The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling by…

The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (original 1979; edition 2005)

by Lawrence Block

Title:The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling
Authors:Lawrence Block
Info:HarperTorch (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery, bernie rhodenbarr

The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling by Lawrence Block (1979)

This is my first venture into the world of Bernie Rhodenbarr
It started off well Bernie is a reformed burglar who owns a 2nd hand book shop in New York. He isn't that reformed as he agrees to steal a very rare book of poems written by Rudyard Kipling.
He is then framed for murder and with the help of his lesbian friend Carolyn sets about clearing his name and finding the real killer.

I will stick to Matt Scudder novels. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Sep 25, 2015 |
I'm not going to rate this because I didn't finish it. This is the 3d in the series & I knew what was going to happen before it did. It's not really any different than either of the other 2 books. Too similar to bother listening to now. Maybe in a year or two...
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Just goes to show that you can't help but be in the wrong place at the wrong time if you persist in being a burglar! This time around Bernie is unwittingly involved in a fraudulent rare book scheme. He uses his powers of deduction, along with the help of another adoring girl, to solve the crime. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 8, 2013 |
It was the first Block book I have read, and the second story from him (the first one was a short story). I love the dialogue in this book. It's not my usual genre but I was entertained 100%.
  jaypee | Aug 3, 2011 |
I like the Burglar series a lot: the books are fun, and burglar Bernie is a very nice man, albeit with this one small fault of loving being a burglar, and a bit silly too: we see the problems coming from way off, he just stumbles along until he finds himself in such a pickle that he really has to start thinking. Perfect books for recovering after a bad day at the office. ” ( )
  mojacobs | Jul 5, 2011 |

Lawrence Blockprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bocchino, Maria LuisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daly, GerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Cheryl Morrison
I suppose he must have been in his early twenties

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060731257, Mass Market Paperback)

Bernie Rhodenbarr has gone legit -- almost -- as the new owner of a used bookstore in New York's Greenwich Village. Of course, dusty old tomes don't always turn a profit, so to make ends meet, Bernie's forced, on occasion, to indulge in his previous occupation: burglary. Besides which, he likes it.

Now a collector is offering Bernie an opportunity to combine his twin passions by stealing a very rare and very bad book-length poem from a rich man's library.

The heist goes off without a hitch. The delivery of the ill-gotten volume, however, is a different story. Drugged by the client's female go-between, Bernie wakes up in her apartment to find the book gone, the lady dead, a smoking gun in his hand, and the cops at the door. And suddenly he's got to extricate himself from a rather sticky real-life murder mystery and find a killer -- before he's booked for Murder One.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:54 -0400)

Trying to go legit, Bernie has taken over a secondhand bookstore in Greenwich Village, but he still can't resist stealing things when the rewards are right.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible