Dean Koontz Life Expectancy Hardback with…

Dean Koontz Life Expectancy Hardback with Dust Cover (edition 2004)

by Dean Koontz (Author)

With his bestselling blend of nail-biting intensity, daring artistry, and storytelling magic, Dean Koontz returns with an emotional roller coaster of a tale filled with enough twists, turns, shocks, and surprises for ten ordinary novels. Here is the story of five days in the life of an ordinary man born to an extraordinary legacy--a story that will challenge the way you look at good and evil, life and death, and everything in between. Jimmy Tock comes into the world on the very night his grandfather leaves it. As a violent storm rages outside the hospital, Rudy Tock spends long hours walking the corridors between the expectant fathers' waiting room and his dying father's bedside. It's a strange vigil made all the stranger when, at the very height of the storm's fury, Josef Tock suddenly sits up in bed and speaks coherently for the frist and last time since his stroke. What he says before he dies is that there will be five dark days in the life of his grandson--five dates whose terrible events Jimmy will have to prepare himself to face. The first is to occur in his twentieth year; the second in his twenty-third year; the third in his twenty-eighth; the fourth in his twenty-ninth; the fifth in his thirtieth. Rudy is all too ready to discount his father's last words as a dying man's delusional rambling. But then he discovers that Josef also predicted the time of his grandson's birth to the minute, as well as his exact height and weight, and the fact that Jimmy would be born with syndactyly--the unexplained anomaly of fused digits--on his left foot. Suddenly the old man's predictions take on a chilling significance. What terrifying events await Jimmy on these five dark days? What nightmares will he face? What challenges must he survive? As the novel unfolds, picking up Jimmy's story at each of these crisis points, the path he must follow will defy every expectation. And with each crisis he faces, he will move closer to a fate he could never have imagined. For who Jimmy Tock is and what he must accomplish on the five days when his world turns is a mystery as dangerous as it is wondrous--a struggle against an evil so dark and pervasive, only the most extraordinary of human spirits can shine through.… (more)
Member:graps
Title:Dean Koontz Life Expectancy Hardback with Dust Cover
Authors:Dean Koontz (Author)
Info:(2004)

Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz

The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott (XR4L5)
    XR4L5: Evil clowns & deranged circus acts!

English (60)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (63)
I love Koontz but this one sort felt like an Odd Thomas light. The protagonist is very similar and even the cast of characters around him have shades of Odd's world to them. Quick, fun read, but felt a bit of a retread. One thing I will say, the older Koontz gets the more "Christiany" his books become, and I don't mind that. ( )
  ReaderWriterRunner | Jul 27, 2021 |
Don’t get me wrong. I, like everyone else, thought Dean Koontz was the poor man’s Stephen King - a second rate hack. And maybe he is since this the first of his I‘ve read, but this book was terrific! Yes, there’s suspense, violence, and an element of the supernatural, but mostly there are extremely well drawn characters, an appealing setting, and humor! I love a quirky novel, and this one is quirky in spades. There’s also just the right amount of “wow didn’t see THAT coming” which I also like. Seriously, I am so glad I picked this one out on a whim, though I don’t yet know if any of his other books are this charming. Loved it. It contains multitudes. Prepare to be enchanted.
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
very good book, good plot, always keeps you wondering ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
Definitely has an unexpected twist. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
I always enjoy reading Dean Koontz because he knows how to put humor, action, mystery, and even romance in a book and make it work so well!

Most of his books I've read definitely fall into the thriller category, I wouldn't put this one there. This book would probably be more like a mystery if I had to put it in a genre.

The entire story is about this one guy, Jimmy, who has 5 dates in his life predicted to be bad. We get to follow along and find out exactly what happens and how everyone copes with all of the circumstances.

Mixed in is a bunch of action and comedic relief, along with some very happy moments as well. I truly enjoyed the mixture of emotions. I would have rated it higher, but sometimes the comedy almost felt forced in. However, most of it worked really well with the book! ( )
  Yodareads12 | Nov 30, 2020 |

Koontz, Deanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lloyd, John BedfordNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But he that dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose. -Anne Bronte, "The Narrow Way"
Here's a sigh to those who love me, And a smile to those who hate; And, whatever sky's above me, Here's a heart for every fate. -Lord Byron, "To Thomas Moore"
To Laura Albano, who has such a good heart. Strange brain, but good heart.
On the night that I was born, my paternal grandfather, Josef Tock, made ten predictions that shaped my life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,388,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible