Kitty Peck and the Daughter of Sorrow

by Kate Griffin

Series: Kitty Peck (3)

1331,533,214 (3.5)None
Summer 1881: the streets of Limehouse are thick with opium... and menace. At eighteen Kitty Peck has inherited Paradise, a sprawling criminal empire on the banks of the Thames. Determined to do things differently to her fearsome grandmother, she now realises that the past casts a long and treacherous shadow. Haunted by a terrible secret and stalked by a criminal cabal intent on humiliation and destruction, Kitty must fight for the future of everyone she cares for...… (more)

Now we're cooking with gas! Book two was a bit too much for me, with double identities and royal Russian babies galore, but I enjoyed Kitty's rise from the ashes - or the shit, as she might say - in the third instalment. The Barons are the usual evil toffs, in the style of Dan Brown does Dickens, so I'm excited to read the final story in the series and hope they get what's coming to them. Bonus points too for the 'hidden history' titbits, like the Temple Church with its creepy effigies! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | May 3, 2023 |
This is the third mystery in this series set in the seedy underworld of the Victorian East End of London. It's been three years since I read the previous one in the series, as I think their very downbeat and gloomy atmosphere was not something I wanted to imbibe during COVID. I found this one overlong and, as with its predecessors, rather meandering and over-dependent on emphasising the sordid aspects, somewhat at the expense of the flow of the narrative. The plot revolves around Kitty Peck, now called Lady Linnet, trying to expose the secrets of the Barons who secretly run London society. I will read the fourth in the series, but am not especially looking forward to it. ( )
  john257hopper | Nov 9, 2022 |
1881 and London is sweltering in the hot summer heat. Kitty Peck is trying to make a go of running The Paradise, the huge empire of trade in the Docklands that she has inherited from her grandmother, Lady Ginger. However Kitty is struggling and haunted my memories of her trial to enter 'The Barons', a taste for opium is her only solace. The aftermath of the burning of The Gaudy haunts her and with only one hall operational Kitty is frustrated. However Kitty is being harassed, filthy pictures of her appear on walls around The Paradise and The Barons are intend on finding her brother. As her grandmother reaches the end of her life, there is still more about The Paradise that Kitty needs to learn.

Not having read the first two books in the series was quite a handicap for me in tackling this instalment. It is to Griffin's credit that she doesn't spend vast tracts of the novel rehashing the plots of the previous books and there was definitely enough information to enable me to pick up the gist of the story so far. The handicap was more that I was enjoying the story and the characters created and it made me want to start the series from the beginning. This is escapist popular fiction with a historical setting but it doesn't purport to be history, just a rollicking good tale set in a particular time and place. Kitty is a flawed heroine and the plot is as twisty as one could want. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Aug 23, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,387,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible