Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop…

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe / Welcome to the World, Baby… (original 1987; edition 2005)

by Fannie Flagg

5,600106766 (4.12)1 / 278
Member:KarenSkullerud
Title:Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe / Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!
Authors:Fannie Flagg
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Edition: 2 Bks in 1, Paperback, 928 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:FIC, South, Depression-era friendship; Birmingham, Alabama

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (1987)

Recently added bysunster09, lbebernes, John_H, private library, tidic, EagleWoman123, alcoldwell, aputel, katzplanet
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons (shesinplainview)
    shesinplainview: In both books two women become close, one provides protection for the other from an abusive husband.
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (bucketyell)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)

English (96)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (105)
I do remember liking this a lot, and wanting more by this author, and then not being overly thrilled with the other stuff I've tried by her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was a really entertaining read. Flagg jumps between the story of Idgie Threadgoode, her partner Ruth, and all of their family and friends in Whistle Stop, Alabama in the 20s - 50s and Evelyn Couch, a middle-aged overweight woman who is having her midlife crisis, and her growing relationship with Ninny Threadgode, Idgie's sister-in-law. Evelyn and Ninny meet in the late 80s at a nursing home in Birmingham, and Ninny tells Evelyn the story of Whistle Stop and its inhabitants, while at the same time empowering Evelyn to find her voice, and her happiness. While the nonlinear storytelling takes some getting used to, I ended up really enjoying it, because a lot of the time I would hear about an event in passing, then get the whole story a little later.

My favorite sections were the ones in Whistle Stop. Each character has their own fun personality, and Flagg does not shy away form depicting the horrible racism that was prevalent during that time (while also drawing interesting parallels during the "present" sections). What I didn't really understand, though, was why everyone in this little Southern town seemed to not care that Idgie and Ruth were in a lesbian relationship. I suppose that, because it was such a small town, and Idgie and Ruth were so well known and loved, that people didn't care. Anyway, I am glad that wasn't a problem, because everyone else seemed to have enough to deal with. Flagg herself grew up in a small town in Alabama, so a lot of this book is taken from her own experiences.

I loved that Flagg included Sipsey's recipes in the back of the book. Southern cooking is so delicious! Now I have a desire to eat fried green tomatoes... ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Jan 23, 2015 |
one of my favorites. ( )
  mindyshalleck | Oct 29, 2014 |
This book for me is a solid 4.5 stars.

I am so glad that I found this book at the library and decided to read it.

I adored Mrs Threadgoode and all of the characters of Whistle Stop. I loved watching Evelyn grow into a stronger woman and develop a lot more confidence in herself as the story went along.

How the people stood together, stuck up for one another: black and white alike. Even stood up against the KKK!

But of the whole story, my favorites of course were Mrs. Threadgoode, Dot Weems, Sipsey & Idgie! Like I said, I loved them all, but those were my top favorites! The only reason I only gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars was because there were some parts of the book I got kind of bored with. There were some stories that she talked about some people that just didn't really interest me but I am glad she put it in there still because I would have wondered what ever happened to many of them.

The ending had it's sadness and I hated to see some things end, but, there is one part at the end that will have you smiling and so happy! I just couldn't help but smile at the last couple of pages.

The love that all the characters had for each other was just amazing. Even for the time it was set in most of the story, and to see the love many whites had for their black friends and how they took up for each other in so many ways. How, even during the tough times, they were willing to still give to each other whenever they could.

This book is just about the love of family, friends and friends who become each others families!

There isn't a whole lot I can say without giving away too many spoilers for those who haven't read the book or seen the movie. I just enjoyed this little town called Whistle Stop, Alabama and it's cafe that was the center of their little world! It had me wanting to find a small little town with that same amount of love some where! (Just without all the racism of course! lol) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
'The cafe...funny how a little knockabout place like that brought so many people together', June 19, 2014

This review is from: Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe (Kindle Edition)
Evelyn Couch is a depressed overweight woman in her 50s. This novel follows her progress as she visits an elderly woman in a nursing home. The reminiscences of the latter of Alabama life in the 1930s, the poverty and racism but simultaneously the sense of community, become vivid to her:

'Lately, to get her mind off that cold gun and pulling the trigger, she would close her eyes and force herself to hear Mrs Threadgoode's voice and if she breathed deep and concentrated she would soon see herself in Whistle Stop. She would walk down the street and go in Opal's beauty shop...After a comb-out she would stop by to visit with Dot weems at the post office and then on to the cafe where she could see everyone so clearly...She would order lunch and Wilbur Weems and Grady Kilgore would wave to her...Everyone would ask her how she was and the sun was always shining and there would always be a tomorrow.'

This is a novel of two strands: on the one hand Evelyn, but also events in 1930s Whistle Stop, most notably a murder mystery...
I feared this book might be cloyingly sentimental, but it's actually really touching and enjoyable. ( )
  starbox | Jun 19, 2014 |

Fannie Flaggprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home, but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having a plate of fried green tomatoes. - Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

no description

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:10 -0400)

Elderly Mrs. Threadgoode relates the story of her life and of her best friend, Ruth, who ran the Whistle Stop Cafe in Alabama in the thirties.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,254,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible