Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop…

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe / Welcome to the World, Baby… (original 1987; edition 2005)

by Fannie Flagg

6,255126644 (4.12)1 / 310
Member:KarenSkullerud
Title:Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe / Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!
Authors:Fannie Flagg
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Edition: 2 Bks in 1, Paperback, 928 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:FIC, South, Depression-era friendship; Birmingham, Alabama

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (1987)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (Yells)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)

English (116)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All (125)
Lonely Evelyn befriends elderly Ninny who reminisces about the people she knew and loved in Whistle Stop, Alabama during the Depression. He stories are supplemented by excerpts from the Weems Weekly, a weekly newsletter written by Dot Weems of the Post Office in Whistle Stop, and by third-person narrative that allows the reader to see a bit more than Ninny may have been aware of in Whistle Stop. Ninny’s tales mostly follow the exploits of Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamison. Idgie was a tomboy who loved practical jokes and telling tall tales. She helped people out whenever she could and loved Ruth with all her heart. Ruth and Idgie opened up the Whistle Stop Café after Ruth left her husband in Georgia. The two of them raised Ruth’s son Stump together and were well-loved by the entire town. Meanwhile in the present, Evelyn rises out of her depression through her friendship with Ninny.
I saw the movie 15-20 years ago and vaguely remember enjoying it, but very little else. And that’s good, because this story has a couple of mysteries and I was surprised by both. Who killed Frank Bennett? (I had this one narrowed down to three characters and turned out to be completely wrong. It was great.) Who is Railroad Bill, who throws canned food and goods from the train for the poor black folks in Troutville during the Depression? Troutville characters also play a large part in the book. Sipsey and her son Big George both cook at the café and the story follows Big George’s children as well, especially Artis Peavey.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It’s funny and heartfelt, and it’s clear how much love Flagg had for these characters. Since it’s been such a long time, I think I’ll rewatch the movie soon. ( )
  Jessiqa | Jun 12, 2017 |
This book for me is a solid 4.5 stars.

I am so glad that I found this book at the library and decided to read it.

I adored Mrs Threadgoode and all of the characters of Whistle Stop. I loved watching Evelyn grow into a stronger woman and develop a lot more confidence in herself as the story went along.

How the people stood together, stuck up for one another: black and white alike. Even stood up against the KKK!

But of the whole story, my favorites of course were Mrs. Threadgoode, Dot Weems, Sipsey & Idgie! Like I said, I loved them all, but those were my top favorites! The only reason I only gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars was because there were some parts of the book I got kind of bored with. There were some stories that she talked about some people that just didn't really interest me but I am glad she put it in there still because I would have wondered what ever happened to many of them.

The ending had it's sadness and I hated to see some things end, but, there is one part at the end that will have you smiling and so happy! I just couldn't help but smile at the last couple of pages.

The love that all the characters had for each other was just amazing. Even for the time it was set in most of the story, and to see the love many whites had for their black friends and how they took up for each other in so many ways. How, even during the tough times, they were willing to still give to each other whenever they could.

This book is just about the love of family, friends and friends who become each others families!

There isn't a whole lot I can say without giving away too many spoilers for those who haven't read the book or seen the movie. I just enjoyed this little town called Whistle Stop, Alabama and it's cafe that was the center of their little world! It had me wanting to find a small little town with that same amount of love some where! (Just without all the racism of course! lol) ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
I love this movie so I was excited to read the book. The book, of course, is better than the movie. I am glad that I saw the movie first, though, because it prepared me for the shifts in time the book used. The book skipped around more in time, but I understood the purpose so it didn't confuse me as much as it could have. The book was better because the characters had so much more to them in the book. They were very multi-dimensional and the book did not limit itself to the social constraints of the time in the way the movie did. Definitely an enchanting read. ( )
  jguidry | Apr 9, 2017 |
Really entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading some others of hers. I've already purchased her new one!! ( )
  gail616 | Jan 3, 2017 |
A simple, heartwarming story with some profound messages about life and love.
An amazing read. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Fannie Flaggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Langotsky, LillyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home, but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having a plate of fried green tomatoes. - Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

no description

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

Elderly Mrs. Threadgoode relates the story of her life and of her best friend, Ruth, who ran the Whistle Stop Cafe in Alabama in the thirties.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,219,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible