Binti: The Night Masquerade (Binti, 3) by…

Binti: The Night Masquerade (Binti, 3) (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Nnedi Okorafor (Author)

Series: Binti (3)

The concluding part of the highly-acclaimed science fiction trilogy that began with Nnedi Okorafor's Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning BINTI. Binti has returned to her home planet, believing that the violence of the Meduse has been left behind. Unfortunately, although her people are peaceful on the whole, the same cannot be said for the Khoush, who fan the flames of their ancient rivalry with the Meduse. Far from her village when the conflicts start, Binti hurries home, but anger and resentment has already claimed the lives of many close to her. Once again it is up to Binti, and her intriguing new friend Mwinyi, to intervene-though the elders of her people do not entirely trust her motives-and try to prevent a war that could wipe out her people, once and for all. Don't miss this essential concluding volume in the Binti trilogy. At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.… (more)
Member:TheGalaxyGirl
Title:Binti: The Night Masquerade (Binti, 3)
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2018), 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction

Work Information

Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor (2018)

I don't know about this one. I enjoyed Binti's character, and the imaginative events surrounding her, but for me the pacing was off. It was one fantastical thing after another. I felt like I was in a car, racing across an alien landscape, wanting to stop and get out and explore but too late, it's on to the next thing. This should have been a novel, not a novella. ( )
  TheGalaxyGirl | Jun 18, 2024 |
I absolutely adored this trilogy! ( )
  tootall77hc | May 9, 2024 |
A fitting end to the series. I really loved Binti and her world. Thank goodness I have more Nnedi to put on my Kindle with the 2nd Akata book. ( )
  jazzbird61 | Feb 29, 2024 |
This third book in Okorafor’s Binti series brings the story of the eponymous character to a close. In this final chapter, Binti comes to know her diverse genetic selves in ways that defy her own understanding. Even among her father’s people, she outshines in aptitude and ability, giving a whole new definition to the meaning of harmonizer. Throughout the experience, she stays true to her many selves, but most of all to her family heritage. ( )
  johnxlibris | Jan 15, 2024 |
A reread for my book club :)

A very fitting conclusion to the trilogy. I do like the things Nnedi Okorafor does with her imagination! This world has expanded – beginning in the second installment, and continuing here. I would have loved to explore it even more – the living spaceships, different kinds of harmonisers, more about zinariya, etc etc etc.

I am not sure how to feel about Okwu – now we have its friendship with Binti (very cute), some comic relief (being too happy must be bad for everyone), and general Meduse superpowers stuff. There is some focus on things that had happened in the first book, but it wasn’t satisfying, imo.

In all honesty, there is too much plot for the number of pages, but I flew through them with pleasure. Binti’s journey is a delight – coming to terms with her powers, who she really is, questioning things she had been taught. What I loved most about this story was Binti being awesome, powerful, curious, courageous, her “magic” going wild. The trope of characters coming back from the dead is really not my favourite, but I am not complaining that it happened. Also, Binti deciding not to contact her family immediately to tell them “hello, I am not dead, and I thought you were all dead, so let’s all stop grieving and be happy” because they have too much to do… was very very weird.

Who doesn’t love a happy ending, though?

*4.5 stars on this reread, rounded up. ( )
  Alexandra_book_life | Dec 15, 2023 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Binti (3)
Dedicated to those who aren't supposed to see the Night Masquerade, but see it anyway. May you have the courage to answer the Call to Adventure.
It started with a nightmare...

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,806,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible