Miss Julia Hits the Road (2003)

by Ann B. Ross

Series: Miss Julia (4)

Miss Julia -- that proper lady of a certain age with a backbone of iron and perfect Steel Magnolia poise, not to mention the sharpest tongue south of the Mason-Dixon Line--always likes to nip any little problems in the bud. Not this time. Miss Julia is increasingly concerned about her gentleman friend, Sam, who has suddenly started wearing cowboy boots, sending flowers, and writing bad poetry. When he shows up on a Harley-Davidson one day, she's convinced he's lost his mind-or at the very least wrestling with a particularly intense midlife crisis. Meanwhile Miss Julia's invaluable housekeeper, Lillian, and all her neighbors have been evicted from their homes by their greedy landlord, who has bigger plans for the property. So off Miss Julia rides on a motocycle fund raiser to save Lillian and her friends' homes. Hitting a few bumps on the way, Miss Julia still manages to maintain her impeccable manners and her irresistible charm.… (more)

Between Miss Julia and Mrs. Pollifax, I think I could look forward to being an old woman. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
Book number four in the popular series starring Miss Julia, a widow of a certain age. This time she gets her hackles up when she learns that a local slumlord is evicting all the poor African-American tenants, so he can demolish the homes and build a water bottling plant on the land. Miss Julia’s housekeeper, Lillian, is one of those tenants and she decides she will find a way to save the properties.

I just love Miss Julia, who frequently gets embroiled in one scandal / scheme or another when she jumps to conclusions and/or fails to fully understand the implications of what she’s been told. But her heart is always in the right place. This time the big fund-raising effort centers on a motorcycle race, and one donor challenges Miss Julia and “other refined, quality women over age fifty” to ride along as a condition of a major donation. What’s a lady to do?!

Miss Julia is just a hoot, and I was laughing aloud at several scenes.

There are two subplots involving Hazel Marie and Mr Pickens, and Binkie and Deputy Coleman. I think the books can be enjoyed as stand-alone novels, but readers probably should start from the beginning to fully appreciate the relationships between the full cast of recurring characters.

NOTE This is a re-read for me, but I first read it long before I joined Goodreads or Shelfari, so I don’t have the date recorded. I’m guessing it was shortly after this book was published. As I recall, I read the first book (Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind) and pretty quickly picked up the next two or three in the series. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 10, 2017 |
Miss Julia on a motorcycle. For fans there is no bigger chuckle. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jun 30, 2016 |
Still fun ... she's a character.
The books are fun and I'm planning to keep reading the series ... tho' not back-to-back. ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
More of the irrespressible Miss Julia and her friends. This time they take on a land developer who throws Lillian and her neighbors out of their homes to build a bottling facility for a spring of water of amazing repute. Fun, funny and heartwarming despite itself. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

For Pamela Dorman and Susan Hans O'Connor
They don't come any better.
Pushing through the swinging door from the dining room, I started talking before I got into the kitchen good.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,754,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible