My Life with the Wave by Catherine Cowan

My Life with the Wave

by Catherine Cowan

Other authors: Mark Buehner (Illustrator), Paz. Octavio (Author)

This was an odd story. I'm not going to lie. But if you can get past the idea of a wave being very "unwavelike" in many respects, then you'll like this book. The wave kind of dances between the friend that never leaves and a wave that acts like waves do, which is kind of a vague way to describe it but it's the best I can come up with. I've never read anything by the original author of this story, but this was fairly enjoyable. The bond between the boy and the wave and the gradual realization that being roommates with a wave just isn't working out are the core of this story. It's fun if you can handle the mind bending premise. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Starts as a good read aloud then gets overly long and poetic. A boy takes a wave home from his trip to the beach, the wave is fun, then moody, then it freezes and the boy and his parents return it to the ocean. Then the boy wants a cloud. ( )
  dangerlibearian | Dec 28, 2010 |
A young boy is on vacation with his parents and decides to bring home a wave from the beach because he had fallen in love with waves. But problems ensure as it's difficult to housebreak a wave. The moon, sun and stars pull the wave around the house and it wrecks havoc splashing all over the boy's home. The boy decides he's had enough and must come up with a plan for the wave, and possibly return it to its home at the beach. Great creativity and terrific illustrations helped make this book rather enjoyable.
  dmgotte | Jul 18, 2010 |
The book is about a boy who brings a wave home. The wave causes a lot of problems. It crashes everything in the house. Eventually, everything gets out of hand, so the boy takes the wave back to the ocean. He still remembers the wave as one of his really good friends.
  cegordon | Apr 16, 2010 |
This is a good picture book about a child and his wave. It goes through the phases of it being happy to a wave having to leave. The pictures are wonderful and an enjoyable read.
  mcprice | Mar 24, 2009 |

Catherine Cowanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buehner, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paz. OctavioAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060562005, Paperback)

My first trip to the seashore,

one wave tore away from the sea.

She caught my hand, and we raced

away together across the sand.

Based on a story by Nobel Prize laureate Octavio Paz, this delightful tale of a boy and his pet wave is charmingly retold with beautiful new illustrations. See if you can find the hidden cat, dog, mouse, whale, and sea horse in almost every picture!

Ages 3 – 8

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:04 -0400)

A child befriends a wave at the seashore and brings her home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,002,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible