"The latest novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Philippa Gregory features one of the most famous girls in history, Lady Jane Grey, and her two sisters, each of whom dared to defy her queen. Seventeen-year-old Jane Grey was queen of England for nine days. Her father and his allies crowned her instead of the dead king's half-sister Mary Tudor, who quickly mustered an army, claimed her throne, and locked Jane in the Tower of London. When Jane refused to betray her Protestant faith, Mary sent her to the executioner's block, where Jane transformed her father's greedy power-grab into tragic martyrdom. "Learn you to die," was the advice Jane wrote to her younger sister Katherine, who has no intention of dying. She intends to enjoy her beauty and her youth and fall in love. But she is heir to the insecure and infertile Queen Mary and then to her sister Queen Elizabeth, who will never allow Katherine to marry and produce a Tudor son. When Katherine's pregnancy betrays her secret marriage she faces imprisonment in the Tower, only yards from her sister's scaffold. "Farewell, my sister," writes Katherine to the youngest Grey sister, Mary. A beautiful dwarf, disregarded by the court, Mary keeps family secrets, especially her own, while avoiding Elizabeth's suspicious glare. After seeing her sisters defy the queen, Mary is acutely aware of her own danger, but determined to command her own life. What will happen when the last Tudor defies her ruthless and unforgiving cousin Queen Elizabeth?"--… (more)

I enjoyed the book but not my favorite of Philippa Gregory. I will say this her writing style in this story really makes you feel the length and frustration of what Katherine and Mary went through. A very good read. ( )
  ChrisCaz | Feb 23, 2021 |
This was mostly a miss for me. I didn't like the first 2 narrator's and the 3rd narrator had the least amount of narration.
Also Gregory says this is her last book set during this time period. She doesn't say what new time period she'll be writing in. I'll miss this series, even the misses were interesting. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
NEVER thought I would like this book. I'm not a fan of English Monarchy - I'm not well versed in it... but I LOVED her writing!! I may go back and start at #1!
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
Reminds me of The other Queen: three voices repeating themselves over and over and over and over...

She’s made Jane Grey an insufferably prideful little snot. Katherine can’t wrap her head around why she’s not going to get her way. Mary should have known better after what happened to her sister.

And, as always, Elizabeth is all vile things all the time, a nasty, ugly old woman by the time she’s all of 31 years old.

Next time I want to read a Philippa Gregory book, I should remember it would be less painful if I were to smash my thumb with a hammer.
  KaterinaBead | Apr 4, 2019 |
I guess no novel based on the tragic lives of Lady Jane Grey and her two sisters could be anything but gripping.

Narrated in three sections by each girl in turn, this begins with the author's perhaps least successful creation of the three - Lady Jane is an insufferable prig, and not entirely convincing because of it. Her swift and inexplicable turning from horrified refusal at accepting the crown to a fiercesome determination that it is right to do so also confuses. Nonetheless her time in the Tower awaiting her end is well described, watching the body of her executed husband carted off, knowing she is next...

Middle sister Katherine is Jane's complete opposite, preoccupied with the frivolities of life.Now in the bizarre situation of being returned to Queen Mary's court (with her younger sister) as maids..."constant companions of the queen who executed my sister and my father", she soon falls in love with nobleman Ned Seymour. But as the capricious Elizabeth I takes the throne, they realize they must marry in secret...the ensuing revelation means they (and their sons) are seized and imprisoned for years. Fear of another claim to the throne? Sheer cruelty? As Mary Queen of Scots' escapades are revealed, the constant hope that the unmarried Elizabeth will appoint the Protestant Greys as her heirs and release them is endlessly roused and dashed...

And youngest sister, Mary, tiny, perhaps the most likeable, also finally marries for love...the tall sergeant Thomas Keyes. It all seemed terribly ill-judged, given Katherine's fate; despite Keyes' humble background, which might seem less dangerous than that of a lord, they too are separated, the husband dying shortly after release from a lengthy spell in a 'very small cell' in the Fleet prison.

Elizabeth I comes out of this with more in common with the tantrumming character on 'Blackadder' than the fearless monarch. The meaningless imprisonment of these individuals, the ruined lives, certainly show another facet to the queen's character.
Not great literature but very very readable and informative! ( )
  starbox | Jan 26, 2019 |
For my sister
I love my father because I know that he will never die.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,414,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible