and well-drawn characters, you'll have noticed by now that I gave the book four stars. So, in the parlance of the star-bar's alt-text, I really liked the book, even though it wasn't quite amazing. Almost the entirety of the story takes place over a little more than twenty four hours, but there's plenty of story to fill out the time and a nice level of foreshadowing which only occasionally feels a little repetitive. And importantly, the fact that the eponymous narrator and protagonist is thoroughly enjoyable company let me enjoy and be thrilled by this enjoyable thriller, rather than wishing it had been told in the third person. Within the story, Odd Thomas had won a writing competition some years earlier, and is writing the book as some kind of therapy to deal with the events described within. Artifice though that is, I could believe the character winning such a competition.

With books like this, I suppose the real measure of the pudding is whether I'll come back and read the rest of the series. I'd like to say yes, but I've realised most of my reviews end with "I'll be sure to read more of this author/series!" which may be somewhat disingenuous. So no promises, Dean or Odd, but I'll definitely consider it. ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Cherie vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unearned suffering is redemptive.

---Martin Luther King, Jr.
Look at those hands, Oh God, those hands toiled to raise me.

---Elvis Presley at his mother's casket
This book is for Trixie, though she will never read it. On the most difficult days at the keyboard, when I despaired, she could always make me laugh. The words good dog are inadequate in her case. She is a good heart and a kind soul, and an angel on four feet.
Waking, I heard a warm wind strumming the loose screen at the open window, and I thought Stormy, but it was not.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,372,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible