Pup and Bear by Kate Banks

Pup and Bear (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Kate Banks (Author)

A stranded wolf cub is rescued and raised by a loving polar bear, and years later when he is grown into a wolf and on his own, he comes upon a lost polar bear cub, and the cycle begins again.
Member:LE3Lib
Title:Pup and Bear
Authors:Kate Banks (Author)
Info:Schwartz & Wade Books (2017), 32 pages

Work Information

Pup and Bear by Kate Banks (2017)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A sort of sweet story about a polar bear adopting a wolf pup becomes a snooze as it turns into a parade of other wild animals and a hoary fable about the "wheel of life." Yawn. ( )
  villemezbrown | Feb 13, 2020 |
This book is a picture book with both texts and images. The unit of this picture book is by page spread. The author did not separate left and right page.

The art style of the pictures are like pencil painting with colors. Though they are two-dimensional, the illustrator use shadows to make images look real. The author use soft and blurry lines in drawing. Though the background of the story is either grey or white or ivory, the author use soft colors to make the story looks comfortable and cozy to readers.

I suppose one of the theme in the story is about orphans. Like the cubs in the story, orphans are separated from their birth parents and be adopted by other adults. Like the cubs in the story that they always said, "but you are not my mom." I guess orphans often say this to themselves and felt hard to believe in others. This warm story tells children that other adults can be nice and reliable. Not only mom but also other people are willing to provide help to children. This could be extended from orphans to all children. I understand that there could be dangers out there to children, but the positive attitude here in the story about building trust is also important.

Another theme in the story is about give and take. When the fox got lost with his pack, he receive care from polar bear. When the fox grew up, he tried to give same care to other polar bear cub. It tells readers that love can be passed on. ( )
  Catherine52 | Jan 26, 2019 |

Kate Banksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stoop, NaokoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Joel G. - K.B.
For my parents, who adopted a dog for me and changed my life. - N.S.
WHOOSH! When the great gray owl swooped down, screching whoo-whoo, the Arctic wolves knew that the Big Freeze was on its way.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,209,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible