Before She Was Harriet

by Lesa Cline-Ransome, James E. Ransome (Illustrator)

A lush and lyrical biography of Harriet Tubman, written in verse. An evocative poem and opulent watercolors come together to honor a woman of humble origins whose courage and compassion make her larger than life.

We know her today as Harriet Tubman, but in her lifetime she was called by many names. As General Tubman she was a Union spy. As Moses she led hundreds to freedom on the Underground Railroad. As Minty she was a slave whose spirit could not be broken. As Araminta she was a young girl whose father showed her the stars and the first steps on the path to freedom. An evocative poem and stunning watercolors come together to honor a woman of humble origins whose courage and compassion make her a larger than life hero.
  wichitafriendsschool | Feb 4, 2023 |
Audie Award for Young Listeners
  Caitfowler | Dec 5, 2022 |
Tells the story of Harriet Tubman before she became who we know her as today in reverse order, General Tubman, Moses, Minty and Araminta. Written in poetry shares how Harriet was a Union spy, led hundreds to freedom, an enslaved woman, and a young girl.
  NikkiMcCulloch | Jul 27, 2022 |
In this book we are shown the life of Harriet Tubman before she did what she became historically famous for. She was a suffagist, a general, a spy, and more. She had many important roles and was a natural leader. I enjoyed the poetry style writing in this book as well as the illustrations. I learned a lot about Harriet Tubman that I didn't know before.
  Cerisenoelle | Jul 10, 2022 |
Independent Reading Level: Grade 4
Awards: Coretta Scott King Book Awards (2018)
  SteviePearce | May 2, 2022 |
This book is a biography about Harriet Tubman before she became the Harriet Tubman we knew. She was involved in a lot while she was on the Earth (really impressive). She was brave and didn't let people get to her in any way.This book would connect with different students or different situations quite easily. Everyone has their own views and opinions on things and I think this would lead into a great conversation. It would empower little girls who may feel small and allow them to realize how much strength they have. That would allow a transactional experience in all.
added by annakatherineward | editthe book, Anna Katherine

Lesa Cline-Ransomeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ransome, James E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, SiSi AishaNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
LaVoy, JanuaryNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pitts, Lisa ReneeNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Media, Live OakPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 188,573,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible