Who Wants Candy? by Jane Sharrock

Who Wants Candy? (edition 2004)

by Jane Sharrock

Third-generation candy-maker Jane Sharrock shares here some 400 recipes for mouth-watering candies, chocolates, pralines, crèmes, fudges, cookies, toffee, and holiday treats. This step-by-step candy bible covers everything from the traditional to the exotic. Complete with instructional chapters on the basics of candymaking, it deserves a place on every cookbook shelf. This collection features such irresistable treats as: Marry Me Toffee e Pistol Pete's Peanut Brittle e Grace's Walnut Butter Fudge e Cherry Almond Bark e Panache Penuche e Raspberry-Fudge Truffles e and something called Aunt Bill's Brown Candy... Plus: e No-bake cookies e Practical and fascinating information about ingredients and candy chemistry e Dipping candies in chocolate e A basic candy glossary… (more)
Member:bethamy
Title:Who Wants Candy?
Authors:Jane Sharrock
Info:HP Trade (2004), Paperback, 256 pages

Who Wants Candy? by Jane Sharrock

I found this particular recipe book to be overwhelming. There are pages and pages of nearly identical recipes, which is not at all what I look for in a cookbook. I'd rather find one really good fudge recipe instead of thirty very similar fudge recipes. I was bored with the repetition and unable to bestir myself to choose. The recipes were also pretty regional- a great many being drawn from the author's local newspaper archives. Disappointing. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I loved this book! I have yet to find a recipe that doesn't work. It's so nice to find a cookbook where the author has taken the time to make sure that every recipe is so foolproof.

Make sure you follow her advice about using an aluminum (not stainless steel) pot designated just for making candy and a candy thermometer and you can't go wrong. Yes, a good pot is a major expense but the difference is unbelievable. I really don't think I could ever burn or scald something again. Sharrock was right.

Little vignettes sprinkled through the book and the histories of each recipe adds a special character to the book that makes this book a fun read too. It's particularly good reading if you're like me and never even thought about making your own candy before... but have a major sweet tooth and like to know the history of food.

This book is now one of my top 5 favourite cookbooks!
  LaurieLibrarian | May 6, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,175,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible