Third Son's a Charm by Shana Galen

Third Son's a Charm

by Shana Galen

Series: The Survivors [Shana Galen] (Nov 2017 - 1)

Thoroughly enjoyed. The story line captured my interest and wouldn't let it go! The characters were refreshingly real. Lady Lorraine is a little stuck up, reckless, and immature. Her mother and father go through what almost every couple go through, her brother is a cad. And Ewan was my favorite. I haven't read a romance where the hero is a little slow and dyslexic. My heart always latches on the wallflower characters.
5/5, go Galen! ( )
  katiesoars | Jul 18, 2018 |
** spoiler alert ** This was an interesting and enjoyable read. I liked that while the main romance was happening, the heroine’s parents, or rather, her father, decided to try to repair their marriage as well. That was almost as interesting to me as the rest of the story, because it’s the first time I remember seeing that done, and the background of the breakdown of their marriage was all based on misunderstandings and lies. And there’s the main plot, with the background plot of all the men who survived one division of the Napoleonic War. It’s not the first time the latter has been done, but it was done well. I also liked the fact that Ewan has dyslexia and has been mistaken his whole life by those who don’t really know him as an idiot. So when the villain turns out to be the cousin who tortured him during their childhood, that was an unexpected surprise. Character development was subtle and mostly about self-awareness on Ewan’s part and the realization that he was more than the summation of others’ opinions of him. It was good enough that I have the second book out, this one about Neil. ( )
  waclements7 | Jun 6, 2018 |
Series: The Survivors #1
Publication Date: 11/7/17

This book was a wonderful breath of fresh air. The writing was excellent as was the pacing and character development. I can hardly wait to meet the rest of the survivors and see them find their HEA with just the perfect mate for them.

I loved the characters in this book – especially Lorrie and Ewan, but I also loved her parents as well as the members of the Survivors who made appearances. I loved the banter between them and how well they worked together while saving Lorrie.

There were thirty totally expendable younger sons of the nobility who made up an elite group of warriors during the Peninsular war. This group was assigned to the most dangerous and deadly missions in the war. Only twelve returned and they became known as Draven’s Dozen. In this book, we meet four of them – Ewan (our hero), Jasper, Neil, and Rafe. Each of the men had a special talent – Jasper was an outstanding tracker, Neil was the leader, Rafe the lover and Ewan – well – he thought bashing heads was his only talent. Each also had a ‘title’ – Ewan was called The Protector. I will be so excited to find out who the next hero will be – Neil certainly seems to be the most troubled.

Lady Lorraine (Lorrie) Caldwell is the youngest child and only daughter of the Duke of Ridlington. She often feels overlooked – not unloved, just often unnoticed. She is sweet, lovely, intelligent, naïve, stubborn and headstrong – not necessarily in that order. She is also desperately, madly in love with Francis Mostyn – at least she thinks she is. He has asked her father for her hand, but her father refused because he firmly believes that Francis is only after her dowry. After a thwarted attempt at elopement, her father hires a bodyguard. And what a bodyguard he is! Lorrie rarely thinks of him by name, she just thinks of him as The Viking.

Golden-maned Ewan Mostyn is the youngest son of the Earl of Pembroke. To say that Ewan had a troubled childhood would be putting it mildly. You just fall in love with him – you can’t help it – you just do. He loves bashing heads together and that is why he works at Langley’s Hell – and he owns a share of the club. He is totally flabbergasted when the Duke of Ridlington summons him and offers him the job of being a bodyguard for his daughter. His main task is to keep her away from Francis and thwart any elopement attempts. Since Ewan detests his cousin Francis and agrees with the Duke that Francis is only after Lorrie’s dowry, he accepts the job immediately.

At first, Lorrie tries to outwit Ewan and it is funny to watch him turn the tables on her time and again. Then, as they spend time together and get to know each other – feelings develop. Ewan tries his best to fight those feelings because he doesn’t feel that he’s good enough for her – and at the same time Lorrie is doing her best to seduce him. Watching them get to know and love each other is heartwarming.

I always try to tell what I love about a book and what I don’t. Well – I LOVED everything about this book, so it is hard to single one thing out. I did enjoy the secondary love story with the Duke and Duchess though. What I don’t love isn’t something that is in the book – it is something that isn’t in the book! I always, always, always absolutely hate it when the bad guys don’t get any punishment. In this particular case – one of them not only didn’t get any punishment, he profited. I really wish Ewan had just let that worthless excuse of a human being that was his father stay ruined. Ewan sure didn’t get anything from it and it was supposed to be for his brothers and sisters that he wanted to save the family fortunes. Well—where were they when Ewan needed them? I would say let them all sink. Then, there is Francis – he got kicked out of the house – BIG DEAL. I would have probably made this a 5-star review if the author had chosen to deal with the Earl and Francis.

Please check out my reviews at:
Blog: https://flippinpages.blog/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/flippinpages...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FlippinPagesRev

"I requested and received this e-book at no cost to me and volunteered to read it; my review is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher." ( )
  BarbaraRogers | Dec 11, 2017 |
No rating for this. DNF at 50%. I seem to be having bad luck with historical romances as of late.

I received this ARC from Netgalley. I requeated this because I really liked the blurb (love bodyguard romances). I was so looking forward to reading this and so wanted to love this but I found myself bored. It's one of those it's just me situations as the writing style was not to my preference. To much monotonous details and not enough action.

And there was the extra POVs thrown into the mix I found unnecessary and quite put off by it as they were from the heroine's parents who had a strained relationship.

In the end, this wasn't a hard decision to DNF this.
  odetteoswald | Dec 10, 2017 |
Full review appeared on Reader's Edyn on 11/05/17

Lady Lorraine Ridlington has a propensity toward bad sense. Always getting herself into potentially scandalous situations, and fancying herself in love with a less than desirable man, Lorraine is the only daughter of a Duke and stands to inherit a substantial fortune. Her father decides to hire a bodyguard for her. His mission is simple – keep her away from Francis (his cousin) and allow her to be introduced to other potential suitors who might make her happy. Lorraine is appalled at having a bodyguard thwart her secret rendezvous with Francis, but she is also dangerously attracted to him. He reminds her of Francis, but is also nothing like him. The more time they spend together, the more she learns about him, and the more she wants him. Scandal be damned, she’s going to get through to Ewan and she’s not above using her body to make it happen. Of course, the added bonus of knowing him intimately isn’t much a deterrent. But he’s a third son and convincing him of his worth is going to be an order that may even be taller than she realizes.

Ewan Mostyn is a third son. The heir, the spare, and the third son. He wasn’t needed and his options in life were few, so he went in to the service. A man of very few words – more frequently one-word answers when absolutely necessary. Ewan is known as a bit of an enforcer following his service for his country and he really only ever associates with his former “special ops” team. They survived several dangerous missions together and are now bonded as former brothers in arms. When Ewan if offered a position to protect Lorrie, he practically jumps at it. Francis may have been his cousin, but he’s never been trustworthy, and he immediately knows he’s up to something in his pursuit of Lorraine. Doesn’t hurt that he’ll be able to exact some revenge on Francis by keeping him away from his target – nasty in childhood and favored by his father even now, Ewan has no love lost for his cousin and he’s going to make sure he not only stays away from Lorrie, he’s going to uncover his true intentions. But falling for Lorrie wasn’t part of the plan and Ewan’s protective instincts toward the sensual woman is something he’s never dealt with before.

Shana Galen is one of my go-to authors, so this review was automatic. I adore Historical and her style of writing always guarantees a world in which the reader becomes well and truly immersed. Once I start a book, I do not stop until it is complete. I was curious how in the heck she was going to make this story work initially. Ewan literally spoke very few words and didn’t seem like much of a sweep-you-off-of-your-feet kind of guy. And Lorrie isn’t your typical Duke’s daughter. She knows how to behave, but she says what she is thinking and feeling – and that doesn’t include her passionate sexual curiosity. She is an innocent, but she has some understand of what she speaks of despite her inability to process her exact feelings. She only knows she experiences an intense longing that builds when Ewan is around and the more time they spend together; the closer they get; the more stolen kisses; the deeper her longing and the closer they skate near her ruin. I absolutely loved that Lorrie knew what she wanted and wasn’t afraid to go after it. And Ewan in his quest to remain honorable to his word struggles to resist her and her wanton displays of desire for him. Every time he tries to gain an upper hand, she not only calls his bluff, but raises the ante. It’s a unique situation that I rarely encounter within historical characters and I loved every moment. I was thrilled with how Ewan broke out of his shell – so to speak – at least with Lorrie. And super cute addition – not only does the reader get to watch this romance blossom, they are also treated to a second romance plot within.

I really cannot think of a single aspect I disliked within this book. I did enjoy most of Ewan’s combat friends and the glimpse in to their lives – and especially the end of the book that leads me to assume who the next victim to love will be in this series. 😊 I can’t wait to revisit the Survivors series and hope to encounter both Lorrie and Ewan again in subsequent books. The banter, wit, and Ewan’s no nonsense single word answers were a joy – and I frequently found myself giggling as I read, which doesn’t count the several times I was reading with a huge grin on my face. Galen crafts a world with unlikely lead characters who beautifully blossom into something charming and unexpected – characters you can’t help but adore. Underdogs, romance, a bit of suspense, heroes, strong-willed characters, wit and charm, all wrapped up in a brilliantly engaging plot – lovers of Historical are guaranteed to love this latest Galen treasure.

Kindle version provided by Sourcebooks Casablanca/NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Dec 9, 2017 |

Shana Galenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aston, VictoriaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Fiercely loyal to his friends and comrades, Ewan Mostyn is the toughest in a group of younger sons of nobility who met as soldiers and are now trying desperately to settle back into peaceful Society. Ewan trusts his brawn more than his brains, but when he's offered a job watching the Duke of Ridlington's stubbornly independent daughter, he finds both are challenged. Lady Lorraine wants none of her father's high-handed ways, and she'll do everything in her power to avoid her distressingly attractive bodyguard -- until she lands herself in real trouble. Lorraine begins to see Ewan's protectiveness in a new light, and she can only hope that her stoic guardian will do for her what he's always done--fight for what he loves.… (more)

Shana Galen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,837,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible