The Taking by Dean Koontz

The Taking (edition 2005)

by Dean Koontz

Molly and Niel Sloan awake to see golden rain falling. In their remote California mountain town, they learn from their television of enormous waterspouts and blizzards around the globe; then, the television ceases, as do all other forms of communication with the outside world. The Sloans are left, together with their neighbors, in the midst of a purple fog, disturbed by a threat they cannot identify or understand. Together they discover that the world is being prepared for beings other than themselves--beings with vast technological powers at their disposal, who will stop at nothing to hunt them down and kill them all.… (more)
Member:crowweaver
Title:The Taking
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

The Taking by Dean Koontz

The Conqueror Worms by Brian Keene (beadzombie)
    beadzombie: Another apocalyptic book with a similar premise. Worth a read for sure if you even mildly enjoyed The Taking by Koontz.

English (62)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (64)
I've enjoyed a lot of Koontz books. This is not one of them. It was a chore to get through, and the story did little for me. The writing was terrible. It was repetitious and seemed like it was written by a high school student trying to impress a teacher with their vocabulary. I ran into a number of words I didn't recognize, and neither did the Kindle dictionary. ( )
  OgreZed | Sep 15, 2020 |
Sometimes the forest appeared to her as a green cathedral. The massive pine trunks were columns in a vast nave, and the spreading boughs formed groin vaults and fan vaults high overhead.
Now, with the reverential hush of the woods replaced by the din of the downpour, the gloom coiling among the trees seemed to be of a different character from that on any previous night. The god of this cathedral was the lord of darkness.

It starts with strangely luminous rain, reports of massive waterspouts sinking ships, and an attack on the International Space Station. But is this an alien invasion or something supernatural?

Most of the way through I was thinking I would give it 3 stars, but I liked the ending more than I thought I would, so I am giving it 3.5 stars. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 5, 2020 |
I just couldn't get into this. The characters are so morally smug that it is really hard for me to sympathize with them. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
4.5/5
Go to Confessions of a Book Freak for my thoughts ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
This was my very first Dean Koontz book and I have to say I'm very impressed. I can easily see why Dean is such a popular author.

This was the first book in a very very very long time that I have enjoyed this much. Best book I've read for a least 2 years. It's very suspenseful. You know there is something out there but your not really for sure what that just might be. You really don't find out what is truly hunting them until the last few Chapters. Dean makes you want to know what's bumping in the night but scared to look outside at the same time. It was a hard book to put down. Very good book, highly recommended. Earned every star. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
In my beginning is my end.
-T. S. Eliot, East Coker
When you're alone in the middle of the night and you wake in a sweat and a hell of a fright . . .
-T. S. Eliot, Fragment of an Agon
This book is dedicated to Joe Stefko:
great drummer, publisher of equisite special editions, dog-lover . . . three virtues that guarantee Heaven.
The bad feet can be overlooked.
A few minutes past one o'clock in the morning, a hard rain fell without warning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,404,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible