The Kalahari Typing School for Men by…

The Kalahari Typing School for Men (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Alexander McCall Smith

After the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is firmly established, founder Precious Ramotswe faces new challenges at home and at work, from problems with her adopted son to an assistant who dreams of opening a typing school for men.
Member:Killeymoon
Title:The Kalahari Typing School for Men
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Abacus (2004), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Detective, Botswana, British Fiction - 21st Century

The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith (2002)

English (88)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (92)
Another good addition to The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency though a bit choppy compared to the others.

A competing detective agency opens in Botswana run by a misogynistic egotistic blowhard distressing Ramotswe and Makutsi.

A client asks Ramotswe to assist him in making amends for an old wrongdoing. Makutsi starts her own small business and finds romance. Once again Ramotswe consults with the wise and kind-hearted Potokwani and receives insightful advice.

Good quick read.
  Bookish59 | Feb 28, 2019 |
Oh god, the racial stereotyping, it burns! Yes, we get it, all African women are solid mother figures, all African men are either shiftless good for nothings or sheep like "good" men to be manipulated and molded. Screw it. I've been meaning to read one of these for years just to see what the fuss was all about, should not have bothered... BTW, did you know that the author is also a reasonably accomplished bioethicist? ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
Mostly light, with a bit of melancholy wafting about. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books make perfect reading on tired evenings -- they're pleasant and fun to read, but they don't keep me up at night. I especially enjoy the bits about Botswanian culture that are worked in. ( )
  LizoksBooks | Dec 15, 2018 |
Mma Makutsi decides to start a new venture that utilizes her secretarial school training while Mma Ramotswe handles a number of cases at the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I read this book quite some time ago, but I very much enjoyed the early books in this series (particularly before they started becoming overly redundant). The characters are interesting to read about and the mysteries are satisfying. A nice cozy read for when you want something on the lighter side. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
In this fourth entry in the series the cases brought to the agency have to do with deception, that, and a guilty conscience caused by an act of deception from the past. And, as often happens, it just takes a few social calls and several well-placed nudges to get things to work themselves out. I believe I caught the author making a cameo appearance there near the end in the photograph Mma Ramotswe saw while on a visit to a friend. When she said, ‘It seems that he is looking at me,’...’He is smiling at me,’ I found myself smiling too. ( )
  wandaly | Aug 5, 2018 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bertola, StefaniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kern, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Amy Moore, Florence Christie, and Elaine Gadd.
I must remember, thought Mma Ramotswe, how fortunate I am in this life; at every moment, but especially now, sitting on the verandah of my house on Zebra Drive, and looking up at the high sky of Botswanna, so empty that the blue is almost white.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,513,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible