The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by…

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper (edition 2002)

by Philip Sugden

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The Complete History of Jack the Ripper
Authors:Philip Sugden
Info:Da Capo Press (2002), Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Your library, The Critical Times
Tags:History, Documentary, True Crime, Victorian

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden

This is complete resource for those that follow the Jack the Ripper murders.The author give complete details of the crimes and even photos (some are quite gruesome).This is the first crime where photos were used as part of the investigation.The author gives a background of each victim,this telling their story. These women were not just "hookers", they are family women and women struggling to survive in harsh times. He also explains,in depth abt the investigations. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the Whitechapel murders and Jack the Ripper. The author sticks to the facts, which is essential in this kind of book. There is a lot of misinformation out there, but this book seems very scholarly and trustworthy.

This book is very detailed, and thus has very detailed descriptions. I have the ebook version, which doesn't include illustrations or photographs. That's probably a good thing, because I accidentally saw the murder scene photos on the internet and they are not nice to look at. At least they were poor quality black-and-white photos... ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Love this book!!! Sugden really impresses by using primary sources and not newspaper accounts or a policeman's musings 30 years later. N.B. Don't read before going to bed! ( )
1 vote sslepski | Oct 22, 2010 |
I had to stop reading during lunch break because I couldn't stomach the descriptions of the mutilations. The book is quite a heavy tome on the Whitechapel murders. The only other Jack the Ripper book I read was Patricia Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5216258).

This book was much better researched, going back to original police records as opposed to newspaper stories. He argues consitently and quite convincingly for certain suspects and against other suspects, and most importantly, against various conspiracy theories.

I can't get my head around the fact that there are several periodicals on the topic of Jack the Ripper coming up with new findings all the time. But still the Ripper hasn't been identified. ( )
1 vote verenka | Aug 31, 2009 |
If you are interested in Jack the Ripper but don't have the time to wade through all the material on him, just read this book. It's a comprehensive study of the Ripper murders and the best book written on the subject, in my opinion. Sugden is one of the few Ripperologists who is also a trained historian, and he puts his skills to good work here, dissecting the available evidence. Also, unlike many other Ripper writers, he's not trying to propogate one "solution" theory or another -- he simply presents the facts and lets the reader make up their mind. This is top-of-the-line history, as good as it gets. ( )
1 vote meggyweg | Mar 6, 2009 |

Adding more new material for his Complete History of Jack the Ripper, crime writer and historian Philip Sugden already has painstakingly uncovered much new and hitherto neglected material, including a new Ripper sighting, a possible earlier assault, and a potential American connection. As noted Ripperologist Dan Farson observes, "This is indeed the ‘definitive account'," for armchair sleuths of the White Chapel Horrors and all true crime aficionados. "A meticulous and reasoned profile for readers and future detectives."—Kirkus Reviews "The charm of well written history about a character of almost mythical standing."—Daily Telegraph (London)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:02 -0400)

A comprehensive account of London's celebrated East End killer, revised and updated. The murders in London between 1888-91 attributed to Jack the Ripper constitute one of the most mysterious unsolved criminal cases. This story is the result of many years meticulous research. The author reassesses all the evidence and challenges everything we thought we knew about the Victorian serial killer and the vanished East End he terrorized.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,605,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible