Third Son's a Charm

by Shana Galen

Series: The Survivors [Galen] (1)

Fiercely loyal to his friends and comrades, Ewan Mostyn is the toughest in a group of younger sons of nobility who met as soldiers and are now trying desperately to settle back into peaceful Society. Ewan trusts his brawn more than his brains, but when he's offered a job watching the Duke of Ridlington's stubbornly independent daughter, he finds both are challenged. Lady Lorraine wants none of her father's high-handed ways, and she'll do everything in her power to avoid her distressingly attractive bodyguard -- until she lands herself in real trouble. Lorraine begins to see Ewan's protectiveness in a new light, and she can only hope that her stoic guardian will do for her what he's always done--fight for what he loves.… (more)

Third Son's a Charm (The Survivors) by Shana Galen
Ms. Galen knows what's appealing to the heart, but sets her sights on stimulating the mind.  Third Son's a Charm is a seductive puzzle.  Every sense is on high alert.  Sizzling attraction puts a mischievous lady and a duty bound soldier on a collision course with romance and intrigue unlike any other.  Hidden agendas, secret liaisons and read herrings at every turn make the road treacherous, but no less thrilling.  Never malicious but always delicious, Shana Galen is romance on the edge.  Exciting, inviting and delighting. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
2.5 stars ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Thoroughly enjoyed. The story line captured my interest and wouldn't let it go! The characters were refreshingly real. Lady Lorraine is a little stuck up, reckless, and immature. Her mother and father go through what almost every couple go through, her brother is a cad. And Ewan was my favorite. I haven't read a romance where the hero is a little slow and dyslexic. My heart always latches on the wallflower characters.
5/5, go Galen! ( )
  katiesoars | Jul 18, 2018 |
** spoiler alert ** This was an interesting and enjoyable read. I liked that while the main romance was happening, the heroine’s parents, or rather, her father, decided to try to repair their marriage as well. That was almost as interesting to me as the rest of the story, because it’s the first time I remember seeing that done, and the background of the breakdown of their marriage was all based on misunderstandings and lies. And there’s the main plot, with the background plot of all the men who survived one division of the Napoleonic War. It’s not the first time the latter has been done, but it was done well. I also liked the fact that Ewan has dyslexia and has been mistaken his whole life by those who don’t really know him as an idiot. So when the villain turns out to be the cousin who tortured him during their childhood, that was an unexpected surprise. Character development was subtle and mostly about self-awareness on Ewan’s part and the realization that he was more than the summation of others’ opinions of him. It was good enough that I have the second book out, this one about Neil. ( )
  waclements7 | Jun 6, 2018 |
Series: The Survivors #1
Publication Date: 11/7/17

This book was a wonderful breath of fresh air. The writing was excellent as was the pacing and character development. I can hardly wait to meet the rest of the survivors and see them find their HEA with just the perfect mate for them.

I loved the characters in this book – especially Lorrie and Ewan, but I also loved her parents as well as the members of the Survivors who made appearances. I loved the banter between them and how well they worked together while saving Lorrie.

There were thirty totally expendable younger sons of the nobility who made up an elite group of warriors during the Peninsular war. This group was assigned to the most dangerous and deadly missions in the war. Only twelve returned and they became known as Draven’s Dozen. In this book, we meet four of them – Ewan (our hero), Jasper, Neil, and Rafe. Each of the men had a special talent – Jasper was an outstanding tracker, Neil was the leader, Rafe the lover and Ewan – well – he thought bashing heads was his only talent. Each also had a ‘title’ – Ewan was called The Protector. I will be so excited to find out who the next hero will be – Neil certainly seems to be the most troubled.

Lady Lorraine (Lorrie) Caldwell is the youngest child and only daughter of the Duke of Ridlington. She often feels overlooked – not unloved, just often unnoticed. She is sweet, lovely, intelligent, naïve, stubborn and headstrong – not necessarily in that order. She is also desperately, madly in love with Francis Mostyn – at least she thinks she is. He has asked her father for her hand, but her father refused because he firmly believes that Francis is only after her dowry. After a thwarted attempt at elopement, her father hires a bodyguard. And what a bodyguard he is! Lorrie rarely thinks of him by name, she just thinks of him as The Viking.

Golden-maned Ewan Mostyn is the youngest son of the Earl of Pembroke. To say that Ewan had a troubled childhood would be putting it mildly. You just fall in love with him – you can’t help it – you just do. He loves bashing heads together and that is why he works at Langley’s Hell – and he owns a share of the club. He is totally flabbergasted when the Duke of Ridlington summons him and offers him the job of being a bodyguard for his daughter. His main task is to keep her away from Francis and thwart any elopement attempts. Since Ewan detests his cousin Francis and agrees with the Duke that Francis is only after Lorrie’s dowry, he accepts the job immediately.

At first, Lorrie tries to outwit Ewan and it is funny to watch him turn the tables on her time and again. Then, as they spend time together and get to know each other – feelings develop. Ewan tries his best to fight those feelings because he doesn’t feel that he’s good enough for her – and at the same time Lorrie is doing her best to seduce him. Watching them get to know and love each other is heartwarming.

I always try to tell what I love about a book and what I don’t. Well – I LOVED everything about this book, so it is hard to single one thing out. I did enjoy the secondary love story with the Duke and Duchess though. What I don’t love isn’t something that is in the book – it is something that isn’t in the book! I always, always, always absolutely hate it when the bad guys don’t get any punishment. In this particular case – one of them not only didn’t get any punishment, he profited. I really wish Ewan had just let that worthless excuse of a human being that was his father stay ruined. Ewan sure didn’t get anything from it and it was supposed to be for his brothers and sisters that he wanted to save the family fortunes. Well—where were they when Ewan needed them? I would say let them all sink. Then, there is Francis – he got kicked out of the house – BIG DEAL. I would have probably made this a 5-star review if the author had chosen to deal with the Earl and Francis.

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpages...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Dec 11, 2017 |

Shana Galenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aston, VictoriaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Shana Galen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,644,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible